Archer: Mincey 2015 contract redone

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Zero leverage, contract with Cowboys and nobody else for 2015, could not sign elsewhere. Losing 30K everyday not here. Wasnt going to get paid by any other NFL team this year. Wasnt going to make NFL money in private industry. ZERO LEVERAGE.

It isn't even about leverage. That is why he reported.

It is just business. His holdout got noticed and he got a little more money because he has earned it.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Zero leverage, contract with Cowboys and nobody else for 2015, could not sign elsewhere. Losing 30K everyday not here. Wasnt going to get paid by any other NFL team this year. Wasnt going to make NFL money in private industry. ZERO LEVERAGE.

They just gave him a little more this year and got him for cheaper than they would have next year. Like I said, I think the team wanted to do that.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
That's just the reality of signing a free agent who out plays his contract

That's the reality of having to sign a contract like that when you get cut from your previous team for under performing, showing up late to practice.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he got $500k bump in pay did he still have to pay the $30k in fines a day so his actual pay increase is $380k? </sarcasm>

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
Jay Ratliff (Your name is 'Jay' to me, not Jeremiah, you Jabrone)

Lol, it always felt to me like he was trying to assume a new identity after ripping this team off, hoping to avoid any repercussions. I can just picture the ridiculous thick black-rimmed glasses/big nose/black mustache mask on him during his initial Bears workout. "Yeah, this is Ja--Jeremiah Ratliff, I'm here to for my workout"

conner01

Reaction score
That's the reality of having to sign a contract like that when you get cut from your previous team for under performing, showing up late to practice.

He created the situation, but here he played hard and played well
That's what they are judging him on
I have no problem throwing him a bone
I would not give him more years if it wasn't a contract you can walk away from after this year

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He created the situation, but here he played hard and played well
That's what they are judging him on
I have no problem throwing him a bone
I would not give him more years if it wasn't a contract you can walk away from after this year

Exactly.

He was the 16th ranked 4-3 DE per PFF last season, which certainly jives with what many have posted about what they saw from him last season... The guy was a decent player.

16th out of 59 players ranked isn't average.

Bluefin

Reaction score
Exactly.

He was the 16th ranked 4-3 DE per PFF last season, which certainly jives with what many have posted about what they saw from him last season... The guy was a decent player.

16th out of 59 players ranked isn't average.

And Jeremy Mincey missed a $500K bonus last season for playing in 70% of the defense snaps by less than 1%.

He earned that money last year.

It remains to be seen if the renegotiation includes anything beyond that amount, but it's unlikely to be much, if any.

The two sides have been talking since February about the contract and the team didn't budge. Mincey likely felt it was necessary to hold out at the start of training camp to prove his point.

It's over now.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fines were waived.

I knew the fines would be waived. What's the point of saying he was going to be fined $30k every day he wasn't at training camp because no one really believed that would happen.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Yes. One that by the end of the year, if things go to plan, is not a starter.

Expensive insurance if you ask me.

So be it if he's expensive insurance. He's a high effort quality rotation rushmen. You can't have enough of those, and you don't quibble over 500k-1mil when you have the needed cap space.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
No, it isnt. Opens the flood gates.

So you think we are going to all of a sudden see all of our marginal players demand more money?

We had more enough than cap room this year, teams with depth in the front 4 win championships. Injuries happen folks. He is a quality rotation guy and avoids us from having to play Gregory more than he's ready for out of the gate.

KingLerxst

Reaction score
Looks like he just got the 500k added with no extension. According to Eatman.

Mincey and the Cowboys came together Sunday morning to end the veteran’s contract holdout. Although Mincey didn’t get more years added to the end of his two-year deal that expires after the season, he did get an additional $500,000 added, pushing his base salary to $2 million. Last year, Mincey came up short on an extra $500,000 in a playing-time bonus that he missed by 11 snaps.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...added-salary-increase-still-hopeful-extension

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
But also tells Cowboy players and other FAs around the league that the Cowboys reward their players!

Has that been in doubt up until this point?

What this really shows is you can be average to decent and demand money.

And get it.

I am sure that makes Jerry and Stephen the belles of the free agent ball.

CCBoy

Reaction score
(coughing and chuckling to self) No, this is NOT the long anticipated documentation of the sky is falling.

• chickenlittle-e1322754718668.jpg
This fan won't begrudge Marinelli taking a two or even three year rental on a great rotational player for the defensive line. I like what Mincer adds to the defense.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Agreed... not to mention, I have no idea how we're going to afford to resign Greg Hardy if he has a productive season. We will have no cap space to do anything with him.

News Flash: Hardy is a mercenary that we were not going to give a long term deal to anyway. The only way Hardy stays is if he falls in love with being a Cowboy and decides to play for less money than he could get elsewhere. He will be in great demand next year and thus should get a high $$$ deal.

Hardy's purpose this year aside from the obvious is to be a good example to the young DLaw and Gregory on how the DE position is done properly in the NFL. Stephen Jones is hoping Hardy's work ethic rubs off on the young ones. His one year of tutelage is on the cheap at about $1M per game.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
Looks like he just got the 500k added with no extension. According to Eatman.

Mincey and the Cowboys came together Sunday morning to end the veteran’s contract holdout. Although Mincey didn’t get more years added to the end of his two-year deal that expires after the season, he did get an additional $500,000 added, pushing his base salary to $2 million. Last year, Mincey came up short on an extra $500,000 in a playing-time bonus that he missed by 11 snaps.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...added-salary-increase-still-hopeful-extension

Interesting. Honestly I was kinda liking the idea of adding another year to his current contract as well. Even if as a "backup", with the amount of rotation that goes on with the DL, he'd still see plenty of snaps.

CCBoy

Reaction score
News Flash: Hardy is a mercenary that we were not going to give a long term deal to anyway. The only way Hardy stays is if he falls in love with being a Cowboy and decides to play for less money than he could get elsewhere. He will be in great demand next year and thus should get a high $$$ deal.

Hardy's purpose this year aside from the obvious is to be a good example to the young DLaw and Gregory on how the DE position is done properly in the NFL. Stephen Jones is hoping Hardy's work ethic rubs off on the young ones. His one year of tutelage is on the cheap at about $1M per game.

Oh, sky is falling verse II...proven by a preppie's stance of emotional attachment to movie star, 'Clarence the Lion.'

If someone leaves with the fire starter in naked and afraid, ooops....