Twitter: Archer: Breakdown of Zeke's Contract

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a major win for Jerry and Stephen, for the team and really even for Zeke. This is actually much less then I thought he would get but it's about what I thought he was worth. Now, I don't think that it's impossible that we see another renegotiation at some point either. I mean, this is really a 4 year deal but I could see the team reevaluating if they needed to or wanted to.

If this is the real deal, I'm really happy with this.

I am too. 4 years and $50 million if things don't work out as the Cowboys hope. And 4 option years after that if they do work out, for as long as they do.

And the biggest key to it all?

"$30M of the $50M GTD is base salary - which can void per a suspension."

I'm shocked that the truly guaranteed signing bonus was just $7.5 million.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
So the team can get out in 4 years with a $6.7M cap hit

Not too bad

He will never see the $32M in the last 2 years of the deal less he's still a 1,400 yard a year RB

So, what your saying is don't read much into QuincyCarters post above? He's saying something about taking a 50 million dollar hit or something. I didn't think that sounded right. I understand though, people have to vent over stuff.

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
Not even a little bit.

Yes we gave Zeke a raise his last two years that we already had him under contract for, and then we get to take on $31.5M of CAP hits the two years after that for his extension(highest AAV in the league by a mile) so then we could possibly cut him and still have to eat $6.5M dead cap.

What did the team gain from this? I mean we did extend him two years early and multiple off field issues.

We literally gained nothing. Zeke demolished Jerry in this one.

Zeke pretty much got everything he wanted while being able to have an extra month of vacation.

Virginia-Dave

Reaction score
Doesn't look awful for the Cowboys. I wonder what year they ask him to restructure and push more money down the road?

Dallasfann

Reaction score
We literally gained nothing. Zeke demolished Jerry in this one.

Zeke pretty much got everything he wanted while being able to have an extra month of vacation.

I promise you, Jerry and most people within the organization didn't give 2 ***** that Zeke wasn't here for a month in August. I promise you that. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if this deal has been accepted for weeks now.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
This is true, but do you want to use the tag on Zeke now? I mean, you might need that thing soon. I don't have a problem with Zeke getting paid. I just didn't want to see a crazy deal like the one Todd Gurley got. That was a really bad deal. I really like this deal guys. I just see this as a real team win and remember, we freed up 5.7 mil this year on the Collins restructure deal.

Wait... so you didn't want to see a crazy deal like Gurley's since it was really bad... then we gave an even worse(bigger in every aspect) one to Zeke and you really like it?

That's... well that's I don't even know.

Zordon

Reaction score
Not even a little bit.

Yes we gave Zeke a raise his last two years that we already had him under contract for, and then we get to take on $31.5M of CAP hits the two years after that for his extension(highest AAV in the league by a mile) so then we could possibly cut him and still have to eat $6.5M dead cap.

What did the team gain from this? I mean we did extend him two years early and multiple off field issues.
I mean what did you expect bro? He's the best back in the NFL. #2 at worst. Eventually you're going to have to pay him. That 31.5M cap hit is LESS than what we would have paid if we franchised him.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I think this is a great contract really. Dead cap in four years is minimal if we need to walk away. Even if he's earning those last two years, salary cap will grow with it so those numbers could be middle of the road salaries for RB's that far from now.

You got your money - now go win a championship.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
This is true, but do you want to use the tag on Zeke now? I mean, you might need that thing soon. I don't have a problem with Zeke getting paid. I just didn't want to see a crazy deal like the one Todd Gurley got. That was a really bad deal. I really like this deal guys. I just see this as a real team win and remember, we freed up 5.7 mil this year on the Collins restructure deal.

I just wish the knucklehead insurance was yearly and not 2 years away. We have to hope Zeke goes 2 years without doing something stupid before we can get out of the deal and it not hurt the cap.

I guess they did it that way to just give him a raise on his 2 remaining rookie years and then when the extended years kick in they can get out.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

I don't think it could have been. I think both parties had to wait for a certain date to renegotiate but dI am not certain. However, I doubt this is the deal that Zeke and his agent were holding out for. I can't imagine it was. I feel like this is the deal the team had in mind all along but who really knows? I'm just glad it's done and I'm really glad that it's a good deal for the team.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I mean what did you expect bro? He's the best back in the NFL. #2 at worst. Eventually you're going to have to pay him. That 31.5M cap hit is LESS than what we would have paid if we franchised him.

So the team didn't gain anything is what you're saying?

1. It's debatable if he's even the #2. Most non-cowboys fans would say he isnt.
2. No you don't have to eventually pay him, that's the point.
3. Yay! We saved almost nothing compared to just franchising him twice.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I just wish the knucklehead insurance was yearly and not 2 years away. We have to hope Zeke goes 2 years without doing something stupid before we can get out of the deal and it not hurt the cap.

Gotta take the good with the bad Catch. I'm happy with what we got. Let me have that after all this time.

:laugh:

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
:laugh: you guys got to be trolling.

Right- set a new standard for RBs.

Give the player everything he wanted despite tough talk from the team.

Player got to miss training camp.

Sure sounds like a win for the team?