Are Dak's Problems Mostly Mental or Physical?

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Pretty sure I stated that I know exactly what Dak is.. multiple times. Where I differ is with those who claim to know what he can or can't become. I don't.. neither do they.. What we all have in common is that none of us will have any ability to do anything about his play but watch..

lol...are you really going to make me watch, again? I been watching for a long, long, long, time!

Cowboys on three...1...2...3.
Now you made me sad enough to play my guitar.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Pretty sure I stated that I know exactly what Dak is.. multiple times. Where I differ is with those who claim to know what he can or can't become. I don't.. neither do they.. What we all have in common is that none of us will have any ability to do anything about his play but watch..
Didn’t you just say your not sure if he is good or great?

Dak is a top 10 qb in the nfl. That is not debatable. Where he lies between 5-10 is definitely debatable but really doesn’t matter.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I watch film every season.The eye test proves Dak’s not an accurate thrower of the football.Receivers must have a large catch radius as Dak is often off the mark, either, high, low,under, or overthrown.How could you actually watch the games and say he’s accurate?Might need to take off the rose colored glasses and get some real ones.Ask David Carr how accurate Dak is when he absolutely embarrassed himself w/ his accuracy.You ever watch pro bowl skills competition w/ Dak years ago showing his “accuracy?”

The most noticeable part of this video is how effortless the other QBs throw to the deeper targets. Dak first couple throws Dak is way short and then he has to really step into them like he is throwing a bomb. Dak was pathetic in this whole series of drills and came in last.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
This is red herring.. Dak completed almost 69% of his passes DESPITW "slumping" for the last 9 games. He was over 75% before getting injured and having his footwork go to hell when he could not longer work on it as vigorously. Keep him healthy and his accuracy will stay on point.. IMHO of course.

Yes but don't you know completion percentage has nothing to do with accuracy? (Per some posters here).

Though I'd like to know what accuracy is, if completion percentage has nothing to do with it...

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Didn’t you just say your not sure if he is good or great?

Dak is a top 10 qb in the nfl. That is not debatable. Where he lies between 5-10 is definitely debatable but really doesn’t matter.
Roy is top 10 in consistently bad takes. That is not debatable.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The most noticeable part of this video is how effortless the other QBs throw to the deeper targets. Dak first couple throws Dak is way short and then he has to really step into them like he is throwing a bomb. Dak was pathetic in this whole series of drills and came in last.

Ah so that's it!

We just have to draft a quarterback who can win throwing competitions while wearing shorts, with no pressure, no plays to call and throwing to targets on wheels/tracks!

Simple. Just find that guy and multiple SBs will roll into Dallas.

Who knew?

:laugh:

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yes but don't you know completion percentage has nothing to do with accuracy? (Per some posters here).

Though I'd like to know what accuracy is, if completion percentage has nothing to do with it...
When you continuously throw short and “dump off”, completion % is going to be higher.Dak rarely will take any chances downfield as he doesn’t have the confidence to or ability to put the ball where he wants.Just another skewed stat that doesn’t show what kind of throws are being attempted.There’s a big difference between throwing the the ball 5-10 yds and throwing 20yds + downfield.Tua has a high completion % too.He must be great.

bigE79

Reaction score
Unfortunately I think we have a double whammy situation with Dak, i.e., he has both mental and physical problems. On the one hand he has weird mechanics and this results in worm burners and passes sailing over the outstretched arms of receivers. On the other hand, his inaccuracy has clearly affected his confidence, to the point he never attempts difficult passes especially in clutch situations, culminating in that wonderfully comic slide to end last season.
What do the rest of the zoners think?
Like Archie used to say,he's a meathead,dead from the neck up...that last play against the niners proves it... stupid.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
The most noticeable part of this video is how effortless the other QBs throw to the deeper targets. Dak's first couple of throws Dak are way short and then he has to really step into them like he is throwing a bomb. Dak was pathetic in this whole series of drills and came in last.
he sucks and is dumb. it shows in live games and in simple contests

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score

Is very simple.

Grab a ball and go to the nearest hoop. Track your completion percentage from the foul line, then from the 3 point line, then from half court.

There is your answer.

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
How about here, in real game scenarios... What do you see?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Is very simple.

Grab a ball and go to the nearest hoop. Track your completion percentage from the foul line, then from the 3 point line, then from half court.

There is your answer.
dak was shooting layups. no 3 pointers. if he was shooting from half court, he would have to wind up and make a running go slings, he's weak-armed on long "shoots"

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
When you continuously throw short and “dump off”, completion % is going to be higher.Dak rarely will take any chances downfield as he doesn’t have the confidence to or ability to put the ball where he wants.Just another skewed stat that doesn’t show what kind of throws are being attempted.There’s a big difference between throwing the the ball 5-10 yds and throwing 20yds + downfield.Tua has a high completion % too.He must be great.
What are the numbers with regard to yards downfield? If that's the argument, then you'll find the vast majority of QBs throw in the 10 yard range. But I'm genuinely curious what you're referring to.

bonafidebanter

Reaction score
Nah, it's our whack OL, lack of running game and too many penalties. Not too many QBs can overcome that. In our last play off game, we rushed for a grand total of 77 yds., got sacked 5 times to 0 for us, and had a team and NFL record 14 penalties.

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score
What are the numbers with regard to yards downfield? If that's the argument, then you'll find the vast majority of QBs throw in the 10 yard range. But I'm genuinely curious what you're referring to.
By simply watching games and tape and continuously seeing throws of all distances be off the mark.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
another one. you can't disagree with the highlights. I'll look for Tebow next, he's the best!

who said Trent couldn't throw. dak isn't even in Trent's league.
after watching these highlights, I owe Trent an apology. Dak is nowhere as good as Trent either.
  • pinpoint accuracy
  • leads receivers
  • leader
  • super bowl winner {dak never will be}

Sorry, Trent!!!!

Last edited:

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
By simply watching games and tape and continuously seeing throws of all distances be off the mark.
It's ok if you don't have statistics and are just watching Dallas games.
FYI - Prescott was 8th in the NFL in 20+ passes. I'm sure that there were more that resulted in an incompletion due to a drop or a bad throw.
The statistics also show that Dak had a career high in completion percentage, completions, and TDs. So "continuously off the mark" just isn't accurate.

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score
It's ok if you don't have statistics and are just watching Dallas games.
FYI - Prescott was 8th in the NFL in 20+ passes. I'm sure that there were more that resulted in an incompletion due to a drop or a bad throw.
The statistics also show that Dak had a career high in completion percentage, completions, and TDs. So "continuously off the mark" just isn't accurate.
When you throw the ball enough you’re going to accumulate stats.Dak beat up on inferior competition and accumulated lots of garbage yards when game was already in hand vs. prevent type D’s vs better competition.Are those 20+ yard completions actually 20 yd in air passes or screens w/ YAC ect.?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
When you throw the ball enough you’re going to accumulate stats.Dak beat up on inferior competition and accumulated lots of garbage yards when game was already in hand vs. prevent type D’s vs better competition.Are those 20+ yard completions actually 20 yd in air passes or screens w/ YAC ect.?
Now you're changing the argument. Your talking points offer no statistics, they're just your ideas. This is a lot like the notion that Prescott (even though wins & losses are a team stat) doesn't have a great non-conference record. It's a silly point.