Are Ben & Skin Popular in Dallas?

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Im trying to figure out how these guys stay on the air.

I assume they get a salary . . . . . . . . . :confused:

I listen to ESPN Dallas online. I dont live in Dallas.

Are these guys popular in Dallas? Cowboys homies so they keep their gig?

Just curious.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I wonder myself. Same goes for the Ticket where I believe they came from. They spend too much time on things that aren't relevant to sports IMO. I just want to hear sports. The goofy songs, the schtick's...I guess there's a market for that. 1053 the fan at times is pretty good at just talking sports.

mldardy

Reaction score
rocyaice;4726465 said:
I wonder myself. Same goes for the Ticket where I believe they came from. They spend too much time on things that aren't relevant to sports IMO. I just want to hear sports. The goofy songs, the schtick's...I guess there's a market for that. 1053 the fan at times is pretty good at just talking sports.

The Ticket is one of if not the highest rated stations in DFW. They've been doing what they do for years and I love it. Listening to straight sports talk all day is very repetitive. I love sports but to listen to that all day is draining.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Eh not really popular, Bob and Dan from the Ticket dominate that time slot. The Ticket ftw!

RamziD

Reaction score
I can't stand to listen to any radio coverage of the Cowboys. They are all horrible in my opinion. They are sensationalists who know/care little about the game and just want to say something outrageous to get a response out of listeners.

I drive to Houston almost every weekend and have started listening to their sports broadcasters on 610AM. They are so much better than the Cowboys ones. They actually discuss things pretty rationally. They don't talk over their listeners (much) and let them make their points. It's such a stark difference to the Cowboys coverage.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
TheCoolFan;4726471 said:
Eh not really popular, Bob and Dan from the Ticket dominate that time slot. The Ticket ftw!

BAD Radio is from Noon-3pm. Ben and Skin is from 9am-Noon. 2 different time slots. Ben and Skin are on in the last hour of The Musers and then Norm.

They come from The Ticket, where they were weekend guys and fill ins. That is where their skits, songs and other shtick come from. They also had a short stint on The Fan as well between The Ticket and their current gig on ESPN.

They are ok. I think a lot of their crap they do trying to be funny and creative is lame.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I listen to that show fairly often, usually in spite of myself. Ben especially is the worst of today's modern fan -- he's a panicky knee-jerk reactionary who changes his mind at the drop of a hat -- unless it's to support something he's been preaching. Then he always blames someone else for why it hasn't the way he said it would.

No idea what their ratings are, though.

They don't go against BAD radio, though. They're in the morning.

J-DOG

Reaction score
They are on ESPN Dallas so they are going to have listeners but...this is part of the group who came up with the idiotic theory that Dallas was thinking of trading Dez last year. No truth to that at all, and why would anyone really listen to stuff that people just make up to get ratings?
The sports radio market in Dallas is high in that the demographic in the DFW area is so huge. Lot's of fans who want to listen to sports radio.
Top ratings in this market is 1310 The Ticket. Been that way for years.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Ah that's right, I must've been thinking of when Ben and Skin started on The Fan since I don't really pay attention to ESPN Radio anymore

The Dallas ESPN shows are boring and The Ticket has the best balance IMO. The Fan tries to be like both but they're not really good at hardcore sports discussion or shtick. At least The Ticket has Norm and Bob Sturm for those that really want to listen to some hardcore sports talk.

gmb85

Reaction score
Skin is good for basketball stuff. Ben is just horrible. I would rather listen to the Michael Irvin show and his gay friend.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
TheCoolFan;4726501 said:
Ah that's right, I must've been thinking of when Ben and Skin started on The Fan since I don't really pay attention to ESPN Radio anymore

The Dallas ESPN shows are boring and The Ticket has the best balance IMO. The Fan tries to be like both but they're not really good at hardcore sports discussion or shtick. At least The Ticket has Norm and Bob Sturm for those that really want to listen to some hardcore sports talk.

To me, Bob and Dan has the best complete show on The Ticket. Good mix of bits, sports and tv show/movie talk. Plus, I love hearing Bob talk sports. I've been listening to him since he was on at nights solo on The Ticket. Dan is hit or miss but I agree with a lot of his reasoning. Donny is a good addition as well.

The worst to me is The Hardline. 3pm-4pm is worthless as their show never starts really until 4pm. Then 6:30-7pm is worthless as well. Then throw in ENews which is a beating. Plus, Corby was good a yuk monkey, not a host like he is now.

I like hearing Norm on Mondays and Tuesdays in football season.

The Fan is just horrible all the way around. Every show is crap.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
They are actually really good at making beats and rapping, which is a heck of an accomplishment for 40 year old white guys. As far as their radio stuff in concerned, they are a whole lot of nothing.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
CyberB0b;4726557 said:
They are actually really good at making beats and rapping, which is a heck of an accomplishment for 40 year old white guys. As far as their radio stuff in concerned, they are a whole lot of nothing.

Your avatar is pretty disturbing. :laugh2:

erod

Reaction score
The Ticket has the highest ratings of any AM radio station in the entire United States.

ESPN and 105.3's ratings are microscopic compared to The Ticket. It's almost like they're not on the air.

I listen to all three to an extent, but The Ticket is by far the best on your random day when not much is going on. They are more of a "guy's station" and will talk all sorts of things, and they do it brilliantly. The other two stations try to mimic that, but it comes across forced and corny.

erod

Reaction score
As The Ticket likes to brag, "We can do what they do, but they can't do what we do."

It's 100 percent true.

Bonecrusher#31

Reaction score
The worst show is that New School hot garbage morning show on 105.3 The Fan..

A Skin Fan and Jet Fan talking Cowboys ... I can't wait til they get the Axe they offer absolutely nothing.

I'm just glad Jerry told the idiot Skin Fan he was an idiot for playing " Hail to Slurs " on his show there.:laugh1:

the_h0wey

Reaction score
Blackspider214;4726486 said:
BAD Radio is from Noon-3pm. Ben and Skin is from 9am-Noon. 2 different time slots. Ben and Skin are on in the last hour of The Musers and then Norm.

They come from The Ticket, where they were weekend guys and fill ins. That is where their skits, songs and other shtick come from. They also had a short stint on The Fan as well between The Ticket and their current gig on ESPN.

They are ok. I think a lot of their crap they do trying to be funny and creative is lame.

The compete with Norm who is on the air from 10-12, just like every other Ticket show they dominate ESPN Radio and 105.3 the fan in ratings

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think Ben and Skin has a fair bit of hoops knowledge. I'm not sure either of them are that strong in football commentary.
Have to say that as much Cowboy bashing that goes on--even in Dallas--I don't mid getting a little bit of homerism for a change.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
various thoughts.

ben and skin are very solid on basketball talk.
rest of the year they are out of their depths.

nice guys, they'll get better with experience.

the ticket has some terrible, terrible shows that rate quite well.
no different than 16 year old boys thinking skinny jeans look good... popular isnt necessarily quality.

the ticket started the 24x7 sports cycle so has a huge leg up in DFW but a few of the shows are complete trash. i can't listen to even 5 minutes of the musers.

i listen to a bit of ben and skin but hard to stick around during football season.

my fave show is bob and dan. you get enough distraction stuff to be entertained but the sports talk is thorough and quality.