Are Cowboys closer to a champ game with McCarthy?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’d like to think so. Our 1st three consecutive playoff appearances and 1st 3 consecutive 12 win seasons are definitely our best mark this era.

But if playoff success is the ultimate measurement and getting closer to appearing in a championship game , are we really closer?

We have only made it to the Divisional round once under McCarthy in this 3 year streak. And he still only has 1 playoff win.

MM is arguably our best HC this era , at least since Bill. He at least came to us with a SB ring and long history of success in Green Bay. And I think most would or have argued this is our most talented roster this era or at least since Bill. And who knows if Jethro would attract a more experienced or named HC.

So , how were the Cowboys able to have more playoff success from 2014- 2018 with 3 Divisional round appearances which can be argued took us closer to championship appearances than under MM.

It could be argued 2014 and 2016 we were the closet. Losing one opportunity to the Dez catch that wasn’t in Green Bay and a miraculous 3rd and 20 by Rodgers against same team.

I haven’t seen a Cowboys playoff team under MM which looked as good or on the threshold of advancing as either of those teams . And we didn’t ever lay as big of egg choking in playoffs either.

I obviously wouldn’t want to go back but in the end if we don’t have any more success with this team I think there could come a time we give some props to our most under qualified and least experienced HC in Cowboys history. One who at least so far had the best 5 year stretch ( if we are counting playoff success) this era.

Which might be a stronger argument in how bad this era has been that a HC like that would have had the most playoff success this era.

Aven8

Reaction score
This team has a lot of holes this year covered up by Dak and Lamb connections, and Micah and Bland killing it on their ends. Having said that the middle of the D was horrific. Tape and bubblegum was holding it together. Offensively we couldn’t run the football at all. I mean seriously when was the last time TP went for 100?

If you take your blue lenses off it’s plain to see. Stop Lamb connection, and use the aggressive Dline play to your advantage and the Cowboys will overrun the play. They don’t have LB’s so the Guards can easily block 14.

This year reminded me of all the playoff failures of the past 20 years. Always something missing.

Kwyn

Reaction score
I agree with the comments about defense. Our turnovers and sacks are the only thing that led to any success on that side of the ball. The schemes and personnel up and across the middle seemed to be vulnerable every week.

I was shocked at how things dropped off after LVE went out. He was playing for a contract and playing some of his best football since his rookie year.

We definitely need to add a thumper LB this off season

kskboys

Reaction score
Closer than we've been since 09, absolutely.

However, we have to ask the question. Does MM not know what puts us over the top, or does Jerry simply not let him do it?

Asklesko

Reaction score
I don't think so. We are back again at the bottom of the mountain.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
No. We only look as good as we do because our division stinks. If our division improves this offseason, watch what happens to this pampered putrid clown show.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Closer than we've been since 09, absolutely.

However, we have to ask the question. Does MM not know what puts us over the top, or does Jerry simply not let him do it?
You’d argue the 09 team which was blown out by Vikings in Div round was better team than 14 ?

Which I’d argue was best Romo team since at least 07. Yes it still had weaknesses on defense ( if I recall about average ranked) but was most balanced offense and Romo most effective season.

That was IMO a Championship caliber offense in 14. I can’t say that about 09 as the OL was falling apart. I’d rank 07 team higher than 09.

75boyz

Reaction score
I’d like to think so. Our 1st three consecutive playoff appearances and 1st 3 consecutive 12 win seasons are definitely our best mark this era.

But if playoff success is the ultimate measurement and getting closer to appearing in a championship game , are we really closer?

We have only made it to the Divisional round once under McCarthy in this 3 year streak. And he still only has 1 playoff win.

MM is arguably our best HC this era , at least since Bill. He at least came to us with a SB ring and long history of success in Green Bay. And I think most would or have argued this is our most talented roster this era or at least since Bill. And who knows if Jethro would attract a more experienced or named HC.

So , how were the Cowboys able to have more playoff success from 2014- 2018 with 3 Divisional round appearances which can be argued took us closer to championship appearances than under MM.

It could be argued 2014 and 2016 we were the closet. Losing one opportunity to the Dez catch that wasn’t in Green Bay and a miraculous 3rd and 20 by Rodgers against same team.

I haven’t seen a Cowboys playoff team under MM which looked as good or on the threshold of advancing as either of those teams . And we didn’t ever lay as big of egg choking in playoffs either.

I obviously wouldn’t want to go back but in the end if we don’t have any more success with this team I think there could come a time we give some props to our most under qualified and least experienced HC in Cowboys history. One who at least so far had the best 5 year stretch ( if we are counting playoff success) this era.

Which might be a stronger argument in how bad this era has been that a HC like that would have had the most playoff success this era.
All the truth.
You will get your share of personal criticism regarding Garrett here but that in no way shape or form removes the fact that this over paid, playcalling, one time fluke SB winner impersonating a HC, won solely because of his HOF QB.

Just like his QB, he sucks at playoff football.

jwitten82

Reaction score
Lol it's like people don't understand how big a failure this season was. The NFC was weak as we could've asked for .The road couldn't have gotten any better, we faced the youngest team in the league, and if we won we could've possibly face another inexperienced Lions team, both at home

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
No. Our best chance will be in about 4 years when we have finally rid ourselves of a couple players that don't have what it takes to rise in crunch time. MM will be long gone by then and maybe even his replacement will be gone by then.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
All the truth.
You will get your share of personal criticism regarding Garrett here but that in no way shape or form removes the fact that this over paid, playcalling, one time fluke SB winner impersonating a HC, won solely because of his HOF QB.

Just like his QB, he sucks at playoff football.
My thought is more of a critique this era of coaches than accolades for one who also came up short and frustratingly disappointing.

But for our most unqualified and inexperienced HC who was probably our greatest puppet under Jethro he at least didn’t do any worse in playoffs than much more qualified HC’s. But yet he seems to be bashed more.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
no, we are never bringing Garrett back. we got tired of your excuses of blaming jerry. Jerry won't let Garrett call plays, jerry won't let Garrett wire a headset. Jerry makes garret wash the jocks and socks. smh