Are Ben & Skin Popular in Dallas?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
WPBCowboysFan;4726455 said:
Im trying to figure out how these guys stay on the air.

I assume they get a salary . . . . . . . . . :confused:

I listen to ESPN Dallas online. I dont live in Dallas.

Are these guys popular in Dallas? Cowboys homies so they keep their gig?

Just curious.

small-time they is what's on, unfortunatly.

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
Ben and Skin wanted to trade Dez after his first season, and they also still believe blowing up the Mvas champ team was a good idea...thats all you need to know about those shark jumping clowns.....

i mix my radio up ....
10-12 Norm ...he is simply the best IMO
12-2 BAD radio....when they are talking sports Bob is one of the best, but alot of foolishness...(not why i tune in)..so i switch back and forth to the Fan for Elf and Slater
2-3 Coop and Nate on ESPN radio
3 GAC on ESPN radio.....sometimes Richie and Grego but i really detest Richie

Derinyar

Reaction score
If you want serious sports talk you have to go to national stuff and go with things on sirius/xm.

All local sports talk has to do one of two things, beat the same topics into the ground or do a lot of filler stuff. Norm was good, and I still enjoy him on post game stuff, but for day to day I think he's getting a little soft in the head. BAD radio bothers me because I think they could be a hard sports show but that's not the format and they would have to replace Dan who I don't think knows sports. I could never get into the musers and I think the Hardline died when Greg Williams got fired and Rhyner stopped being interested and it became the Corby show.

Now I will get attacked by the P1's saying I just don't get it. My thing is I don't want to get talked to about sports by people who have more access and less knowledge then I do, or at least that is how most of the Ticket hosts come across. They have the ability to talk to a lot of people and get all kinds of inside knowledge, and yet they spend time talking about what they have recorded on their DVR that day.

thewireman

Reaction score
Ben and Skin get on my nerves just for the fact, I don't know if its Ben or Skin, but they like to say "hold on" and hear themselves talk and talk and talk. They seem like know it all's. I can't stand Elf and Slater. Elf is way to PG and always laughs at his own jokes. RAG is ok but Richie likes to argue and that gets annoying. I don't know how the Ticket has such high ratings. You can never get a decent signal with that station.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
J-DOG;4726978 said:
I don't get what you guys are talking about when you say The Ticket doesn't talk sports. When the Cowboys won on wednesday, the next day was nothing but Cowboys talk on all of their shows. Practically every segment was about the Cowboys. IMO if you are not listening to the ticket you are missing out.
Sturm is a great resource for that station as he writes about the Cowboys on Fox Sports southwest and he really gets into the nuts and bolts of every Cowboys game. Norm is...we'll he's Norm. This guy host's the post game show with Donnie after every Cowboys game and is back up to the radio station by 6 am the next day...no matter when the post game show ends...last game the post game show ended at 1am.
BTW...last Friday Tony Romo decided he wanted to talk about the state of the team...who did he call???the ticket. It was on Tony's whim and the ticket dropped what they were doing and just let him talk about the game and everything else.
Oh and another thing...Norm has already talked about next year's draft and players he thinks the Cowboys should be looking at. Some times he worries to much about every little thing but I can tell you he knows about every little thing and anyone who talks that much about the Cowboys...he's a fan of the team.
JMHO :star:
Couldn't agree with you more

nablives

Reaction score
J-DOG;4726978 said:
I don't get what you guys are talking about when you say The Ticket doesn't talk sports. When the Cowboys won on wednesday, the next day was nothing but Cowboys talk on all of their shows. Practically every segment was about the Cowboys. IMO if you are not listening to the ticket you are missing out.
Sturm is a great resource for that station as he writes about the Cowboys on Fox Sports southwest and he really gets into the nuts and bolts of every Cowboys game. Norm is...we'll he's Norm. This guy host's the post game show with Donnie after every Cowboys game and is back up to the radio station by 6 am the next day...no matter when the post game show ends...last game the post game show ended at 1am.
BTW...last Friday Tony Romo decided he wanted to talk about the state of the team...who did he call???the ticket. It was on Tony's whim and the ticket dropped what they were doing and just let him talk about the game and everything else.
Oh and another thing...Norm has already talked about next year's draft and players he thinks the Cowboys should be looking at. Some times he worries to much about every little thing but I can tell you he knows about every little thing and anyone who talks that much about the Cowboys...he's a fan of the team.

Eh, some people want Cowboys cheerleader talk 24/7, and anything else isn't going to cut it.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
CATCH17;4727139 said:
Galloway is pure awesome.

He's certainly the only local guy who's totally up front about his biases and actively seeks out informed opinion regarding his (and everybody else's) knee jerk emotional responses. Can you imagine somebody like Dale Hansen admitting that he doesn't know something?

baj1dallas

Reaction score
J-DOG;4726978 said:

Norm and Sturm are great. But the problem is the rest of the station exists to extend a couple hours worth of good sports talk to 24 hours of lame jokes and peon references.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
baj1dallas;4727399 said:
He's certainly the only local guy who's totally up front about his biases and actively seeks out informed opinion regarding his (and everybody else's) knee jerk emotional responses. Can you imagine somebody like Dale Hansen admitting that he doesn't know something?

Galloway doesn't act like he's the smartest guy in the room but he knows he is the most entertaining in the room.

He'll usually tell you when he has no idea what he is talking about as well which I like.

What's surprising is how much he knows about the NBA.

J-DOG

Reaction score
Galloway is a media guy who thinks he is the center of attention no matter what situation he is in. See Skip Bayless and Dale Hansen as examples of this. I have a hard time respecting Galloway for the simple fact that he resorts to the cliche perceptions about the Cowboys in most everything he talks about. That's just lazy in my opinion.
If the Cowboys get to be a playoff team and show marked improvement Galloway would be the last person in radio/print to admit it. Why as a Cowboy fan would you want to listen to his sarcasm and jokes about the team?
I don't get that and I never will.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
J-DOG;4727412 said:
Galloway is a media guy who thinks he is the center of attention no matter what situation he is in. See Skip Bayless and Dale Hansen as examples of this. I have a hard time respecting Galloway for the simple fact that he resorts to the cliche perceptions about the Cowboys in most everything he talks about. That's just lazy in my opinion.
If the Cowboys get to be a playoff team and show marked improvement Galloway would be the last person in radio/print to admit it. Why as a Cowboy fan would you want to listen to his sarcasm and jokes about the team?

You must be a Mickey Spags fan.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
J-DOG;4727412 said:

He's not even close to Bayless and Hansen. Those two have egos bigger than a Frisco McMansion. Galloway makes fun of his overreactions most of the time. He flip flops harder about Tony Romo than a schizophrenic teenage girl on a teeter totter. It's an amusing premise which he uses as a jumping off point for a relatively serious discussion.

And I couldn't disagree more about him not wanting "the Cows" to succeed. He's not like Goose or Hansen who have personal agendas against Jerry for not stroking their egos. He knows how much fun it will be for the fans and how good for DFW it will be if the Cowboys have success and he wants it as much as any of the local media people do. It's exactly the same way he handles the Mavericks and the Rangers, and even the Stars to a lesser degree.

J-DOG

Reaction score
I guess if you listen to Galloway all the time you get desensitized to his sarcasm and bashing of the team.
As far as flip flopping on Romo...I don't see that as an admirable quality. That's something the national media does because they do no see Romo play every game. As a Cowboys fan I do and I know if it wasn't for him this team's record would have been way worse then it has been.
I don't want to listen to sports radio from a "schizophrenic teenage girl" as it has been put in an earlier post. :D

J-DOG

Reaction score
CATCH17;4727416 said:
You must be a Mickey Spags fan.
Hardly, he get's on my nerves.
I can't stand the way he dismisses the idea of getting any free-agent player available because...."if there so good then why did their team release him" theory.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I have traded emails with Bob Sturm on occasion and he continues to hold up the highest rated sports show banner to justify the junior high school humor they indulge in.

I understand talking sports 24/7 is tough, but the stations brand of flatulence humor is lost on me.

I like Sturm. I think he is sharp.

Ben and Skin are horrid.

Greggo on 105.3 and his cohort can be good, but this is a rehash of Rhyner and Gregg on The Ticket back before Greggo got all involved with cocaine.

Galloway on 103.3 seems to spend his three hours on sports and I don't hear the Fake Jerry, or some character made up by a disc jockey that thinks he a comedian.

If I have a small amount of time to listen - which is usually the case - I don't want to hear people who are not funny trying to be funny.

I prefer hearing about sports.

But Bob will argue that point.

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
nablives;4727386 said:
Eh, some people want Cowboys cheerleader talk 24/7, and anything else isn't going to cut it.

No , some just want serious sports talk...not dorks talking about TV shows, their dogs, telling lame jokes......if there is a game that night or the night before we want to hear about IT...not whats on their Tivo....

nablives

Reaction score
dadymat;4727574 said:
No , some just want serious sports talk...not dorks talking about TV shows, their dogs, telling lame jokes......if there is a game that night or the night before we want to hear about IT...not whats on their Tivo....

If ESPN and the Fan are serious sports talk, I'm the POTUS.

Outside of Broadus, they got nothing but HSOs for people that don't want to think too hard, IMO.

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
nablives;4727741 said:
If ESPN and the Fan are serious sports talk, I'm the POTUS.

Outside of Broadus, they got nothing but HSOs for people that don't want to think too hard, IMO.

none of the stations are 100% serious sports, but ESPN and The Fan spend 3 times as much time on sports than the Ticket.and do alot less skits and stickt.......(other than Norm..like I said i think he is the best in town)

funkytown

Reaction score
Only listen to sports talk radio and nothing else. People think i'm crazy.

I was always a big 1310 the Ticket fan back in the day. Was around when Bob Sturm first started out doing a night show. He's always been on point with his sports talk. Not really a big fan of Dan, but they work well together. Really stopped listening to the Ticket after Greggo left. The Hardline is just not the same anymore.

Which brings me to current day. When I want a good mix of sports talk and non sports talk I choose the FAN, espcially Ritchie and Greggo. Greggo is my favorite DFW sports talk personality. The rest of the FAN is ok. Chris Arnold being on at night really helps Gavin Dawson.

Ben and Skin are cool guys. Just not my favorite sports talk crew. Galloway is just too old school for me. He's all about shock value.