Twitter: Archer: Parsons top rated defensive player on board

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Either explanation doesn’t put Jerry in the best light.

Frankly I think they are spinning this. They are peeved the two CBs went and now they have to PR the heck out of the Parsons pick.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

aria

Reaction score
You honestly haven’t been paying attention.

Micah Parsons has been talked about as a possible draft pick since before the season even ended. He has always been talked about as one of the best defenders in the draft and not a single reputable scout or draft profiler had Parsons listed as being a mid round pick.

go back into the draft zone and back to threads from months and months ago even when the season was still happening.
I’m talking about the past month, show me how many threads there are of Parsons compared to Pitts, Horn or Surtain. It’s not even close, especially considering how many people are flaunting that he’s the best player on defense.

I just quickly scanned just the draft zone and I counted ~3 Parsons thread and over 10 Horn/Surtain threads. I’m quite sure if I go to the Fan zone it will be even more disproportionate, especially if I count Pitts.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I’m talking about the past month, show me how many threads there are of Parsons compared to Pitts, Horn or Surtain. It’s not even close, especially considering how many people are flaunting that he’s the best player on defense.

I just quickly scanned just the draft zone and I counted ~3 Parsons thread and over 10 Horn/Surtain threads. I’m quite sure if I go to the Fan zone it will be even more disproportionate, especially if I count Pitts.

Because more fans wanted Surtain or Horn and some people
Had some dumb hope that pitts would get anywhere close to 10 which was always a pipe dream.

But make no mistake. Parsons has been talked about as a possible pick for months and months and months.

some of the cowboys media members on the website podcasts and the draft show even talked about possibly them taking Parsons.

it’s really not some shocker that he was the pick once the cornerbacks were taken.

aria

Reaction score
Because more fans wanted Surtain or Horn and some people
Had some dumb hope that pitts would get anywhere close to 10 which was always a pipe dream.

But make no mistake. Parsons has been talked about as a possible pick for months and months and months.

some of the cowboys media members on the website podcasts and the draft show even talked about possibly them taking Parsons.

it’s really not some shocker that he was the pick once the cornerbacks were taken.
Yeah, that’s what I was getting at. He was talked about but he didn’t have near the hype Surtain and Horn did but now once we picked him he’s suddenly the best defensive player, the best guy not named Pitts we could have got, we’re so good at drafting, etc. I’m just saying where were all these people in the past month? His name was whispered compared to the others.

I honestly wasn’t surprised at all, not that I was a huge fan though either.

jrumann59

Reaction score
If/When Farley is healthy , he's easily the best defensive player in this draft class....................
I dont see the FO taking two players in the first 2 rounds that opted-out. I culd be wrong but banking on two premium picks to knock the rust off and transition to the NFL game would be a fools errand.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Yeah, that’s what I was getting at. He was talked about but he didn’t have near the hype Surtain and Horn did but now once we picked him he’s suddenly the best defensive player, the best guy not named Pitts we could have got, we’re so good at drafting, etc. I’m just saying where were all these people in the past month? His name was whispered compared to the others.

I honestly wasn’t surprised at all, not that I was a huge fan though either.

I mean I hear ya.

I am biased because I have wanted Parsons above all else. But I actually didn’t think it would happen. But that’s because I expected one of the corners to be there at 10. And I would have been fine with Surtain or Horn at 10 if they were available.

to me, as a PSU alum. This is a pleasant surprise.

Now that being said. Any player, any player can bust. So it really all depends how well he does going forward. Like with all draft picks.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Is he saying when they picked or overall ahead of 2 cb’s?

Maybe, I do think Horn or Surtain would be the pick. However, the Cowboys don't necessarily follow their draft board in all circumstances. For example they may have rated Parsons higher, but felt there was better LB depth in the upcoming rounds than CB so leaned toward CB.

Or it could have all been a smokescreen to get Parsons all along, lol. Regardless they picked a high ceiling player that fills a need this season and future seasons while also acquiring another pick. Win win here

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
Jerry trying his best to convince Parsons that she was the one he really wanted to take home from the bar despite all the other chicks he'd talked to before the bar closed.

aria

Reaction score
I mean I hear ya.

I am biased because I have wanted Parsons above all else. But I actually didn’t think it would happen. But that’s because I expected one of the corners to be there at 10. And I would have been fine with Surtain or Horn at 10 if they were available.

to me, as a PSU alum. This is a pleasant surprise.

Now that being said. Any player, any player can bust. So it really all depends how well he does going forward. Like with all draft picks.
For sure, as I said, I wasn’t surprised we took him but I figured we would have had to pass over one of the two CB’s who I preferred but I didn’t think they would both be gone.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I'm excited about this Parsons playing for the Cowboys. He is exactly what we need. A runstopper with speed. Put him in the middle and let him make plays. Oh did I also mention his from Penn St.? Don't they turn out great linebackers in the pro level?

I hate that Dallas can't stop the run for so many years. Now their finally addressing that issue no one should complain about this pick.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Either explanation doesn’t put Jerry in the best light.

Frankly I think they are spinning this. They are peeved the two CBs went and now they have to PR the heck out of the Parsons pick.

Jerry's explanation is plausable.

Ourlads had:

Surtain rated at 9.64
Horn rated at 9.48
Parsons rated at 9.61
Paye rated at 9.45
Barmore rated at 9.43
Ojulari rated at 9.55

Certainly possible the Cowboys had Parsons rated a wee bit higher than Surtain.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm excited about this Parsons playing for the Cowboys. He is exactly what we need. A runstopper with speed. Put him in the middle and let him make plays. Oh did I also mention his from Penn St.? Don't they turn out great linebackers in the pro level?

I hate that Dallas can't stop the run for so many years. Now their finally addressing that issue no one should complain about this pick.

Agreed.

They were equally inept stopping the pass or run last season so just about any highly rated player on defense would have been the right pick.

HungryLion

Reaction score
For sure, as I said, I wasn’t surprised we took him but I figured we would have had to pass over one of the two CB’s who I preferred but I didn’t think they would both be gone.

I was shocked both DB’s were gone man. I thought for sure at least 1 would make it to us.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Jerry's explanation is plausable.

Ourlads had:

Surtain rated at 9.64
Horn rated at 9.48
Parsons rated at 9.61
Paye rated at 9.45
Barmore rated at 9.43
Ojulari rated at 9.55

Certainly possible the Cowboys had Parsons rated a wee bit higher than Surtain.

Yep. Totally possible. And possible that Parsons was a tad higher BUT only a small bit and then the cowboys planned to take the corner over Parsons given the need a position value.

The entire best player available thing really depends on how much better the player is.

Is the gap large or small?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep. Totally possible. And possible that Parsons was a tad higher BUT only a small bit and then the cowboys planned to take the corner over Parsons given the need a position value.

The entire best player available thing really depends on how much better the player is.

Is the gap large or small?

Yeah, I wouldn't have been surprised at taking the corner.

I mean stopping the pass or stopping the run, they were lousy at both, so when you can get the top-rated defensive guy for any defensive spot that's a win in my book.

stiletto

Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't have been surprised at taking the corner.

I mean stopping the pass or stopping the run, they were lousy at both, so when you can get the top-rated defensive guy for any defensive spot that's a win in my book.

The Broncos passed on a possible Franchise QB because they liked a CB better. They might pay for that. Dallas was in a good position and dropping down, getting an extra pick and still getting one of the top D players in the draft was good. I have no issues with how it shook out, not sure why anyone else would either.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Broncos passed on a possible Franchise QB because they liked a CB better. They might pay for that. Dallas was in a good position and dropping down, getting an extra pick and still getting one of the top D players in the draft was good. I have no issues with how it shook out, not sure why anyone else would either.

I see things your way.

No idea why anyone would gripe over what transpired last night.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I thought either Parsons or Paye were the best defenders available.
umm no albeit debatable most are saying hes possibly the best defensive player in the draft..not even close to Paye..sorry not our board, THE NFL Board

Even SAS said it s very good pick and he was impressed..seriously SAS