Apples

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
I eat a Gala apple every morning. My favorite kind, and I like them cold, so I keep my apples refrigerated.

To me, the Red Delicious are pretty lousy ... the skin is too thick and they don't have as much flavor or juice.

Hos, I'll have to look for the kind you mentioned. Haven't seen those yet.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Chief;3833876 said:
I eat a Gala apple every morning. My favorite kind, and I like them cold, so I keep my apples refrigerated.

To me, the Red Delicious are pretty lousy ... the skin is too thick and they don't have as much flavor or juice.

I have had Galas and like them. I have had just about every type you can imagine.

None of the others come close to the Pacific Rose. That was the point of the thread to get people to try that apple. I hope some besides you will.

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
pupulehaole;3833777 said:
have u had lychee? its like the better version of Rambutan but i do enjoy rambutan

Yes, I've had lychee, longan, and rambutans. Hands down my favorite are FRESH rambutans (not canned). My favorite canned is lychee because the flavor is better. But, rambutans are sweeter and juicer fresh than lychee. Fresh lychees can sometime be a little sour.

Fresh rambutan's in the U.S. are ridiculously expensive though.

I also love Durian, but my boyfriend won't kiss me after I eat it, even in ice-cream form b/c most Americans can't stand the smell of them.

durian.jpg

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
No better tasting apple than a Fuji apple imo.

The absolute best fruit I have ever had is a Japanese white peach. The season is very short, about 4 weeks in the summer and they are expensive. But, they are worth it.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
ninja;3833951 said:

The absolute best fruit I have ever had is a Japanese white peach. The season is very short, about 4 weeks in the summer and they are expensive. But, they are worth it.

I like Fuji apples, too. If the Galas are gone, that's where I head.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I had a cheeseburger a couple nights ago that had bacon, maple mayo and slices of granny smith apples.

Man was that good.

arglebargle

Reaction score
VietCowboy;3833767 said:
I love rambutans.

and Mangosteen

But I disagree: no Durian! The burps will kill ya! The smell is definitely not worth the taste, for me.

rash

Reaction score
arglebargle;3834086 said:
But I disagree: no Durian! The burbs will kill ya! The smell is definitely not worth the taste, for me.

lol ur just like my sister

arglebargle

Reaction score
I like apples just fine. Actually, most fruit. Will have to try this Pacific Rose, and see if it's up to the praise.

Just recently had a good friend bake an apple pie using Jonathon apples (and a second with Jonagold), and they were some of the best apple pies I had ever tasted. Good baking apples are not always the same as eating apples. If you are doing pies, you might want to consider giving Jonathons a try.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
VietCowboy;3833938 said:
I also love Durian, but my boyfriend won't kiss me after I eat it, even in ice-cream form b/c most Americans can't stand the smell of them.

I've actually had durian ice cream. It wasn't half bad. It's not something I'd go out of my way to find, but if it were between no ice cream and eating some durian ice cream, I'd definitely have a bowl.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
ninja;3833951 said:

Try the one I suggest.

Just found a thing that said a Pacific Rose is a cross between a Gala apple and a Splendor apple.

jubal

Reaction score
Chief;3833876 said:

Love me some Galas and red del.
Will try new stuff like Dashoos porkchop sounds good,nothing tart like Granny Smith, the wife likes tart stuff.

jubal

Reaction score
Vtwin;3833983 said:
I had a cheeseburger a couple nights ago that had bacon, maple mayo and slices of granny smith apples.

Man was that good.

Where did you come across that?? Have to be a MOM and POP place,chains wouldn't touch it.
Especially Maple Mayo,where would you find something like that?

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I'm calling my local grocery store right now to see if they carry these.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I baked an Apple Pie about three weeks ago with these Apples. Good stuff.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
casmith07;3839503 said:
Tell me what to do! You have PayPal to pay for shipping?
I do.

I can't go get some today, but I will this week and I'll shoot you a line to make arrangements. If I haven't by Friday, give me a nudge to remind me.