Are Cowboys closer to a champ game with McCarthy?

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
You’d argue the 09 team which was blown out by Vikings in Div round was better team than 14 ?

Which I’d argue was best Romo team since at least 07. Yes it still had weaknesses on defense ( if I recall about average ranked) but was most balanced offense and Romo most effective season.

That was IMO a Championship caliber offense in 14. I can’t say that about 09 as the OL was falling apart. I’d rank 07 team higher than 09.
In hindsight 14’ was probably our best chance. Run game was ridiculous behind a great o line, dez was a beast and Romo was at his absolute best with understanding the game and being aided by demarco. 1 score game at Green Bay with 4-5 mins left to play and if the dez catch was called correctly we likely have a lead with 2 mins or so left and our defense on the field to force a stop to get to the championship game.

This team? I do feel is good. I don’t think it was ever as good as the people who thought they’d make the Super Bowl but I also feel it’s not as bad or as far away as people are talking. I think with the proper additions to the roster this team could absolutely contend at the highest levels.

Therein lies the issue- will the organization be aggressive enough or shrewd enough to make the moves necessary? I don’t know. You see San Fran adding a Hargrave and cmac, you saw what LA did, you see how opportunistic Philly can be and then Dallas makes half measure moves. Trade for cooks and Gilmore, both nice trades but trade at their price for players who are no longer pro bowlers or all pros.

the cap is real but can be manipulated. The approach to free agency and trades needs to change this off-season if they feel that dak is the guy and McCarthy is the right coach. No more half measures. We’ve seen teams go all in and still be fine. Regardless of what many fans say here, winning 10,11,12 games every year, making the playoffs and being in the hunt absolutely does matter and is hard to do. It just does and just is. Now the question becomes what is the organization gonna do to get us from good to elite knowing that daks gonna be here.

The ball really is in their corner.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Sadly I have to say no. Little has changed when it matters most.

rambo2

Reaction score
We are still carrying the same problem we've had since the Rams bludgeoned us in 2018. We can't run or stop the run. Fixing that would be a start.
That's why I want 2 new defensive tackles and at least a couple of linebackers. See my recent mock draft in the draft zone.

Reactions: CWR

75boyz

Reaction score
Sadly I have to say no. Little has changed when it matters most.
Me too. And I'll take it a step further. McCarthy has shown he can win more regular season games more consistently than Garrett.

Then it's a hard stop.
He has proven nothing further.
Sucks at playoff coaching as a matter of fact.
Pathetic.

CWR

Reaction score
That's why I want 2 new defensive tackles and at least a couple of linebackers. See my recent mock draft in the draft zone.
I'm hoping we can bulk Mazi back up and salvage him, but yeah we probably need 2. Yeah I'd loves some lbs too. They are desperately needed. As much as I believe Overshown will help, he's light to be playing the run at LB.

rambo2

Reaction score
I'm hoping we can bulk Mazi back up and salvage him, but yeah we probably need 2. Yeah I'd loves some lbs too. They are desperately needed. As much as I believe Overshown will help, he's light to be playing the run at LB.
The dtackles are sitting right there for the taking in this draft. However, they would knock out the olinemen that we need too. We could double dip at dtackle this year and at least get that fixed.

Reactions: CWR

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
TBH, this team is so dysfunctional beginning at the top that it seems right now no HC will succeed in taking this team to a championship game, especially with Jerry in the way. And MM is not even close to being great enough to overcome this. Just like ex-players been saying about the culture and how these players are pampered, coddled and treated like champs although they have won nothing. Jerry has brought this all on himself and has no way out other than continue with the charade that his team is close and "around the rim".......you know Jerry, so is a turd right before it is flushed down the drain.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’d like to think so. Our 1st three consecutive playoff appearances and 1st 3 consecutive 12 win seasons are definitely our best mark this era.

But if playoff success is the ultimate measurement and getting closer to appearing in a championship game , are we really closer?

We have only made it to the Divisional round once under McCarthy in this 3 year streak. And he still only has 1 playoff win.

MM is arguably our best HC this era , at least since Bill. He at least came to us with a SB ring and long history of success in Green Bay. And I think most would or have argued this is our most talented roster this era or at least since Bill. And who knows if Jethro would attract a more experienced or named HC.

So , how were the Cowboys able to have more playoff success from 2014- 2018 with 3 Divisional round appearances which can be argued took us closer to championship appearances than under MM.

It could be argued 2014 and 2016 we were the closet. Losing one opportunity to the Dez catch that wasn’t in Green Bay and a miraculous 3rd and 20 by Rodgers against same team.

I haven’t seen a Cowboys playoff team under MM which looked as good or on the threshold of advancing as either of those teams . And we didn’t ever lay as big of egg choking in playoffs either.

I obviously wouldn’t want to go back but in the end if we don’t have any more success with this team I think there could come a time we give some props to our most under qualified and least experienced HC in Cowboys history. One who at least so far had the best 5 year stretch ( if we are counting playoff success) this era.

Which might be a stronger argument in how bad this era has been that a HC like that would have had the most playoff success this era.
MM will be fired before the end of next season.
That's how close we are. :muttley:

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know I'll get slammed for this. But we were there because of Quinn, not McCarthy.
Stay tuned.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TBH, this team is so dysfunctional beginning at the top that it seems right now no HC will succeed in taking this team to a championship game, especially with Jerry in the way. And MM is not even close to being great enough to overcome this. Just like ex-players been saying about the culture and how these players are pampered, coddled and treated like champs although they have won nothing. Jerry has brought this all on himself and has no way out other than continue with the charade that his team is close and "around the rim".......you know Jerry, so is a turd right before it is flushed down the drain.
Ya, this coming season the King is Naked will be the theme at Jerry's World.
His ineptness can no longer be hidden no matter how many of our fans suffer from Homer syndrome.
I expect paper bags to be out and the Boos to be plenty.
Jerry is going out with a whimper and not a bang!!!!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Until we win a divisional round game we’re not any closer than we have been.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
I’ve never felt more embarrassed to be a fan than I was watching their manhoods get taken from them by GB, at home.

I’ve never felt a Cowboys team be further away from a chip game than they are now.

These men have no bite in them, as a team.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
The last 4 seasons has told me all I need to know. Emmitt was right about if he was the GM but we know Jed trying to do it his way.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
How long after someone punches you in the face does it take you to realize you ve been punched in teh face? for many, dont let them lie to you, it takes a long time.