Archer: How The Cowboys Are Adding Depth, Not Leverage With Andy Dalton

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's definitely not leverage for the Cowboys signing Dalton, because all they would be doing (if leverage was the case) would be disrespecting and pissing off Dak. All that would do is encourage Dak to sit out several games to start the 2020 season and prove to the Cowboys how badly they truly need to sign Dak to what he wants.
You’re missing the meaning of insurance and leverage on the Cowboys behalf which is we have an experienced QB we could potentially win some games with while negotiations are unfolding.

If Dak holds out then our season isn’t necessarily over like it probably would be with Rush. Dalton could provide a few wins to keep us going until Dak returns.

That’s leverage for Dallas not Dak. You’re only thinking on Daks behalf if you think it would fuel him into holding out longer if we had another QB in place.

And why Dallas signed a veteran QB so Dak couldn’t hold them hostage with a better possibility to win without Prescott than with Rush. It’s a greater risk for Dak now if we can win without him.

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You’re missing the meaning of insurance and leverage on the Cowboys behalf which is we have an experienced QB we could potentially win some games with while negotiations are unfolding.

If Dak holds out then our season isn’t necessarily over like it probably would be with Rush. Dalton could provide a few wins to keep us going until Dak returns.

That’s leverage for Dallas not Dak. You’re only thinking on Daks behalf if you think it would fuel him into holding out longer if we had another QB in place.

And why Dallas signed a veteran QB so Dak couldn’t hold them hostage with a better possibility to win without Prescott than with Rush. It’s a greater risk for Dak now if we can win without him.
IF we can win...with Dalton. The same Andy Dalton who got benched for his rookie backup last season after an 0-8 start.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
IF we can win...with Dalton. The same Andy Dalton who got benched for his rookie backup last season after an 0-8 start.
I like our chances of winning with Dalton than Rush.

Interesting you’d use Daltons last season than his body of work with the Bengals which was pretty solid when he was surrounded with some talent.

You’re beginning to sound more like you’re rooting for Dak than the Cowboys?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I like our chances of winning with Dalton than Rush.

Interesting you’d use Daltons last season than his body of work with the Bengals which was pretty solid when he was surrounded with some talent.

You’re beginning to sound more like you’re rooting for Dak than the Cowboys?
Biased much? You're always complaining against Dak and his supporters, Greg. Pot calling the kettle black.

HellCrowe

Reaction score
I do not think a single person under the tag has signed it yet, but they are all going to (I know for sure that 2 others outside of Dak have not but I did not check all of them). There is just no motivation to missing game checks especially when the team cannot give you a new deal during the season anyway.

His deal in the broader negotiations is that he does not need the Cowboys to be the team to offer him the deal; he can get that deal elsewhere if push comes to shove and as long as that is the case then the leverage does not change. That is the Cowboys ultimate problem. If the Cowboys do not offer the cake, icing, chocolate syrup and cherry, another team will with some whipped cream. Now at this point the Cowboys could take the 3rd round comp they get from him leaving (as an aside the main reason he and others do not sign the tag is so that they has veto power over any trades attempted) and draft a QB in the first. I do not like approach because 1st round QBs have a 2/3 chance of being a bust, but something like that is plan B.

Dak will get his money. Signed tag or 2 years down the line. Now, whether or not he is with us long term, the Cowboys have decided to roll out option 2, for now and just in case things take a nose dive regarding contract talks with Dak. The FO has decided to stick to their guns and while I see Dak in a Cowboy uniform, for how long? Not sure.

Blackrain

Reaction score

I got to agree leverage ,depth or what ever . Dalton makes us a stronger team that could still compete in case of an issue with Dak ,whatever it could be . Cooper Rush did not give us that ability

It would have been nice last year to have a back up QB that started 133 games in the NFL and not have to force Dak to play hurt because Rush was such a drop of in talent it gave us no chance in a must win game

Daks my favorite player on the team but in all honesty he would struggle doing the drill Dalton is working on with his sons

In an emergency Dalton could make use of all the weapons Oline and the attention given to Zeke . We could win games with him he brings a different but useable skill set we did not have with Rush

Last edited: