Archer: Almost impossible Cowboys get Peterson

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
When you tell me you "don't own a crystal ball" a little later in this post, pardon me while I chuckle.

If you know the history of the story you know it started by a report that Peterson called Jerry campaigning to be a Cowboy. When the best back in football is begging the owner of the team to acquire him that is news. It's not fan driven. What you've read is fan reaction. It wasn't anybody's pipe dream. Your thorough lecture and reprimand was not needed. Particularly coming from a guy who has openly campaigned to give DeMarco Murray an abortion of a new contract.

I doubt (really hope) McFadden isn't the starter either. What I find really suspect is the thought process that now that you've built a really nice young OL, you need to pay through the nose for a veteran RB coming off of a career year. That he's a must keep. Only he can produce behind this great line.

To me, when you have a great offensive line, that should make you less likely to pay a veteran RB. You have the horses up front to maximize the ability of any RB and there are more than a few who could thrive here. So why pay top dollar for the career year veteran? Why not take advantage of that strength and move those dollars elsewhere?

If you want to pay big dollars to a veteran RB that guy better be special. Peterson is, Murray's not.

DeMarco Murray will leave Philly a hated man. You won't want to talk about this then.

I am well aware of when it started. I am also well aware of the horde that jumped on that position and the threads flew. I am commenting on fan reaction, which is the same fan reaction year after year about every rumored bigtime player that hits free agency.

But to your point of how Murray will leave Philly. I have seldom seen you invested in predicting much but taking a position of show me. Seems you are now in the busioness of Madame Cleo with the Murray remark.

And since everyone on the planet is hated by Philly, just because they can, and the moving of Shady McCoy which ultimately resulted in acquiring a Dallas Cowboy, your prediction isn't exactly going out on a limb.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I sometimes wonder why you post here. It appears this is about the sum total of your commentary. A big bag of nothing.

I would say the same to you. You post the same memes over and over again and then bluster certainty in an obviously uncertain world. You not only don't contribute, you mislead and misconstrue.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am well aware of when it started. I am also well aware of the horde that jumped on that position and the threads flew. I am commenting on fan reaction, which is the same fan reaction year after year about every rumored bigtime player that hits free agency.

I'd say this one is a little different. Unless every rumored big time free agent is calling the owner begging to get on the team.

I'm not sure what you expected from the fans. We had a hole at RB this offseason. Last year's starter was a free agent. The best RB in football wants out of Minnesota and in to Dallas. Why wouldn't fans of the Cowboys hope that can happen? If it was anybody's "pipe dream" it was Adrian Peterson's.

But to your point of how Murray will leave Philly. I have seldom seen you invested in predicting much but taking a position of show me. Seems you are now in the busioness of Madame Cleo with the Murray remark.

You've never seen me predict things? You must have me confused with someone else. Wait and see has never been my approach. Anybody can wait and see. If we're all going to wait until the facts are in to have an opinion, close this board down. It's not needed.

And since everyone on the planet is hated by Philly, just because they can, and the moving of Shady McCoy which ultimately resulted in acquiring a Dallas Cowboy, your prediction isn't exactly going out on a limb.

Well if Murray is this key piece that Dallas has to re-sign (your stance) then surely he should be able to help the Eagles win. If he does, he'll be beloved there. McCoy didn't leave hated. Help the Eagles win on the field and they'll love you. I'm saying he won't. I'm saying he won't ever look like the player you saw last year. He'll be in and out of the line up before the Eagles eventually cut bait on that contract. He'll leave Philly hated as an over paid, overrated mistake.

I'm talking about the league's leading rusher last year. A flop in Philly. I'm not sure there's a smaller limb on the tree.

BTW, I'm not saying this because it's Philly. It's been my stance all along. The team that signed Murray will live to regret it. I've said that for months. Had the Cowboys re-signed Murray I would probably be banned here stating this same opinion.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It would. However, it will take draft picks as well as money. If you are serious about pushing all in, just keep Murray and save the draft picks.

I do not consider Peterson an upgrade over Murray.

I'll respectfully disagree there. Murray is good, maybe very good. And I feel that Peterson is great, and worth making the exception for.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I'll respectfully disagree there. Murray is good, maybe very good. And I feel that Peterson is great, and worth making the exception for.

Yet all the knocks on Murray other than speed fit Peterson to a T.

Injury - fumbles - plus age.

plasticman

Reaction score
Adrian Peterson is not an accomplished receiver, a requirement for Garrett's offense. He was never considered despite anything you heard.

When you take all the top RB's over the past 3 seasons and factor in their receiving yards you will find that Adrian Peterson and DeMarco Murray's "yards per touch" are almost a perfect match.

If they needed that type of productivity and had the ability to make cap room then they would have kept Murray,

PlayerCarriesYardsYPCReceptionsYardsYPCYards Per Touch
Jamaal Charles76239125.1315012298.195.6
Fred Jackson63227864.4118615478.325.3
Matt Forte100644684.4427222328.215.2
Adrian Peterson85644085.15895456.125.2
DeMarco Murray93445264.8517011967.045.2
Reggie Bush74233754.5517213477.835.2
LeSean McCoy109950754.6218213827.595.0
Arian Foster101044364.3915313448.785.0
Marshawn Lynch118153574.5412410918.84.9
Ryan Mathews76533834.421249657.784.9
Ray Rice76231674.1619515037.714.9
Frank Gore107146594.35726008.334.6
Chris Johnson97240304.1515911467.214.6
Steven Jackson86534403.981339937.474.4

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yet all the knocks on Murray other than speed fit Peterson to a T.

Injury - fumbles - plus age.

Even if I made that concession (which I don't), the speed factor alone is enough to drastically separate the two. Plenty of us saw runs that were blocked nearly perfectly and Murray looked to be running to darkness rather than hitting the home run.

I think few would say that had Peterson had the same blocking, he would have finished the job.

Few NFL fans, especially outside of Dallas, would put Murray in the same league with Peterson.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Even if I made that concession (which I don't), the speed factor alone is enough to drastically separate the two. Plenty of us saw runs that were blocked nearly perfectly and Murray looked to be running to darkness rather than hitting the home run.

I think few would say that had Peterson had the same blocking, he would have finished the job.

Few NFL fans, especially outside of Dallas, would put Murray in the same league with Peterson.

Stash, you and I have been around for a long time. I respect you a great deal. You say what you believe and stick with your guns. However, I just don't buy into a fan sitting in the stands suggesting the fan knows better than Murray which was to run the ball. Or that Peterson would have made the right cut.

Age has so much to do with this for me. If Peterson were to miraculously be a Cowboy, I would be happy. But I also would be waiting for his injury at some point, and his demise if the contract was more than a year long.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stash, you and I have been around for a long time. I respect you a great deal. You say what you believe and stick with your guns. However, I just don't buy into a fan sitting in the stands suggesting the fan knows better than Murray which was to run the ball. Or that Peterson would have made the right cut.

Much respect to you as well, thanks. And I take no offense to that comment, I know it's easy for me to criticize from my couch. But that's just my opinion and anybody can value it as much or as little as they deem appropriate.

[quite]Age has so much to do with this for me. If Peterson were to miraculously be a Cowboy, I would be happy. But I also would be waiting for his injury at some point, and his demise if the contract was more than a year long.[/quote]

And I could not blame you, it's a legitimate concern and one I would have to an extent as well. But, for what it's worth, I think Peterson is just a different kind of a physical specimen. I think he's blessed with genetics superior to most all other athletes, that's why I feel he's the exception to the running back rules.

But I don't blame or begrudge anyone for feeling different or expressing it. We're all right sometimes and we're wrong too, this place would get boring otherwise. I respect your stance her and appreciate the conversation. But one of us has an "I told ya so!" coming!

;)

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
I like doing the impossible.

Me too. Though I don't get why it's "impossible". In the NFL, when two parties want something to happen it usually does. There's going to be a lot of "shocked" people on this forum come April.

Would you rather have the best running back in football and lose a 3rd, or take a chance on a rookie running back and give up a 1st. I'd rather have Adrian Peterson and 6'4," 336-pound Eddie Goldman anchoring the middle of our defensive line next to Hardy on the end.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Another source indicating where Arizona may go. Peterson is coming to Dallas!!

Andre Ellington forced just 20 missed tackles on 247 touches last season.
Out of 18 running backs who accounted for at least 50 percent of his team's attempts, Ellington received by-far PFF's worst "elusive rating." It's just another sign that the Cardinals can't rely on 199-pound Ellington as their backfield workhorse. He's a change-up back and complementary piece to use in space, not a foundation back who can bang it between the tackles. Arizona would love for Georgia RB Todd Gurley to be there at No. 24 overall in the draft.
Source:
[SIZE=+0]Pro Football Focus [/SIZE]

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
I"m not even doing a google search.....Adrain Peterson is coming!!
By Steve DelVecchio

It has become very clear over the past several weeks that Adrian Peterson no longer wants to play for the Minnesota Vikings. What is less clear is where he might end up if the Vikings grant him his wish. Are the Dallas Cowboys still in the mix?
According to ESPN’s Ed Werder, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was hesitant to go beyond a certain dollar amount to bring back DeMarco Murray because he wanted to be sure the team had enough cash available if another opportunity arose.

“I know that when Jerry Jones was negotiating DeMarco Murray’s contract and bidding to keep him, he imposed strict financial limits on how far the Cowboys would go,” Werder said Tuesday. “One factor is that Jones wanted to make sure that if there was an unusual opportunity to present itself for a unique Hall of Fame-type player, like Adrian Peterson, that they had the financial flexibility to go try and make the deal.”

Werder added that Peterson is unlikely to take a pay cut, which has led many to believe the Cowboys would have been better off paying Murray — who is 27 — $8 million per season rather than giving the 30-year-old Peterson $12 million per year.

That said, a previous report indicated that Peterson would be willing to restructure his contract if he is traded to one of a handful of teams. He has pretty much admitted in the past that he wants to play for the Cowboys, so perhaps the two sides could make something work.

If you read what Peterson’s agent said recently, you get an idea of where AP’s head is at. Don’t underestimate how much Jerruh wants Peterson on his team.

Last edited by a moderator:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Signing Peterson, imo, would go completely against all that this team has been doing this offseason.
It'd really shock me for so many reasons.....
so I guess that means they'll do it now. :omg:

/jk