Archer: Insiders not high on Cowboys' work so far

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
What we have done so far may make us a better team in the future but there is no doubt we are worse off for 2014.

I feel a little guilty belly laughing about our cap issues now.

We have $7m in cap space with a further $5m coming in June. We are keeping Durant on the roster at $2m because we want to. We signed Melton to a very good deal but nothing is preventing us from doing more.

We could have offered Jared Allen more money than what he got.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/jared-allen/

He only has a $3m cap hit. We could have beat that. We chose to not pay for age. We chose not give Jarius Byrd and his $3m cap hit $26m guaranteed.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/linval-joseph/

Not beating the above contract is the only disappointing thing that I see.

What moves should they have made that they failed to?

Now the franchise tags for OT and WR are $10m and $12m respectively. For cap purposes, I figure it will take ~$25m in cap allotment to account for them. They are at about $19m for 2015 which is including $9m for Melton for that year so those deals would not need to be heavily frontloaded. We could account for all of it if we were to push the current cap space forward.

Your belly laugh is self deluded.

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
Want a good grade? Spend a lot. You see it every year. The Eagles were a dream team. The Commanders win the off season Championship almost every year.

Save cap room and not sign big contracts? No soup for you.

The funny thing is, a lot of posters here applauded not paying the prices for Peppers and Allen, or for Ware. They laughed and said the Commanders paid too much for Hatcher. The exact same posters will be in this thread saying we goofed and this article is a foundation.

Everything we do is wrong. Every single time.

You achieved 50% of the total likes I have as a poster in this one post. Teach me

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
And, conversely, it's a win-win situation with others as well.

Whatever the Cowboys do is great, whatever they don't do is also great.

If they had signed Jared Allen, awesome! If they didn't, he's an old, declining player and the Bears overpaid.

Two sides to that coin.

But that kind of stance sounds more like a Cowboys' fan, right? Just something natural about cheering on your team, no matter what. Call me old-fashioned.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, "bad at their jobs" are the Cowboys front office and coaching staff.

Goofballs in this thread can claim bias and all that other nonsense, but almost 20 years of failure speaks volumes. Homers can try to rationalize this issue and that problem and their bias all you want. You can't reason away the final standings year after year and one playoff win since 1996.

Anyone who hasn't been negative of Dallas since the mid-90s has been wrong. Stupidly wrong. Whether they work for ESPN, DMN, or are just a random internet message board poster.

This man speaks the truth.

I'm not looking for writers who are equal parts positive and negative. I'm looking for the truth and the truth is any competent writer covering this team should have been far more negative than positive the last 20 years.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But that kind of stance sounds more like a Cowboys' fan, right? Just something natural about cheering on your team, no matter what. Call me old-fashioned.

So in order to be a fan of a team you have to check your brain at the door?

I hate Brandon Carr's existence on this roster. Morris Claiborne too. They are impact-less wastes of space who cost this team serious resources that would have gone a long way toward improving this roster into a real contender.

But I root for them in games. Because I'm a fan.

I just don't convince myself they were the right moves. Because I'm an educated fan.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And, conversely, it's a win-win situation with others as well.

Whatever the Cowboys do is great, whatever they don't do is also great.

If they had signed Jared Allen, awesome! If they didn't, he's an old, declining player and the Bears overpaid.

Two sides to that coin.

You can just say Michael Winicki's name. He's got thick skin.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Wow, so the Cowboys don't give ESPN what it wants, frivolous spending on guys other team's generally have little use for anymore and they aren't happy???? Color me surprised.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Relax guys we "half" eleven draft picks ..... hyper bowl's soon to follow.

"place likes below and to the right.."

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Are you being sarcastic because having draft picks is always a good thing?

2l8j6ys.jpg

manster4ever

Reaction score
I don't care about their grade. Just saying the way to get a good grade is to spend a lot. Everyone oohs and goshes until the games get played.

agree....big time. Snyder still hasn't learned. To sign Hatcher for the deal they did is laughable. Meh, we will suck the next two seasons IMO, but it HAS to be done. 4-6 wins this season, 5-7 next season and in '16 I'm hoping we can be a LEGIT young playoff team with 8-10 wins. Works for me. At least there appears to be a plan going forward. Whether or not they can pull it off with this staff is another question altogether.