Twitter: Archer: Parsons top rated defensive player on board

Jumbo075

Reaction score
What I heard them say (in my words) is that they would have loved to pick a CB if one of the two guys fell to #10, but the reason they didn't feel the need to try to move up to get one of them is Micah Parsons was a player they also really, really liked a lot. So if the Carolina or Denver would have taken Parsons ahead of them, they would have taken a corner, but if he fell to them and the corners were gone, they would be just as happy.

One thing Jerry did say was that they had a lot of discussions about the likelihood the corners would go #8 & #9, and even may have thought it was likely to happen. But they never considered trying to move up to get one of the corners - because Parsons was there if the corners were gone.

It may be interesting to know if both a corner and Parson was there at #10, who would they have chosen. I don't think they revealed that in the press conference. But Jerry did allude to Parsons being rated higher than both corners when he offered to take one of the reporters down the hall to look at the draft board in person when he questioned Jerry.

kumizi

Reaction score
I'm fine with taking Parsons and the trade down.

Still bummed that Horn and Surtain went right before we picked. Everyone in the NFL knew we wanted one of those two. Glaring hole at CB right now,

jdnoyes

Reaction score
He very well may have had the top scout grade on their board but I firmly believe based on need and fit the overall board said Horn, Surtain, Parsons, and Slater in that order. So Jerry didn’t exactly lie but he didn’t exactly tell the truth, he took the highest rated defensive prospect but not necessarily the top defensive prospect on their board.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Not hard to believe......Jerry said earlier this week at 10 they should a chance at one of the draft top defensive players. Just me, but I thought he implying Horn, Surtain or Parson but then again, everyone was saying the same thing.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
What I heard them say (in my words) is that they would have loved to pick a CB if one of the two guys fell to #10, but the reason they didn't feel the need to try to move up to get one of them is Micah Parsons was a player they also really, really liked a lot. So if the Carolina or Denver would have taken Parsons ahead of them, they would have taken a corner, but if he fell to them and the corners were gone, they would be just as happy.

One thing Jerry did say was that they had a lot of discussions about the likelihood the corners would go #8 & #9, and even may have thought it was likely to happen. But they never considered trying to move up to get one of the corners - because Parsons was there if the corners were gone.

It may be interesting to know if both a corner and Parson was there at #10, who would they have chosen. I don't think they revealed that in the press conference. But Jerry did allude to Parsons being rated higher than both corners when he offered to take one of the reporters down the hall to look at the draft board in person when he questioned Jerry.
Fish claims they inquired to move up to #6 with Miami to get a cb but Stephen thought the cost was too rich.

Said Persons was their top rated defensive player but apparently were going with need if trying to move up for the corner.

plymkr

Reaction score
The pick itself is an A.

Letting the Eagles get DeVonta Smith stings but he was going to the Giants if we didn't so really whats the difference.

The real debate is whether we should we have made the Bears trade. Parsons and a 3 or pick 20, a 5th this year and a 1st and 4th next year.
Were we offered that trade? Is that a fact? Confirmed?

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I’ll scoff.

So either he’s lying about where he was rated on their board or they were prepared to take one of the CBs, who Jerry admitted wouldn’t have been the top D player on their board.
You don't think they led the media to believe CB a little too much too long?
I think Jerry wanted Micah all along but was afraid he was gonna be gone, so get a few teams hyped up enough to use picks on the two CBs moving Micah down.
My son was saying that Ian Rappaport (?) Said he talked to Micah the night before with Micah believing he was gonna be a Dallas Cowboy.

Hardline

Reaction score
That press conference was damage control.
Just the fact they was having a press conference while the first round was still in progress shows incompetence. They still should've been working the phones on trade deals.

stinkface

Reaction score
team sure loses a lot for a front office that tells the fans every year the guy they just took was the top player on their board when they picked.

something is off here. I wonder what it could be?
He was the top player on the board when they picked because the earlier top players on their board had already been picked. Accordingly Jerry was very precise in his wording. Like saying you got the prettiest girl at the bar, but that was only after all the prettier girls had left the bar with other guys.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Either explanation doesn’t put Jerry in the best light.

Frankly I think they are spinning this. They are peeved the two CBs went and now they have to PR the heck out of the Parsons pick.

I am not a big fan of Jerry the GM but why is it when there is consensus in here about a great pick it is the team vice-president, head coach, coordinator and scouting director that collectively get credit as it is selection/acquisition by committee. When the pick is questionable in any shape or form it all is Jerry's doing. Jerry is the team spokesman, tie breaker and not the sole selector of players.

Parsons is a great pick and we also have gained a third round pick in the top 100 overall.

Last edited:

phildadon86

Reaction score
I’ll scoff.

Glad we got our sideline to sideline and downhill linebacker.
Wah wah. I’m going to cry because we didn’t draft a guy who’s had 3 concussions and I think I am always right. Wah.

parsons was the highest rated run defender in college in 2019. I guess fixing our run defense doesn’t matter to you though.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Horn is whom I wanted. Just not sold on Surtain being an better than Diggs.
However, this draft is very deep in corners, so we may get a guy even more successful in a couple years, certainly not a huge drop off.

I don’t care if Parsons can cover or not. He is elite sideline to sideline vs the run, and he’s an excellent pass rusher. In his pro bowl year, LVE was excellent in pass coverage, but he wasn’t as involved at MLB. I love this pick as it gives us a true MLB and allows LVE to play to his strengths.

There are plenty of CBs, safeties, and DTs left, but I would love Carlos Basham in round 2.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Wah wah. I’m going to cry because we didn’t draft a guy who’s had 3 concussions and I think I am always right. Wah.

parsons was the highest rated run defender in college in 2019. I guess fixing our run defense doesn’t matter to you though.
Imagine being the leading tackler at Penn State as a freshman and again as a sophomore. That tells me enough.

Scotman

Reaction score
I wanted Horn, Surtain or Sewell. No particular order. Parsons was a close 4th, but not because of his play.

I am admittedly worried about the off the field stuff. I hate red flags like that. On the flip side, our defense suffers from lack of a killer instinct. No "dog in them," as they say. Parsons may bring a bit of fight back to that side of the ball.

I'm ok with the pick. Not overly excited. I hope we didn't pick up guy with a million dollar body and a ten cent head.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Surtain and Horn will probably not be worth their draft pedigree. To me, you want anyone drafted in the top 10 to be a franchise cornerstone for the next decade and I don't see that in either of those guys.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Imagine being the leading tackler at Penn State as a freshman and again as a sophomore. That tells me enough.
I am amazed that people are actually upset having watched this team defend the run the last 2 years are mad at picking the number 1 rated run defender in the draft lol.

Trajan

Reaction score
I'm one of the biggest critics of Jerry out there, but can't ding him for this pick.

In case people were not tracking, our defense was atrocious last year. Furthermore, our run defense was pathetic. I would rather we take a LB then a CB to help improve the defense and also the running D.

Many sites had Parsons as the best defensive player in the draft. Our LB's sucked last year. This doesn't seem like a big debate to me.

One caveat, I am concerned with the off the field baggage, hate to get players with a cloud over them.....