Twitter: Archer: Rico running with the ones

JustChip

Reaction score
Just in... Manute Bol's first picture in a Cowboy's uniform...

Football%252520Teen%252520Boy%252520171__88883.1408552422.1280.1280.gif

Yes, he is wearing pads. :p

:lmao2:

I went to a Mavs game way back when Manute was with the Bullets. Basically, Washington only played 4 on offense, Manute stayed just about the whole game parked on the defensive end within 4 feet of the basket to purely be a shot blocker.

Last edited:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Exactly. I don't see him being a 'great' TE, yet. I see him as a monster mismatch that Dak needs. He has such a huge catch radius that it would be damned near impossible to overthrow him. F blocking. Putting him in the slot will force teams to take men out of the box which is effectively blocking.

He goes up over 1 starting NFL safety through the teeth of the defense and everything changes with the space he provides for everyone.

Beaker42

Reaction score

So, he was 4th string, then 3rd, now he's getting first team reps. Dude's got no shot.

Hope he starts next PS game and he wows. Don’t want a JAG at TE. We need playmakers and they saw that rip away from the DB. Not sure Witten makes that play the last couple seasons.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hope he starts next PS game and he wows. Don’t want a JAG at TE. We need playmakers and they saw that rip away from the DB. Not sure Witten makes that play the last couple seasons.

Witten would probably never have made that play, even at his peak. That play is a nice bonus, but the ability to make it is the gravy, not the meat. Consistency and dependability are much more important than the occasional highlight. Now, if Rico can get the consistency and dependability part down to go with the ability to make that kind of play - that would be special. Unfortunately I can't say that is the given that some believe it to be. Rico still has a lot to learn.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
They IRed him so technically he cannot do any football related activities like practice route running or blocking during the season, hence why it was stupid to have him on the 53 man last year. His lost time is more detrimental than for other players.

His lost time was detrimental *to him*, but not to the team. He didn't get an accrued season, so we didn't lose a year of rights. If anything, we got an extra year of development, if an incomplete one.

Rico could have done all the football things he wanted, just not with the team. But I can see him being a little surly and disinclined to do so to benefit a team that stashed him on IR for their benefit, and his detriment.

Was there even a story to that effect? That Rico made some noises in the offseason about wanting to be with a team that would put him on the field, instead of stash him away on IR?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Also, it's not like Rico is a 29 year old player. He can still learn things. Sitting him out all last season was stupid but we had to have our Swaim out there.

It was good for the team, and bad for Rico.

It kept Rico from getting an accrued season. We got some learning in Rico, but didn't lose a year of rights.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This I believe.
Remember how Parcells wouldn't call TO by his name and just called him "The Player" when the media asked about him?

That was all about limiting TO's feelings of self-importance.

Parcells did the same with 1st round picks by having them be his water boy during practices.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Ahem...Who's called him "great"? You guys invent your own fantasies. So far, anyone that supports keeping Rico sees alot of potential for him to develop and the intangibles of being a playmaker.

If enough people say that others have said "Rico is great"...It must be true. :rolleyes:
see the post I responded to and then you will get it.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Ahem...Who's called him "great"? You guys invent your own fantasies. So far, anyone that supports keeping Rico sees alot of potential for him to develop and the intangibles of being a playmaker.

If enough people say that others have said "Rico is great"...It must be true. :rolleyes:
there are plenty who think he is already great, but being held back and put him on par with other great TEs....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Used correctly as a red zone target, there shouldn't be anyone in the league who should be able to catch a ball at a higher point than Rico. Just throw the ball up and he should come down with it.

It's up to Rico to be able to be more than that and I hope he does.
this is quite simple minded. if this was the case then wouldn't every NFL team just get a tall basketball player, bunch of forwards, train them to do this one thing only, a 6'10 forward, with rebounding abilities, line them up in the redzone, throw the ball up and let them go get it....so all these other coaches in history of NFL must have been so stupid for not having figured this out!!!!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I do not fault the guy pursuing other things in life. He still needs to put food on the table. He was a 6rh round pick in sports where guys drafted that low are out of the league.
he got a 500K bonus to stay with the team on PS after his first season and more money next year.... given that there is millions to be made for him if he succeeds in the NFL, shouldn't he primarily focus on football and football only....just sayin....isn't that putting filet mignon on the table every night!!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He goes up over 1 starting NFL safety through the teeth of the defense and everything changes with the space he provides for everyone.
you under estimate the safties and other players in the league as if Rico is going to run rough shot over them.....its an insult to all these other true football players.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Witten would probably never have made that play, even at his peak. That play is a nice bonus, but the ability to make it is the gravy, not the meat. Consistency and dependability are much more important than the occasional highlight. Now, if Rico can get the consistency and dependability part down to go with the ability to make that kind of play - that would be special. Unfortunately I can't say that is the given that some believe it to be. Rico still has a lot to learn.
there you go...finally some real logic into the conversation.

jrumann59

Reaction score
he got a 500K bonus to stay with the team on PS after his first season and more money next year.... given that there is millions to be made for him if he succeeds in the NFL, shouldn't he primarily focus on football and football only....just sayin....isn't that putting filet mignon on the table every night!!

Again after the hit he took and then the team basically stopping his progress would it not be wise to have something to fall back on especially if he hears the media and his shots are long. He got drafted solely on athletic ability, I am sure the coaches told him so and Jerry has too.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I got my fingers crossed that Dak is able to take advantage of Rico and prove the vision of him being a monster target correct...
Well apparently dak wont be playing , many starters wont, seems jerry decided they dont need to risk any more injuries, so
Rico wont be playing with starters, they see him as expendable and dont care if he gets hurt lol.
He might play the whole game.
PS is over for cowboys, they will just muddle thru these last two games, and start cutting players.

I think they already know who they are keeping.
Be really hard for any player to do enough to change their current status.