Are draft picks overvalued?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Neither have "tanked", they're just not good, well-run organizations.
in essence they didn't Philly Sixers tank, but they unloaded a lot of talent, in hopes of accumulating draft picks and creating salary cap in hopes of signing FAs...for the NFL its tanking. in the age of NFL parity, going 1-15 or 0-16.... you are tanking. you have no talent.

JustChip

Reaction score
Yes theyre overvalued. The eagles realize that and have capitalized on it.

Wise man once said- The asset that depreciates the fastest is a NFL draft pick

Hmmm.....so why did the Eagles use a draft pick for Wentz? Why didn't they just trade all their picks for a proven veteran?

kskboys

Reaction score
Thinking draft picks aren't that valuable is in direct contrast to Jimmy Johnson's thinking. He refused to play the players so the draft picks would kick in. And deliberately tanked in doing so, getting higher draft picks. Jimmy knew.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
With this organization....YES!!!! The lack of awareness with this organization when it comes to "where we REALLY are in terms of on field success"......is without bounds. Rarely do non playoff teams draft players in the 1st or 2nd round with no intent on them starting as rookies. When you think of Escobar, Jaylon Smith, Randy Gregory, Taco....I'm sure there are plenty of others I am missing....non playoff teams would need guys drafted in those slots to contribute right away. But the country club we are running does not. All of these guys are made to feel as if they are something they are not before they ever do ANYTHING! Giving Randy Gregory #94...that is just laughable! We think those types of moves motivate guys to become Haley or Ware....or Antonio Bryant being given #88. We might as well trade them for proven players and roll the dice every year. Because Jerry Jones is ALWAYS winning....he never loses. He is simply playing fantasy football and cashing checks. He has proven to ALL of us...that he does not have to win to be #1....to be inducted into the HOF....to keep himself as the GM....to employ all his kids and grandkids to key positions in a football organization. I don't know why I get sucked into talking about Jerry Jones..the weekend just started....and I intend to enjoy it...thinking about the smirk on his face is nauseating.

not sure what to say to this response. you sound frustrated...but trading and paying big bucks to a few FAs, will handicap you cap and we have already seen that, then you end up with no high draft picks, low round picks and fill the gap JAGs with a couple of stars here and there...that's not a formula for success. good team draft well, supplement their current roster with key FA signings and take some gambles.... now because eagles won because they signed a couple of FAs everyone thinks that's the route to go. they gambled....they won...Jeffrey's was a big gamble. he had been injured every year during his career..... he played the whole season last year for the first time in his career..... and now he is jnjured again.

and numbers are meaningless....its meaningful to fans.... 94 means something to you..... to me it doesn't matter. Haley or ware could wear number 90 and they would still be the same. ..the players get to choose numbers for the range of numbers for their positions. teams shouldn't retire numbers or make big deals out of them and I rarely rarely see anyone change numbers during their career.....

I think you are misplacing your frustration and anger...….

kskboys

Reaction score
not sure what to say to this response. you sound frustrated...but trading and paying big bucks to a few FAs, will handicap you cap and we have already seen that, then you end up with no high draft picks, low round picks and fill the gap JAGs with a couple of stars here and there...that's not a formula for success. good team draft well, supplement their current roster with key FA signings and take some gambles.... now because eagles won because they signed a couple of FAs everyone thinks that's the route to go. they gambled....they won...Jeffrey's was a big gamble. he had been injured every year during his career..... he played the whole season last year for the first time in his career..... and now he is jnjured again.

and numbers are meaningless....its meaningful to fans.... 94 means something to you..... to me it doesn't matter. Haley or ware could wear number 90 and they would still be the same. ..the players get to choose numbers for the range of numbers for their positions. teams shouldn't retire numbers or make big deals out of them and I rarely rarely see anyone change numbers during their career.....

I think you are misplacing your frustration and anger...….
Eagles did do it right. They drafted well, then filled in the missing pieces. Most of their primary players were drafted. Cox, Lane, Kelce, Agholor, Wentz, Hicks, Kendricks. Those are the reasons the FA's were able to make the difference they did.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Yeah a sixth and some change :)
This is my point in a nutshell.

You can bank on 500-600 yards and 2-4 TDs from T. Williams. Meanwhile if you draft a 6th round WR and they don't make the practice squad no one takes a second look. These sort of opportunities are all around the league, and taking advantage of them could lead to a much better team.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Eagles did do it right. They drafted well, then filled in the missing pieces. Most of their primary players were drafted. Cox, Lane, Kelce, Agholor, Wentz, Hicks, Kendricks. Those are the reasons the FA's were able to make the difference they did.
that was my point. you have to draft well. you don't abandon the draft and go FA route.....you keep key players. and fill the gaps if you are close. they traded a 4th to get Ajai...not a 2nd or 1st.... they sign Jeffries to a one year deal...then gave him a long term deal....

kskboys

Reaction score
that was my point. you have to draft well. you don't abandon the draft and go FA route.....you keep key players. and fill the gaps if you are close. they traded a 4th to get Ajai...not a 2nd or 1st.... they sign Jeffries to a one year deal...then gave him a long term deal....
Yup. I was expounding on what you said!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
Basically, sometimes the value of draft picks is overvalued and sometimes they're undervalued.

I can think of 3 different examples where draft picks weren't valued, and all led to failure. Commanders, Raiders, and ourselves.

Couple of things you have to consider when giving up draft picks for players:

1) System. Many times a player is great in a system, but not so great in a different system. Joey Porter. Brandon Carr.

2) Age. By the time you are getting a player in a trade, they are generally around 28 or so. And many players are done around 29-30. For every guy that plays til he's 36 there are dozens who don't.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
There's nothing more "overrated" than sorry coaches getting meaningless wins to save their own hides.

This past year? If we don't "win" that pathetic week seventeen game, we're looking at Derwin James and our safety need filled over LVE.

In 2015, if we didn't win a meaningless game against Washington, we're picking Carson Wentz at quarterback at #2 overall instead of drafting a running back at #4.

But hey, we've still got Garrett and Co., right? Right?
Ask any fan of any team to name their best 5 players in team history and I bet you end up with a list of names where there are as many 3rd, 4th or 5th round picks as there are top ten round 1 picks. All i'm saying.