Are Dak's Problems Mostly Mental or Physical?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak gets less YAC because he's always late with the ball. He holds the ball to long. There are many plays he's just too late to throw and there are throws for big plays that could've been touchdowns. When wr make their breaks the ball usually isn't on time.
People want to harp on the completed pass stat....it's a red herring. If you want to see what OhReally is talking about...watch the 2021 Bucs Cowboys game. I mean REALLY watch it. Note how the Bucs receive the pass and how Dallas receives passes.

There is a REMARKABLE difference...stride, momentum, motions....just the comfort level alone of receiving the ball.

It's weird because that is regarded as one of Dak's better games...STAT wise. I say set aside your stat worshiping..and do truly use your eyes.

Yep...I said it...the eye test. The things stat abuse won't tell you.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
I agree completely. I have a friend who calls him Cushions because he's only comfortable throwing the ball when there is a big cushion between the receiver and defender. Same idea as what you are saying.

This is one thing I cant digest of late, Any QB worth his salt will let the ball go with some touch to a position and hope his receiver will get it , but Dak is not doing so , that puts a lot of pressure on whole offense , with combined poor running game , in and out pass blocking and inconsistent receivers .

I am not saying Dak is the reason for all our offensive problems but he contributes to that well with some of his mental lapses. Especially against good teams ( non- NFC East , LOL ) this becomes big issue.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
the fact that he said it AFTER the season gave it merit. If it was mid season i would take it with a grain of salt. No reason to be untruthful after the season. He made a point of saying it wasn’t a convenient excuse.

He manned up and I believe him…….I wish some others here would too
Maybe zeke was "manning up" by not accepting an actual real "excuse". Excuses aren't always faked...something to blame that didn't actually happen.

It could easily be that he WAS indeed injured and hampered....but doesn't want it to be a scapegoat. THAT...is "manning up".

basel90

Reaction score
Ok, Dak may not be the answer, but his completion percentage is higher than Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, and right there with Drew Brees, considered one of the most accurate passers ever. Many of those passer's numbers got better as they got older, so it is possible Dak's completion percentage ends up considerably higher than all of them. His YPA is higher than Brady's and right there with Rodgers and I would guess Dak gets much less of his yardage from RAC than either of them so it is really hard to point at him being inaccurate.

You can argue that he isn't clutch and have a better chance of proving your theory.

Also, you do know that Dak didn't call that play at the end of the game, right? That came from wonder boy Moore.
completion percentage , mostly dinks and dunks and checking down . The YPA is mostly against weaker opponents at the NFC East. he has not been effective against good teams .
He is a 4th rounder and it shows more painfully each year.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
completion percentage , mostly dinks and dunks and checking down . The YPA is mostly against weaker opponents at the NFC East. he has not been effective against good teams .
He is a 4th rounder and it shows more painfully each year.
Can't be dinks and dunks AND have a high ypa, especially when we don't get a ton of RAC. He was 7th in the league in air yards.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
This criticism comes up a lot and sometimes it's accurate and sometimes not. You mention Romo's penchant for throwing picks .. Dak is the opposite because he DOESN'T put the ball in harm's way very often. There is a delicate balance to be struck between knowing when to take chances and when to be safe. Dak seems to be still trying to find that sweet spot. Frankly until he does I would much rather he continue to not throw picks in bunches like Romo did. Especially early in his career. There is this constant talk on here that Dak can't get any better at playing QB. That's just stupid talk. Of course he can get better and I believe he will. Frankly I think some of the "he's too dumb" talk is people with Jim Crow leanings outing themselves.. But I digress. Maybe Dak's not getting MENSA invites but he seems more than intelligent enough to play NFL football. Someone argued earlier that he didn't have a strong arm "like Tom Brady and Peyton Manning." Anybody that thinks either of those two had/have strong arms should disqualify themselves from any QB discussion. Neither of those guys ever had anything but maybe slightly above average arm strength. They were great because they processed defenses quickly and got the ball out quickly and accurately. They were never about throwing the ball through a brick wall.

Frankly I think some of the "he's too dumb" talk is people with Jim Crow leanings outing themselves..

What did you mean by typing this?

basel90

Reaction score
Can't be dinks and dunks AND have a high ypa, especially when we don't get a ton of RAC. He was 7th in the league in air yards.
yes , but mostly in futile late comeback attempts , and don't forget he had probably the best receiving corp last year ( Amari , Cee Dee , Gallup etc ). Bottom line , don't let the stats fool you .

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
if they do it’s not Dakotas fault. After the playoff loss one of the first questions he answered was that he’s been 100% healthy after the injury and for the last part of the season

I have no reason to question his honesty
That's not the point. His ankle injury was so severe he spent the entire off season rehabbing that. He didn't spend the off season doing the typical things QBs do. Being 100% healthy isn't the same thing.
I remember an interview with Joe Theismann. He said that level of injury for a QB takes a couple of years to get back where he was. If there's an authority on that injury it's him. Not a bunch of clown haters on a forum.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Sad little man know that we are all laughing AT you, not with you.

You were given a chance but have shown yourself to be nothing more than a childish troll. The adults have dismissed you.

He is new here and wants to show everyone that he is a tough little fella...but, his post so far say it all.

DonaldM

Reaction score
Sad little man know that we are all laughing AT you, not with you.

You were given a chance but have shown yourself to be nothing more than a childish troll. The adults have dismissed you.
I was clowning with him get over it.

Pokes12

Reaction score
Unfortunately I think we have a double whammy situation with Dak, i.e., he has both mental and physical problems. On the one hand he has weird mechanics and this results in worm burners and passes sailing over the outstretched arms of receivers. On the other hand, his inaccuracy has clearly affected his confidence, to the point he never attempts difficult passes especially in clutch situations, culminating in that wonderfully comic slide to end last season.
What do the rest of the zoners think?
YES!!!

Janecka12

Reaction score
To the Dak lovers. The only way you will see that Dak is average is when he goes to another team and see that they don’t improve either. Then you can’t blame Jerrah, Garrett, the OC.,the line, the running backs, the receivers, the defense, the injuries, the refs, etc…..

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would say his problems are mechanical. His footwork, reads and decision making needs to get better. And that may relate to physical as well.

I have no idea the limitations the ankle, calf or the non-throwing shoulder affected him during the season.

Dak "Dual Threat" Prescott is a better QB. Hopefully, he returns to that this season because that was the best version.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
the fact that he said it AFTER the season gave it merit. If it was mid season i would take it with a grain of salt. No reason to be untruthful after the season. He made a point of saying it wasn’t a convenient excuse.

He manned up and I believe him…….I wish some others here would too

Cool, your choice.. But if he gets back to playing lights out after a healthy offseason I will be more inclined to believe he was lying than less. And of course there is reason to be untruthful.. It's called pride. But whatever.. we'll know soon enough whether pre-injury or post-injury Dak was the real Dak.