Archer: Almost impossible Cowboys get Peterson

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Stash, the way this has played out is just another in a series of rumors that was never destined to be fact.
My apologies for jumping into the middle of this. You can see by my sig pic which side I am on. In fact, I just wrote an article that should be out soon about why Dallas should get Adrian Peterson. So I guess I'm giving you fair warning if you don't want to read it.

I wanted to address this comment TD, because I think there is a relevant parallel. Unfortunately it turned out to be a bad move. At the end of the 2007 season Roy Williams cousin told me that he instructed his agent that he wanted to play for the Dallas Cowboys and to do anything he could to land him in Dallas. I asked if I could share that on the forum and was told I could.

Williams was going to be a UFA at the end of the 2008 season. I predicted that Dallas would acquire Williams before the 2008 trading deadline. Much like this story there were media guys talking about it. One guy started it and it snowballed, just like this.

Detroit insisted that they were not going to trade him. It was all over the media. I took a little heat at that time for being so insistent that he was coming. Hey, when I plant my feet, like you I don't like moving or being moved. I planted my feet.

Bang! It happened. Unfortunately for us as Cowboys fans, in the high stakes game of NFL poker, Jerry blinked. We gave up way too much.

Now, I don't think that is going to happen again, but TD I've got to tell ya man, I think AD is coming to the Dallas Cowboys this year to be our primary RB. Much like Detroit, Minnesota holds all the cards. I certainly could be wrong, but I don't think I am. I've been wrong before. It's no big deal.

If he doesn't come, so be it. We take a rookie, and move on. I don't mind that scenario at all.

I just want to say this in defense of the position I am taking. If we add Adrian Peterson to this OL, this passing game, and the Defense we are building I think we add a 6th trophy too. Is that worth it to you? It is to me. I don't see any way anyone beats us if we add him. He is still that good, and he is fresh, pissed off, and wants this.

He's not going to participate in the Vikings off season workouts. The media is going to start feeding on it. He's going to miss OTAs, mini camps, training camp, and the pre-season. If they have mandatory stuff I think he will have an undisclosed injury that prevents him from participating. Pressure, pressure pressure, all on the Vikings.

Again, my apologies for butting in to your convo with stash.

Last edited:

Hardline

Reaction score
Its real simple.

The Cowboys are not giving up premium draft picks and will not get in a bidding war if AP is released.

The only way AP is a Cowboy is if he chooses to play on a contract the Cowboys are willing to give him.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Please, leave the talk of adult film stars and sexual innuendos out of any conversation on this site.

phildadon86

Reaction score
My apologies for jumping into the middle of this. You can see by my sig pic which side I am on. In fact, I just wrote an article that should be out soon about why Dallas should get Adrian Peterson. So I guess I'm giving you fair warning if you don't want to read it.

I wanted to address this comment TD, because I think there is a relevant parallel. Unfortunately it turned out to be a bad move. At the end of the 2007 season Roy Williams cousin told me that he instructed his agent that he wanted to play for the Dallas Cowboys and to do anything he could to land him in Dallas. I asked if I could share that on the forum and was told I could.

Williams was going to be a UFA at the end of the 2008 season. I predicted that Dallas would acquire Williams before the 2008 trading deadline. Much like this story there were media guys talking about it. One guy started it and it snowballed, just like this.

Detroit insisted that they were not going to trade him. It was all over the media. I took a little heat at that time for being so insistent that he was coming. Hey, when I plant my feet, like you I don't like moving or being moved. I planted my feet.

Bang! It happened. Unfortunately for us as Cowboys fans, in the high stakes game of NFL poker, Jerry blinked. We gave up way too much.

Now, I don't think that is going to happen again, but TD I've got to tell ya man, I think AD is coming to the Dallas Cowboys this year to be our primary RB. Much like Detroit, Minnesota holds all the cards. I certainly could be wrong, but I don't think I am. I've been wrong before. It's no big deal.

If he doesn't come, so be it. We take a rookie, and move on. I don't mind that scenario at all.

I just want to say this in defense of the position I am taking. If we add Adrian Peterson to this OL, this passing game, and the Defense we are building I think we add a 6th trophy too. Is that worth it to you? It is to me. I don't see any way anyone beats us if we add him. He is still that good, and he is fresh, pissed off, and wants this.

He's not going to participate in the Vikings off season workouts. The media is going to start feeding on it. He's going to miss OTAs, mini camps, training camp, and the pre-season. If they have mandatory stuff I think he will have an undisclosed injury that prevents him from participating. Pressure, pressure pressure, all on the Vikings.

I'm just curious. You said you knew RW was coming to Dallas and was told by someone close to the situation. Now is the AP scenario the same? Or are you just speculating on a gut feeling?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I'm just curious. You said you knew RW was coming to Dallas and was told by someone close to the situation. Now is the AP scenario the same? Or are you just speculating on a gut feeling?
No one has told me anything at this point. You can call it a gut feeling I guess. I'm fine with that. The person who told me RW wanted to come here is not employed by the NFL, just a poster here who doesn't post. Real good guy.

BiffWellingtonIII

Reaction score
@toddarcher Do you see any chance of Adrian Peterson coming to Dallas, and if so at what expense? #cowboysmail

@toddarcher: When you are around the Cowboys you learn to never rule anything out, so I will not speak absolutely on what could happen between the Cowboys and Peterson. My opinion? I don't see it happening. There are just too many hoops to go through and that "financial discipline," that they were praised for just a few weeks ago would go out the window. It would take premium picks (top three rounds) to get Peterson out of Minnesota, provided the Vikings are even willing to do it. The Cowboys would not be able to fill needs elsewhere by giving up multiple picks. Then there's the cash and cap space. They will restructure Tony Romo's contract just to account for Hardy's roster bonuses, draft picks, injury settlements, practice squad players and the in-season signings. They could designate Brandon Carr a post-June 1 cut and free up $8 million but that doesn't cover Peterson's base salary. A restructure of Jason Witten's contract wouldn't give them enough cash either. Plus, they could get a runner in the draft that could do quite well with this offensive line at a fraction of the cost. Again, is it impossible? No, but it's close.

I agree with you - but what are you willing to pay for AD / AP?

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
After the intensity of the criticism for signing "the woman beater", I just don't see them signing "the child abuser" weeks later.

That's the bigger issue.

I mean how much criticism did we realistically face. It was a news story, politicians politicianed and now nobody is talking about it much.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I suppose I don't see where I suggested this was concocted by anyone here. I know the history of this story. It caught fire with some who fanned the idea and others went along. It was not going to happen then, and as time has worn on it still isn't.

When you tell me you "don't own a crystal ball" a little later in this post, pardon me while I chuckle.

If you know the history of the story you know it started by a report that Peterson called Jerry campaigning to be a Cowboy. When the best back in football is begging the owner of the team to acquire him that is news. It's not fan driven. What you've read is fan reaction. It wasn't anybody's pipe dream. Your thorough lecture and reprimand was not needed. Particularly coming from a guy who has openly campaigned to give DeMarco Murray an abortion of a new contract.

There is a thread here speaking about Romo's cap hit over the next few years. His age remains the same ticking time bomb, as does his back. Will this team get through the other side of this without something drastic - ie. injury, erosion of skills due to age - happening?

I do not own a crystal ball.

But what I suspect is McFadden will not be the featured back. And while we have the usual suspects coming here after "reviewing film" to allay our fears, my thinking is he will be part of a committee assembled when Dallas decides they can poor boy this position by using a 3rd round pick as an addition and get by. Like so many here, they believe it was not Murray being special, but the line solely.

I disagree. It was a combination of the two.

Now with the Giants making noise about the Alabama WR, clock control becomes a premium around here and for this defense.

I find the notion suspect that a team finally finds a groove, and then breaks up what worked. Or the group think which endorses that idea as sound.

I doubt (really hope) McFadden isn't the starter either. What I find really suspect is the thought process that now that you've built a really nice young OL, you need to pay through the nose for a veteran RB coming off of a career year. That he's a must keep. Only he can produce behind this great line.

To me, when you have a great offensive line, that should make you less likely to pay a veteran RB. You have the horses up front to maximize the ability of any RB and there are more than a few who could thrive here. So why pay top dollar for the career year veteran? Why not take advantage of that strength and move those dollars elsewhere?

If you want to pay big dollars to a veteran RB that guy better be special. Peterson is, Murray's not.

DeMarco Murray will leave Philly a hated man. You won't want to talk about this then.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Would you give the 27 if Gurley & Gordon are off the board ?
No, I would not give a pick this year unless it was 4th or later. I personally would not take a RB in round 1, but I won't weep and wail if we do it for one of those guys and I prefer Gurley.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, I would not give a pick this year unless it was 4th or later. I personally would not take a RB in round 1, but I won't weep and wail if we do it for one of those guys and I prefer Gurley.

You really need to stop copying my answers.

:angry:

;)

KB1122

Reaction score
No, his remorse shows he's not tough enough. The Cowboys only go after real hardcore delinquents.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I only do it when you get lucky and are right.

~grin~

Question, do you agree with me that you'd go a 2nd in 2016?

Yeah, I'd be willing to do that. But nothing better than a 4th rounder this year.

And then I think we'd be looking at 3 years $25 million for a contract, most of it guaranteed.

Kick the door in! Leave no doubt!

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yeah, I'd be willing to do that. But nothing better than a 4th rounder this year.

And then I think we'd be looking at 3 years $25 million for a contract, most of it guaranteed.

Kick the door in! Leave no doubt!

I don't know if I would do next years 2nd. It is supposed to be QB and DL heavy. Key word is supposed too, heh.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score

Yeah buddy agree 100%

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Its real simple.

The Cowboys are not giving up premium draft picks and will not get in a bidding war if AP is released.

The only way AP is a Cowboy is if he chooses to play on a contract the Cowboys are willing to give him.

I agree along these lines... AP is going to have to want to come to Dallas. Otherwise some other team is going to offer more then we care to give up. Whether that's through a trade or in contract money if he is released.

But, I think there is a real possibility that is exactly what AP wants. To play for Dallas. In his home state, his childhood team, the strong offensive line he will run behind, the chance at making the playoffs and competing for the SB......and he lives just a few hours away.

I do think those things hold a great deal of weight for an individual. And for AP.

If I had to wager, I would say at some point he ends up a Dallas Cowboy. But I wouldnt wager too much. Maybe a shiny nickel.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I have to ask, would not acquiring Peterson align with the 'push all-in, win now' way of thinking?

It sure does for me, and I've been beating that win now drum for quite a while and it was a key reason why I wanted to sign Hardy as soon as I found out he'd be available.

Would you not consider Peterson an upgrade over Murray at running back?

It would. However, it will take draft picks as well as money. If you are serious about pushing all in, just keep Murray and save the draft picks.

I do not consider Peterson an upgrade over Murray.