Twitter: Archer: Breakdown of Zeke's Contract

HungryLion

Reaction score
Have CAP hits of $15M and $16.5M the last two years of deal for a runningback, and THEN take on $6.7M(not minimal) dead CAP to cut him for a runningback to not play for us. And in those last years he will have depreciated even more as a player given all his touches at that point.

Oh boy. Y'all strap in.

He will never play those last two years for the cowboys.

Reaction score
So, what your saying is don't read much into QuincyCarters post above? He's saying something about taking a 50 million dollar hit or something. I didn't think that sounded right. I understand though, people have to vent over stuff.
Just think of it as a 4 year, $50M deal with 4 team options.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Solid deal. Essentially a 4 year deal with club options for the additional years.

The team can cut him when he is 28 years old with relatively little pain. If he is still managing to ball out at that age. The team has essentially one year options for as long as he is productive.

On to New York.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
I'm just glad the drama is over. He got overpaid but it's not so bad that I'm mad. 12.5 per year for 4 years isn't as bad as I was expecting it to be. I'm ready for this board to be talking Cowboy football and not contracts.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Right- set a new standard for RBs.

Give the player everything he wanted despite tough talk from the team.

Player got to miss training camp.

Sure sounds like a win for the team?

Anything that allows for protection against a bonehead move, puts us in the area of 12 to 13 mil on average and we are able to get out of in a period of 4 years, I'm happy with. I think that's a definite win. I don't know that this is everything Zeke wanted but I don't know exactly what he wanted either so I can't say if that's true or not. Missing training camp is not a good thing for anybody and listening to Zeke, I don't think he counts that as a win but who knows?

I'm happy with the deal, whichever way you want to shade victory.

CWR

Reaction score
Well, you had him under contract for 2 years and then 2 franchise tags were possible, so you gave him a contract with still 4 years of team control left because he pouted.

You can say the contract works in Dallas’s favor, but the whims situation being a great win is a stretch.

It is what it is, you pay for studs. It could be worse .We could be lining up with Jordan Howard in the backfield lol.

Guaranteed as an eagles fan you dont want to face Zeke this season. Careful, we will bring out the broom and start sweeping up the trash again.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

So I just did a quick number crunch on what it would have cost to keep him under his current deal (which he was holding out from) and then to franchise tag him for 2021 and 2022. He was set to cost $17 million on the cap for the next two years, and then cost to tag him for two years would have been at a minimum $15 million a year, and likely a lot more by then.

Add that up, and it's at least $48 million, with absolutely no guarantees afterwards. This deal pays virtually the same thing and gives the club four option years after 2022.

So how did they "lose"?

Zordon

Reaction score
So I just did a quick number crunch on what it would have cost to keep him under his current deal (which he was holding out from) and then to franchise tag him for 2021 and 2022. He was set to cost $17 million on the cap for the next two years, and then cost to tag him for two years would have been at a minimum $15 million a year, and likely a lot more by then.

Add that up, and it's at least $48 million, with absolutely no guarantees afterwards. This deal pays virtually the same thing and gives the club four option years after 2022.

So how did they "lose"?
Exactly. I think some fans like any empathy for players. Expect them to just play for pennies and cut bait whenever the team pleases.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Anything that allows for protection against a bonehead move, puts us in the area of 12 to 13 mil on average and we are able to get out of in a period of 4 years, I'm happy with. I think that's a definite win. I don't know that this is everything Zeke wanted but I don't know exactly what he wanted either so I can't say if that's true or not. Missing training camp is not a good thing for anybody and listening to Zeke, I don't think he counts that as a win but who knows?

I'm happy with the deal, whichever way you want to shade victory.
In most successful negotiations neither side gets everything.

DCwarrior

Reaction score
It’s a very good deal for the Boys. Melvin Gordon is wanting 11 mil a year lol.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Wait... so you didn't want to see a crazy deal like Gurley's since it was really bad... then we gave an even worse(bigger in every aspect) one to Zeke and you really like it?

That's... well that's I don't even know.

Lol. It's a walkback like so many have to do now. Before it was like "Zeke has a contract," "Let him sit," "The top 5 offer was fair," "Gurley money was never part of the discussion," " Zeke has no leverage." Now it's like, "Oh, good job Jerry and Stephen. You didn't set the market. Oh, heaven's no." Haha.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Well, you had him under contract for 2 years and then 2 franchise tags were possible, so you gave him a contract with still 4 years of team control left because he pouted.

You can say the contract works in Dallas’s favor, but the whims situation being a great win is a stretch.
Gurley did the same thing and his deal was better. More signing bonus and shorter. Plus the Cowboys have cap room so nothing wrong with getting it done. Two years from now Saquon could reset the market and Zeke would want more.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Lol. It's a walkback like so many have to do now. Before it was like "Zeke has a contract," "Let him sit," "The top 5 offer was fair," "Gurley money was never part of the discussion," " Zeke has no leverage." Now it's like, "Oh, good job Jerry and Stephen. You didn't set the market. Oh, heaven's no." Haha.

LOL......

It's a good deal and I'm happy to have it. I hope he breaks all the records, stays out of trouble and reaches every single bonus trigger.