Are Cowboys closer to a champ game with McCarthy?

kwcool619

Reaction score
Not even close especially the comments from DLaw. Too tired? Burnt Out? It's sad they lost the game BEFORE stepping out on the field. That "tired" and "burnt out" mindset plus the shot of Dak with the 'deer-in-headlights' gaze before kickoff equaled a Loss.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not even close especially the comments from DLaw. Too tired? Burnt Out? It's sad they lost the game BEFORE stepping out on the field. That "tired" and "burnt out" mindset plus the shot of Dak with the 'deer-in-headlights' gaze before kickoff equaled a Loss.
Their mentality along with party plans doomed them before they ever got to the game. Should of been business like in their approach instead. DLaw made no sense as all teams play the same amount of games. They would be equally tired or burnt out I would think.

kwcool619

Reaction score
Their mentality along with party plans doomed them before they ever got to the game. Should of been business like in their approach instead. DLaw made no sense as all teams play the same amount of games. They would be equally tired or burnt out I would think.
All the teams are worn out at season's end. It becomes survival of the mental fittest.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He's better than Garrett. So he's cleared that huge frigging hurdle.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The miracle win against Detroit now gives them a 1st place schedule next season....let's see how that goes
It’s been almost 20 years since anyone has repeated winning NFCE.

Which means a WC slot for us next year is most likely with 1st place schedule.

And we’d need consecutive playoff wins on the road to reach a champ game.

kskboys

Reaction score
Only if Jerry gets out of the way. MM drafted quality DT's in GB, there's only one reason why he's not doing the same thing here. If Jerry gets the hades out of the way and allows someone to build a real D, then we might. As long as we're taking TE's and CB's and injured LB's high in the draft when we can't stop the run, we won't be championship material.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I don't think we will see another Dallas SB appearance in my lifetime. I am 53. That said, McCarthy keeps us within striking distance, I guess. Its kinda like football purgatory where you can see the Trophy but never can hold it...year after year.

shabazz

Reaction score
And we’d need consecutive playoff wins on the road to reach a champ game.
We had the good fortune to get to win two consecutive HOME games and couldn't even win one.

To win on the road a team has to have identity, heart, and killer instinct..... do we even have one of these attributes?

kskboys

Reaction score
We had the good fortune to get to win two consecutive HOME games and couldn't even win one.

To win on the road a team has to have identity, heart, and killer instinct..... do we even have one of these attributes?
And LB's. No.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I’d like to think so. Our 1st three consecutive playoff appearances and 1st 3 consecutive 12 win seasons are definitely our best mark this era.

But if playoff success is the ultimate measurement and getting closer to appearing in a championship game , are we really closer?

We have only made it to the Divisional round once under McCarthy in this 3 year streak. And he still only has 1 playoff win.

MM is arguably our best HC this era , at least since Bill. He at least came to us with a SB ring and long history of success in Green Bay. And I think most would or have argued this is our most talented roster this era or at least since Bill. And who knows if Jethro would attract a more experienced or named HC.

So , how were the Cowboys able to have more playoff success from 2014- 2018 with 3 Divisional round appearances which can be argued took us closer to championship appearances than under MM.

It could be argued 2014 and 2016 we were the closet. Losing one opportunity to the Dez catch that wasn’t in Green Bay and a miraculous 3rd and 20 by Rodgers against same team.

I haven’t seen a Cowboys playoff team under MM which looked as good or on the threshold of advancing as either of those teams . And we didn’t ever lay as big of egg choking in playoffs either.

I obviously wouldn’t want to go back but in the end if we don’t have any more success with this team I think there could come a time we give some props to our most under qualified and least experienced HC in Cowboys history. One who at least so far had the best 5 year stretch ( if we are counting playoff success) this era.

Which might be a stronger argument in how bad this era has been that a HC like that would have had the most playoff success this era.
I don't really think they are. McCarthy having 3 seasons of 12-5 are more about Micah Parsons being drafted. He makes a big difference against mediocre and bad teams. Has failed to do so against the better teams.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
My thought is more of a critique this era of coaches than accolades for one who also came up short and frustratingly disappointing.

But for our most unqualified and inexperienced HC who was probably our greatest puppet under Jethro he at least didn’t do any worse in playoffs than much more qualified HC’s. But yet he seems to be bashed more.
That is because Jason Garrett only made the playoffs 3 times in his 10 yr tenure as head coach................he missed the playoffs 70% of the time.

Fat Mike has been here 4 years and has made the playoffs 3 times already and the one year he missed the playoffs was the Covid year.

I'm sorry, but if one coach misses the playoffs 70% of the time and the other coach makes the playoffs 75% of the time and could have been 100% of the time if not for a world wide pandemic, then there is no comparison to be made. Jason Garrett was the most unqualified, untalented, and undeserving head coach the Cowboys have ever had and Fat Mike getting beat in the 1st round every single year does not change that.

Motorola

Reaction score
That is because Jason Garrett only made the playoffs 3 times in his 10 yr tenure as head coach................he missed the playoffs 70% of the time.

Fat Mike has been here 4 years and has made the playoffs 3 times already and the one year he missed the playoffs was the Covid year.

I'm sorry, but if one coach misses the playoffs 70% of the time and the other coach makes the playoffs 75% of the time and could have been 100% of the time if not for a world wide pandemic, then there is no comparison to be made. Jason Garrett was the most unqualified, untalented, and undeserving head coach the Cowboys have ever had and Fat Mike getting beat in the 1st round every single year does not change that.
Missed the playoffs in 2020 more so because the starting QB was injured in the fifth game and was out the remainder of the season.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
No. This year was Dallas best chance to make the NFC championship game. Unless Dallas is getting the 1 seed, I don't see happening, then their chance goes down not up.

With the 1 seed the team gets a weeks rest, perhaps they won't be tired
I don't think we get it even if we get the 1 seed. This team is a dead team walking. Wasted year.

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
I’d like to think so. Our 1st three consecutive playoff appearances and 1st 3 consecutive 12 win seasons are definitely our best mark this era.

But if playoff success is the ultimate measurement and getting closer to appearing in a championship game , are we really closer?

We have only made it to the Divisional round once under McCarthy in this 3 year streak. And he still only has 1 playoff win.

MM is arguably our best HC this era , at least since Bill. He at least came to us with a SB ring and long history of success in Green Bay. And I think most would or have argued this is our most talented roster this era or at least since Bill. And who knows if Jethro would attract a more experienced or named HC.

So , how were the Cowboys able to have more playoff success from 2014- 2018 with 3 Divisional round appearances which can be argued took us closer to championship appearances than under MM.

It could be argued 2014 and 2016 we were the closet. Losing one opportunity to the Dez catch that wasn’t in Green Bay and a miraculous 3rd and 20 by Rodgers against same team.

I haven’t seen a Cowboys playoff team under MM which looked as good or on the threshold of advancing as either of those teams . And we didn’t ever lay as big of egg choking in playoffs either.

I obviously wouldn’t want to go back but in the end if we don’t have any more success with this team I think there could come a time we give some props to our most under qualified and least experienced HC in Cowboys history. One who at least so far had the best 5 year stretch ( if we are counting playoff success) this era.

Which might be a stronger argument in how bad this era has been that a HC like that would have had the most playoff success this era.
Good post @Diehardblues . I really like Mike, I think the team plays hard for him. I don't understand some of the playoff losses, but I don't think a lot of that is on him. These are grown men who know what they are supposed to do.

I think he's our best coach since Jimmy. Just my opinion.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
No, Dallas is a division champ, with first round capabilities. Nothing more, could be less.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

The point remains McCarthy hasn’t had any more success in the playoffs. As I started off the original post stated” I’d like to think we are closer”. And added “ 1st 3 consecutive 12 win seasons and playoff appearances best mark this era”.

But it remains arguable whether we are any closer to a champ game appearance than those 5 years(from 2014-18) with 3 Divisional Round appearances .

Which is remarkable considering what a more deserving , experienced and successful head coach McCarthy is not to mention more regular season success.

The fact Garrett had no qualifications to become a HC and no prospects since punctuates how deflating it is for the rest of our HC’s this era that they haven’t had anymore playoff success nor taken us any closer to a Champ game appearance.