April thoughts

rambo2

Reaction score
April is here and it appears that this draft can go many ways for the Cowboys. I don't think anything is a lock. I'm getting the feeling that Jackson Powers-Johnson may be falling out of favor because of a possible health issue.

The tackles that I like are Troy Fautanu, Amarius Mims, and Jordan Morgan. I like them in that order. I've seen Tyler Guyton mocked to the Cowboys, but I would pick somebody else.

There is talk that Graham Barton is moving up and may be gone before Dallas is on the board.

Brian Thomas Jr. and Laiatu Latu are interesting. It wouldn't surprise me if Dallas took either one of them if they fell.

A guy that I really like is Payton Wilson. I noticed that he is a 30 visit guy. There is no way that he will be available at 56. He is just too impressive even with his past injury history. To me he is worth the risk and I would take him. I encourage everybody to go and watch his videos. Games, combine, and interviews. It wouldn't surprise me if they took him.

Another guy that I like is Braden Fiske. There is no way that he will be available at 56. This guy is a guy that I would like have. He can disrupt from the inside.

At this point, I would be very happy if Fautanu fell to them. I would be thrilled if they got Payton Wilson. I would love watching him play.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Fautanu would be great at 24 but not looking like he’ll be there. It will be close.

Mims has a super high ceiling but IMO we don’t have the coaching or environment for him. He needs a lot of polishing.

JPJ is still in the conversation. Game film and a great Senior Bowl still carry a lot of weight.

I am not big on Morgan. I think he’s limited.

I too like Payton Wilson and Braden Fiske a lot. I think we are in no man’s land for both. 24 is too high and 56 is too late.

They’ve really put a ton of pressure on themselves to have an amazing draft. If nothing else, it will be fun to watch.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
My biggest takeaway is that this is a stacked draft class and it's going to be hard for us to screw it up. The only 1st round candidates who would really tick me off are Guyton and Payton Wilson (injuries).

Dallas has shown time and again that if grades are close, they will take the athletic freak covered in red flags over the guy with solid tape. So if I had to guess, their 1st round shortlist is probably Mims, Guyton, Wilson, and Brian Thomas Jr.

Jonathan Brooks just feels like a lock for the second round. Total Jerry pick. Watch out for Trevin Wallace too.

rambo2

Reaction score
My biggest takeaway is that this is a stacked draft class and it's going to be hard for us to screw it up. The only 1st round candidates who would really tick me off are Guyton and Payton Wilson (injuries).

Dallas has shown time and again that if grades are close, they will take the athletic freak covered in red flags over the guy with solid tape. So if I had to guess, their 1st round shortlist is probably Mims, Guyton, Wilson, and Brian Thomas Jr.

Jonathan Brooks just feels like a lock for the second round. Total Jerry pick. Watch out for Trevin Wallace too.
Have you watched Wilson?

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Have you watched Wilson?
I have. Wilson's tape is really good... but Sean Lee, Bruce Carter, Jaylon, and LVE all had some fantastic college tape as well. And every one had health issues from college follow them to Dallas.

At this point, I'm just burned out on drafting uber-athletic, injury prone LBs. I've seen this movie too many times before now.

rambo2

Reaction score
I have. Wilson's tape is really good... but Sean Lee, Bruce Carter, Jaylon, and LVE all had some fantastic college tape as well. And every one had health issues from college follow them to Dallas.

At this point, I'm burned out on drafting uber-athletic, injury prone LBs. I've just seen this movie too many times before now.
He is the best linebacker period. They sure put him back together well and he isn't hurt now. The fastest linebacker and with outstanding instincts and an incredible worth ethic and character.

morasp

Reaction score
Some thoughts on those guys. I like Fautanu and would like to get him but he may move inside to OG w/ Tyler moving back to OT. Mims and Jordan would also be good. One thing about whichever OL they pick, they've been pretty successful when they take one early so whoever it is I'm good with it until they're proven wrong. There are a lot of medical flags on these guys, I don't think I would be comfortable w/ Latu or Wilson. Lance has had Barton ranked high from the first ranking, it will be interesting to see how he holds up when the list is updated.

ErikWilliamsHeadSlap

Reaction score
Podcasts, blogs, message boards, etc. all of them with different opinions on what players wont be available at 24, or if we drop back to the end of the first or 56 or 87. There doesn't seem to be any consensus as to where players will be drafted. Which should make for fun viewing. Should lead to lots of trades.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
He is the best linebacker period. They sure put him back together well and he isn't hurt now. The fastest linebacker and with outstanding instincts and an incredible worth ethic and character.
Wilson seems like LVE 2.0 to me. LVE was an All-Pro his rookie year and then the neck issues caught up to him season 2 and he never was the same. I can’t imagine the Joneses being ok with Wilson in round 1 or 2.

rambo2

Reaction score
Wilson seems like LVE 2.0 to me. LVE was an All-Pro his rookie year and then the neck issues caught up to him season 2 and he never was the same. I can’t imagine the Joneses being ok with Wilson in round 1 or 2.
LVE never ran anywhere close to 4.4. Watch the play against Notre Dame where Wilson runs a guy down 40 yards down the field. We are talking about the fastest linebacker in football.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Fautanu would be great at 24 but not looking like he’ll be there. It will be close.

Mims has a super high ceiling but IMO we don’t have the coaching or environment for him. He needs a lot of polishing.

JPJ is still in the conversation. Game film and a great Senior Bowl still carry a lot of weight.

I am not big on Morgan. I think he’s limited.

I too like Payton Wilson and Braden Fiske a lot. I think we are in no man’s land for both. 24 is too high and 56 is too late.

They’ve really put a ton of pressure on themselves to have an amazing draft. If nothing else, it will be fun to watch.
I think both Wilson and Fiske are excellent trade back targets. Of coarse, it will depend upon who is available at 24.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
April is here and it appears that this draft can go many ways for the Cowboys. I don't think anything is a lock. I'm getting the feeling that Jackson Powers-Johnson may be falling out of favor because of a possible health issue.

The tackles that I like are Troy Fautanu, Amarius Mims, and Jordan Morgan. I like them in that order. I've seen Tyler Guyton mocked to the Cowboys, but I would pick somebody else.

There is talk that Graham Barton is moving up and may be gone before Dallas is on the board.

Brian Thomas Jr. and Laiatu Latu are interesting. It wouldn't surprise me if Dallas took either one of them if they fell.

A guy that I really like is Payton Wilson. I noticed that he is a 30 visit guy. There is no way that he will be available at 56. He is just too impressive even with his past injury history. To me he is worth the risk and I would take him. I encourage everybody to go and watch his videos. Games, combine, and interviews. It wouldn't surprise me if they took him.

Another guy that I like is Braden Fiske. There is no way that he will be available at 56. This guy is a guy that I would like have. He can disrupt from the inside.

At this point, I would be very happy if Fautanu fell to them. I would be thrilled if they got Payton Wilson. I would love watching him play.
Fautanu is my favorite out of the group of Mims, Guyton and him. Could play either Guard or Tackle, which Cowboys always target.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
LVE never ran anywhere close to 4.4. Watch the play against Notre Dame where Wilson runs a guy down 40 yards down the field. We are talking about the fastest linebacker in football.
That has an injury history that you seem to be ignoring. It seems every player that we have drafted with an injury history at linebacker gets hurt. Recently it has not just been the linebackers with injury history that gets hurt for us.

rambo2

Reaction score
Wilson is a 30 visit to Dallas. He would have to be a consideration for their 1st pick. I don't see him available at 56 after the season he just had to go a long with his strong combine and interviews.

rambo2

Reaction score
That has an injury history that you seem to be ignoring. It seems every player that we have drafted with an injury history at linebacker gets hurt. Recently it has not just been the linebackers with injury history that gets hurt for us.
I'm not ignoring it. He isn't hurt now. He is a dominant player. Well worth the risk.

rambo2

Reaction score
So far 30 visit guys that could be 1st pick.

Troy Fautanu
Payton Wilson
Edgerrin Cooper

HanD

Reaction score
it definitely felt that LVE was that fast with jaylon and his recovery.

micah playing at lb had that speed but not the instincts yet imo because of his lack of time at the position.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Wilson is a 30 visit to Dallas. He would have to be a consideration for their 1st pick. I don't see him available at 56 after the season he just had to go a long with his strong combine and interviews.
I think Dallas likes him that is why he is a 30 visit no doubt . I think your assessment of him is correct. When I say Wilson reminds me of LVE it’s not an insult. LVE was a top 5 linebacker in the NFL after his rookie season but that neck issue he had in college bit us in the booty his second season.