Archer: How The Cowboys Are Adding Depth, Not Leverage With Andy Dalton

HellCrowe

Reaction score
I mean I am pretty sure, if the goal is money, then it does not change the equation for him. If his goal is to maximize his income, then he knows he can get it with or without Dallas. If Dallas drafts a QB next year, then they get to play the QB roulette wheel where they know there is a 2/3 chance of failure, but if you win you get a cheap contract for 4 years (they changed how the 5th year option works in the CBA starting I think in 3 years so its not really the discount it was).

You are stating that Dak has all the leverage. First post saying, Dak can leave after two years and Dallas won’t have a QB. I give you an alternate reality to your alternate reality and you then reply to my post with this? Lol Need I say more? Your stance is as clear as day. Dak or death.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
Because Dalton is a solid, NFL QB who has won in this league. I doubt that Dak would hold out but Dallas could conceivably win games withDalton as their starting QB.
Solid? Eh, he's ok. Won what exactly? First round playoff exits? We've already had that recently. This signing doesn't say anything about Dak. It gives us a decent viable backup which we've had before, just not recently. It's a one-year deal. It's insurance. Dak misses a game or two and the team can still have a chance. He's made 85M and had interest from the Patriots but chose to come home for a year. He's here to be a backup QB and there are those who are attempting to make it more than it is.

HellCrowe

Reaction score
Solid? Eh, he's ok. Won what exactly? First round playoff exits? We've already had that recently. This signing doesn't say anything about Dak. It gives us a decent viable backup which we've had before, just not recently. It's a one-year deal. It's insurance. Dak misses a game or two and the team can still have a chance. He's made 85M and had interest from the Patriots but chose to come home for a year. He's here to be a backup QB and there are those who are attempting to make it more than it is.

I’m sure the reality as it stands right now is Andy Dalton is your starting QB. Dak needs to sign somewhere down the line for this to be true. We’ve been waiting. Still waiting.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score

giphy.gif

Adreme

Reaction score
You are stating that Dak has all the leverage. First post saying, Dak can leave after two years and Dallas won’t have a QB. I give you an alternate reality to your alternate reality and you then reply to my post with this? Lol Need I say more? Your stance is as clear as day. Dak or death.

No my premise that even if they draft a 1st round QB next year, it does not change the equation of 2 years franchise tag then leave as Dak's worst case. From his perspective, the way to maximize earnings has not changed. Therefore the leverage over him has not changed. If they move on from him next year, or the year after, he can go sign a mega deal elsewhere. As long as there remain alternative suitors who would pay Dak the number he wants, the leverage has not shifted. Dallas now has an alternative if they want to play QB roulette, but that does not change the formula for Dak.

Maybe the leverage would have shifted if they used the non exclusive tag because then you could make a mathematical argument for getting him to take a couple million less.

HellCrowe

Reaction score
No my premise that even if they draft a 1st round QB next year, it does not change the equation of 2 years franchise tag then leave as Dak's worst case. From his perspective, the way to maximize earnings has not changed. Therefore the leverage over him has not changed. If they move on from him next year, or the year after, he can go sign a mega deal elsewhere. As long as there remain alternative suitors who would pay Dak the number he wants, the leverage has not shifted. Dallas now has an alternative if they want to play QB roulette, but that does not change the formula for Dak.

Maybe the leverage would have shifted if they used the non exclusive tag because then you could make a mathematical argument for getting him to take a couple million less.

Dak if he’s here great! If not we did something about it so we are not running around with our heads chopped off. Dak is the best option for us to get to the Super Bowl right now. Even with the signing of Dalton he may still be the better option. However, this, “best option to win the Super Bowl” can be said for every team with a clear QB1. It’s not like you can get another starting option on the market right? Well we did and that gets to my point.

We don’t go into the season handcuffed on “Daks terms” (which obviously is the terms you want). We can play hardball as much as Dak wants and maybe he signs or he waits and wishes that Dalton stinks it up. We’ll see where that plays out but at least, we did something about it. I’m not for the Dak or Death to the Cowboys mentality. He’ll get his money but I root for the Cowboys and not just one player.

Adreme

Reaction score
Dak if he’s here great! If not we did something about it so we are not running around with our heads chopped off. Dak is the best option for us to get to the Super Bowl right now. Even with the signing of Dalton he may still be the better option. However, this, “best option to win the Super Bowl” can be said for every team with a clear QB1. It’s not like you can get another starting option on the market right? Well we did and that gets to my point.

We don’t go into the season handcuffed on “Daks terms” (which obviously is the terms you want). We can play hardball as much as Dak wants and maybe he signs or he waits and wishes that Dalton stinks it up. We’ll see where that plays out but at least, we did something about it. I’m not for the Dak or Death to the Cowboys mentality. He’ll get his money but I root for the Cowboys and not just one player.

He does not have to hope Dalton stinks it up which is the point. He is going to sign the tag this year and play and if needed next year then walk and shatter the market. Dalton does not change that formula. He was always going to sign the tag. The premise of the thread was if the Dalton signing changed the leverage Dak had and it does not because nothing changed from the PoV of Dak. He still has the same leverage to get the same money because the same plan for him will still work to get him the same amount of money. His leverage goes down if there are no teams that feel that they are one QB away. Unfortunately for the Cowboys, that has not been the case for the past 10 years so its unlikely his leverage changes.

This WOULD lessen the leverage if not signing the tag and not playing regular season games was seriously in doubt which I cannot imagine it ever truly was.

HellCrowe

Reaction score
He does not have to hope Dalton stinks it up which is the point. He is going to sign the tag this year and play and if needed next year then walk and shatter the market. Dalton does not change that formula. He was always going to sign the tag. The premise of the thread was if the Dalton signing changed the leverage Dak had and it does not because nothing changed from the PoV of Dak. He still has the same leverage to get the same money because the same plan for him will still work to get him the same amount of money. His leverage goes down if there are no teams that feel that they are one QB away. Unfortunately for the Cowboys, that has not been the case for the past 10 years so its unlikely his leverage changes.

This WOULD lessen the leverage if not signing the tag and not playing regular season games was seriously in doubt which I cannot imagine it ever truly was.

Still waiting on that signing. Tell me when it happens.

Dallas is then left with effectively no starter at QB unless Dalton sticks around and even then your starter is not that good.

If Dallas drafts a QB next year, then they get to play the QB roulette wheel where they know there is a 2/3 chance of failure, but if you win you get a cheap contract for 4 years.

We only win if we have leverage.

Last I checked Dak wants to have the cake, icing, chocolate syrup, and the cherry on top. If we win this contract war, it’s great for our team because we have a QB1 for 4-5 years. If not, from the Cowboys perspective, we created leverage just in case we play the waiting game. That depends if Dak wants to play for Cowboys after all is said and done. By then, the Cowboys have already made adjustments and will keep making them, with or without Dak.

Adreme

Reaction score
Still waiting on that signing. Tell me when it happens.

We only win if we have leverage.

Last I checked Dak wants to have the cake, icing, chocolate syrup, and the cherry on top. If we win this contract war, it’s great for our team because we have a QB1 for 4-5 years. If not, from the Cowboys perspective, we created leverage just in case we play the waiting game. That depends if Dak wants to play for Cowboys after all is said and done. By then, the Cowboys have already made adjustments and will keep making them, with or without Dak.

I do not think a single person under the tag has signed it yet, but they are all going to (I know for sure that 2 others outside of Dak have not but I did not check all of them). There is just no motivation to missing game checks especially when the team cannot give you a new deal during the season anyway.

His deal in the broader negotiations is that he does not need the Cowboys to be the team to offer him the deal; he can get that deal elsewhere if push comes to shove and as long as that is the case then the leverage does not change. That is the Cowboys ultimate problem. If the Cowboys do not offer the cake, icing, chocolate syrup and cherry, another team will with some whipped cream. Now at this point the Cowboys could take the 3rd round comp they get from him leaving (as an aside the main reason he and others do not sign the tag is so that they has veto power over any trades attempted) and draft a QB in the first. I do not like approach because 1st round QBs have a 2/3 chance of being a bust, but something like that is plan B.

Verdict

Reaction score
Daltons contract is pretty cheap for a backup. My guess is they didnt want to spend market value on a back up QB. Dalton being willing to take 3M probably changed their minds

Dalton sees an opportunity here. He sees a stacked team, a good QB coach and that Dak may be overplaying his hand. If Dak holds out, Dalton may think he can get his foot in the door with the Cowboys and he can “show something”. He might be right.