Archer: why only a 5th and 6th for Coop? His $20M salary

Adreme

Reaction score
They were under the cap already.

They were not under by enough to sign draft picks and certainly not draft picks and a fresh kicker (even at the league minimum). The entire NFL knew that if no one traded for him Cooper would be restructured or cut and since they were clearly not restructuring him that meant the Cowboys were not going to keep him which meant they had to find someone willing to take on that salary and Cleveland was the only team willing to overpay for Cooper. However, they were not willing to both overpay and give up a decent draft pick.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
Resign Gallup, make it backloaded if you have to. 13m$ AAV could be 5m$ first year cap hit. Lamb will be that much better if he’s the sole focus of the opponent’s game plan. Trading Cooper only works if you have a plan in place to cover for him
We never have a plan. Really, we don't.

I was OK w/ releasing Cooper for a couple of reasons. 1. Salary dump. 2. Heart. Coop is not into football. 3. Simply time to move on.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They were not under by enough to sign draft picks and certainly not draft picks and a fresh kicker (even at the league minimum). The entire NFL knew that if no one traded for him Cooper would be restructured or cut and since they were clearly not restructuring him that meant the Cowboys were not going to keep him which meant they had to find someone willing to take on that salary and Cleveland was the only team willing to overpay for Cooper. However, they were not willing to both overpay and give up a decent draft pick.

Then restructure his deal. They certainly gone do with far lesser players.

No amount of spin can make losing Cooper look good.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
He’s 27. Taking the 1 outlier season doesn’t make sense. Especially when his targets drastically declined due to no fault of his own
I'm positive he had something to do with his decline.

Adreme

Reaction score
Then restructure his deal. They certainly gone do with far lesser players.

No amount of spin can make losing Cooper look good.

They do not think he is worth that money. Period. Having a player who underperforms and misses a game for a self inflicted wound is not a player worth the money they are paying him. Restructuring it does not make him worth it so the only bad part is that they paid him that to begin with.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They do not think he is worth that money. Period.

And does what 'they think' mean it's right?

Having a player who underperforms and misses a game for a self inflicted wound is not a player worth the money they are paying him. Restructuring it does not make him worth it so the only bad part is that they paid him that to begin with.

And yet they keep paying Lawrence...

Adreme

Reaction score
And does what 'they think' mean it's right?

And yet they keep paying Lawrence...

I mean only one team was willing to trade for him with that salary so apparently 30 other teams agree that he is not worth that price, and the Browns have about the same franchise success the past 25 years as the Cowboys, and the one team that did offered them scraps. Lawrence is also overpaid but they only save 8m getting rid of him versus 16m for Cooper and you can find someone to do what Cooper does for less than 16m but you cannot find a DLaw for 8m.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mean only one team was willing to trade for him with that salary so apparently 30 other teams agree that he is not worth that price, and the Browns have about the same franchise success the past 25 years as the Cowboys, and the one team that did offered them scraps.

It wasn’t simply a matter if his salary, it was the combination of taking on the salary and giving up draft picks to do it. That doesn’t make Cooper a bad player.

Lawrence is also overpaid but they only save 8m getting rid of him versus 16m for Cooper and you can find someone to do what Cooper does for less than 16m but you cannot find a DLaw for 8m.

No. You can find better. As in guys who actually sack the quarterback.

Creeper

Reaction score
To me this trade is just more proof of what a bad GM Jerry is. This is such a clown show. First he trades for Cooper, who had a history that looked a lot like his time with Dallas. Jerry gives up a 1st round pick for him when no one else would. Then Jerry gives Cooper a huge contract. Two years later Jerry is angry with Cooper because he did not live up to the contract Jerry gave him. This is the kind of mistake you let other teams make. But then Jerry criticizes Cooper almost making it certain he had to be let go or traded. Who on this planet did not know the Cowboys were going to dump Cooper? Why give up a good draft pick when you know you can bid for Cooper on he open market? So Jerry gets the best offer of a 5th round pick for a player Jerry thought was going to win a championship for the Cowboys. Jerry is clueless.

Jerry ruined this from the beginning. First, why criticize a player you want to trade? Jerry should have praised Cooper publicly while gauging the trade market for him. This way if he could not get the offer he wanted, he could ask Cooper to restructure his contract. Jerry could do a significant restructure of Cooper and still trade him after next year. But Jerry fixed it so no team would make a significant offer for Cooper and after the public shaming why would Cooper agree to a restructure?

I never liked the trade to get Cooper. Gruden doesn't trade away players he thinks are winners. Cooper was never a winner. I have no problem trading Cooper, but not for 5 cents on the dollar. The worst part of this is Cooper was not the problem with the Dallas offense. The sooner Jerry comes to realize that the better it will be for the Cowboys.

By the way, for thos people talking about comp picks for Cooper, this is a trade. There are no comp picks. Whatever Jerry gets from the Browns is all he is going to get.

Adreme

Reaction score
It wasn’t simply a matter if his salary, it was the combination of taking on the salary and giving up draft picks to do it. That doesn’t make Cooper a bad player.

No. You can find better. As in guys who actually sack the quarterback.

The draft picks do not matter. They have already been paid. You do not continue to waste money because you already wasted resources in the past. That is a classic sunk cost fallacy. If something is a bad decision you just accept it and move on. Arizona was smart enough to do it and they are relevant for it. They probably have to make a few more big moves to take the next step but accepting that their 9th pick was not the guy after 1 year and significantly upgrading the position was a good move even if it meant that a 1st round pick was effectively thrown away.

Meanwhile for DLaw for 8m find me a player who can both stuff the run and sack the QB? Because the only ones I see who can do it are going to get at least double that easily.

tunahelper

Reaction score
he doesn't need confidence, hes a dang vet now with plenty of confidence! want dak to feel more comfy fix the OL and get him a run game and scheme more..

yes less option both for Moore and Dak = a myopic focus less payers crying over targets. Most teams only have true #1 and then some role players at WR..IE Aaron rogers etc..too many mouths to feed can cause conflict and IF Lamb would have been picked before Amaris deal got signed, Amari would have been gone.

he got his 20mil because at the time he was the #1 and they felt dak needed him, than Lamb falls into our laps 3 weeks later and too late to go back. Now AC numbers are dropping, hes not happy to point not only is he finally talking hes beefing and it showed on the field lack of passion and lack of drive or motivation etc. So at this point hes overpaid, we get 16mil back plus 2 draft picks and can now focus on Lamb as the primary plus whomever else we sign ie gallup wilson or anther player to be named draft or otherwise.. Schultz is daks blanket more so now than Ac has been in a long time..open your eyes..

this was a solid business move and really wont hurt the team i mean what has AC done to move us further then we have been before he came? they picked the moment to make a move that benefited all party's..seriously think deeper then the oh no we lost good player and somehow we are doomed..

I feel this is part of plan to rediscover the run game with a strong play action pass game and play more 12 offense etc etc.. the DC will adjust to life without coop as all teams do when they make moves like this. He is a loss for sure but not something that will decide our fate,,

get over it

hes gone its over...
Scheme can be better, agreed. However, if you cannot see Dak is missing open WR's there is no point in discussing. I don't have an agenda. I want Dak to be great and Cowboys become a great team. My first priority is winning and Dak is not the QB he needs to be yet. We can win with Dak, but he needs more help than most top 5 QB's in the NFL. He must still develop to reach top 5 QB status.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The draft picks do not matter. They have already been paid. You do not continue to waste money because you already wasted resources in the past. That is a classic sunk cost fallacy. If something is a bad decision you just accept it and move on. Arizona was smart enough to do it and they are relevant for it. They probably have to make a few more big moves to take the next step but accepting that their 9th pick was not the guy after 1 year and significantly upgrading the position was a good move even if it meant that a 1st round pick was effectively thrown away.

You’ll have to clarify what you’re referring to here. First I’m talking about another team giving up picks and taking on Cooper’s contract. And second, who is this Arizona player you’re talking about?

Meanwhile for DLaw for 8m find me a player who can both stuff the run and sack the QB? Because the only ones I see who can do it are going to get at least double that easily.

Why? Lawrence doesn’t “sack the quarterback “. He hasn’t since he signed his huge contract.

elcowboi

Reaction score
Why do fans trick themselves into believing the Cowboys brass will learn from their mistakes? This IS the same ownership so no stupid decision should be surprising.

Adreme

Reaction score
You’ll have to clarify what you’re referring to here. First I’m talking about another team giving up picks and taking on Cooper’s contract. And second, who is this Arizona player you’re talking about?

Why? Lawrence doesn’t “sack the quarterback “. He hasn’t since he signed his huge contract.

Arizona drafted Josh Rosen with the 10th pick (thought it was 9th because I was remembering his quote about 9 mistakes incorrectly) and the very next year selected Murray and traded Rosen thus basically giving up on the 10th pick after 1 year because they were wiling to accept a mistake and move on rather than stick to a mistake. Meanwhile for Cooper no one was really willing to pay him that salary other than Cleveland. The Cowboys were also not willing to pay him that salary for his production. The only way the Cowboys could have gotten more is if they agreed to take on some of his salary but that takes away a lot of the benefits of trading him.

Meanwhile JUST someone who can stuff the run at the level Lawrence can is costing you 13-14m per year (there are examples). Lawrence is a better pass rusher than those (especially when you use the pass rush win rate stat which is what actual GMs use because it is a more consistent measurable) and so you are not finding a DLaw for 8 million and not for 10 or 12 million either.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Arizona drafted Josh Rosen with the 10th pick (thought it was 9th because I was remembering his quote about 9 mistakes incorrectly) and the very next year selected Murray and traded Rosen thus basically giving up on the 10th pick after 1 year because they were wiling to accept a mistake and move on rather than stick to a mistake. Meanwhile for Cooper no one was really willing to pay him that salary other than Cleveland. The Cowboys were also not willing to pay him that salary for his production. The only way the Cowboys could have gotten more is if they agreed to take on some of his salary but that takes away a lot of the benefits of trading him.

Again, that doesn’t make Cooper a bad player. It just means that teams aren’t willing to give up too draft picks to take on big contracts.

Meanwhile JUST someone who can stuff the run at the level Lawrence can is costing you 13-14m per year (there are examples). Lawrence is a better pass rusher than those (especially when you use the pass rush win rate stat which is what actual GMs use because it is a more consistent measurable) and so you are not finding a DLaw for 8 million and not for 10 or 12 million either.

You’ll have to provide examples of these players. You saying it doesn’t make it true.

Carolina got 11 sacks out of Hassan Reddick for $6 million. That’s more than Lawrence and Gregory COMBINED.

Adreme

Reaction score
Again, that doesn’t make Cooper a bad player. It just means that teams aren’t willing to give up too draft picks to take on big contracts.

You’ll have to provide examples of these players. You saying it doesn’t make it true.

Carolina got 11 sacks out of Hassan Reddick for $6 million. That’s more than Lawrence and Gregory COMBINED.

It means Cooper is a player not worth the contract he has. He can be a good player and overpaid and you cannot keep talent around that underperforms their contract or to be specific you cannot keep players around for whom you can get better production for cheaper (ie you can get better than what Cooper produces for 16m).

Also Reddick will get 15-16m per year on a 5 year deal thus proving my point. Last year he was a player with 1 good year so he signed a 1 year prove it deal but now he has a resume and will get paid for it so yes if you want to pay double the savings of cutting DLaw you can go get Reddick right now.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I would have figured every way possible to pay the 20m rather than get a 5th round pick. I mean we bout to give zeke 18m this year smh

manster4ever

Reaction score
I cannot believe we are going to give a guy coming off an ACL 10 mill a year. Ridiculous.

Nothing the billionaire bumpkin and his kid do surprises me....just more of the same. There's a reason they don't win championships any more.