Are some of you mad at how we are building the team through the draft?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
How do you know what strategy they're using since they've only just started?
Relying on the current propaganda coming from the Star?
The fact is they've chopped and changed many times over the last 26 years. 4-3, 3-4, HC with a SB ring, trainee HC, high priced free agents, low ball free agents etc.
The one thing they haven't done for over 30 years, is invest proper capital in a QB.
Maybe they should
try that.

:huh: Dak's contract.

As for the comment regarding strategy, the point was made in respect of the direction away from continuing to overpay our good but not great players and focusing or allowing the youngsters a chance to prove themselves.....the point had nothing to do with playing style.

Btw - How come an Irishman has an avatar of Fran Cotton?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Stafford didn’t have teams as good as Dak.

I said Stafford was better than Dak while he was in Detroit and said I’d rather have him than Dak.

I thought the Rams gave up too much but looks like whatever they gave up was more than worth it in the end.

Whether Stafford had teams as good as Dak's is debatable. Detroit had some elite offensive and defensive players at times while he was there. Their problem, like ours, is team failure, not QB failure. We win against Green Bay under both Romo and Dak without defensive failure, and who knows where those seasons would have ended up, especially if we'd had a defense like the Rams'. There are some plays that we missed against San Fran in the playoffs that could have possibly turned the tide and were team failure. Now, that doesn't mean that Dak was as good as he should have been in that game, but the loss isn't close to being all on him.

I don't believe there's much difference between Dak and Romo and Stafford, and I think Stafford's time in Detroit reflects that. I also believe if Romo had left Dallas for a better team when he was in his prime, he'd probably have a Super Bowl title. Don't know if I can quite say the same about Dak yet, but if he played like he did the first half of last season, that was good enough to win a title. The second half of the season, not so much, but I believe that was primarily because of his injury.

I know you are dug in on your feelings about him, but if you believe his play wasn't good enough the first half of the year, then you need to open your eyes. And this comes from someone who has been critical of Dak's play when it has deserved criticism.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Most on the old site were excited and happy about the signing. I was livid. He was a #2 CB at KC and didn't possess the skillset to be a #1. Horrific player evaluation.

I was happy that we had signed one of the top two FA corners available. And I wasn't upset over how he played when he was here. The Joneses just expected more than what they got for the money, they expected elite, and it changed their view of FA (it wasn't the only thing that changed their view, but it was the tipping point).

kskboys

Reaction score
Marinelli liked his defensive roster too and young players he could mold to play his style.
How did that work?
In addition they didn't draft a premium OLineman.
They spent a 1st on a small school player with technique issues who may turn out to be premium in time, but there is quite the difference.
Tyron Smith was a project pick.

kskboys

Reaction score
I was happy that we had signed one of the top two FA corners available. And I wasn't upset over how he played when he was here. The Joneses just expected more than what they got for the money, they expected elite, and it changed their view of FA (it wasn't the only thing that changed their view, but it was the tipping point).
You just can't pay that much for a decent player. It will leave gaping holes elsewhere.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I think they have a plan, but it's not a good one. They have altered their philosophy multiple times over the years, failing each time. At some point, you have to realize that if nothing you do works, then you are the problem.
yeah they are too arrogant to realize that !
they think because they have made so much money they must be super smart, and dont realize you can be smart in one area,
and not so smart in other areas.

A normal person, would have as you say realized, hey I am not good enough at this, and hire a gm and let the gm hire a coach and manage
the team, but the jones boys are just too arrogant and they like playing at their bought jobs lol.

Thats why I can now enjoy seeing them lose,because they really dont deserve to win another SB.
And if they did then that would really go to their heads.

gimmesix

Reaction score
You just can't pay that much for a decent player. It will leave gaping holes elsewhere.

I feel differently about cap management than you do. I believe the Rams (among other teams) have shown that it is very malleable.

Our problem in 2012 was that we had not been drafting particularly well. The 2009 class of 12 players was a complete disaster. Claiborne was our top pick of 2012. Just emphasizes the importance of using all areas of player acquisition well. Carr wasn't a bad player, but we needed to do a better job of putting better players around him. He needed to be a piece of the puzzle, not the grand prize.

kskboys

Reaction score
Or are you just upset that we aren't using FA to sign a couple high priced guys from other teams that will get us over the top?
This has many parallels to what Tuna did. People were complaining back then also about not signing big FA's. Thing is, is this an actual plan or are we falling into this? And can we continue this route? Do they know what to do next?

gimmesix

Reaction score
yeah they are too arrogant to realize that !
they think because they have made so much money they must be super smart, and dont realize you can be smart in one area,
and not so smart in other areas.

A normal person, would have as you say realized, hey I am not good enough at this, and hire a gm and let the gm hire a coach and manage
the team, but the jones boys are just too arrogant and they like playing at their bought jobs lol.

Thats why I can now enjoy seeing them lose,because they really dont deserve to win another SB.
And if they did then that would really go to their heads.

I truly think Jerry would be depressed if Dallas won a Super Bowl without him as GM. So he convinces himself that not only can they win with him as GM, but he's their best shot at winning. Deep down I believe he knows better, but delusion is a powerful thing.

I can't say that I enjoy them losing, because while the Joneses may not deserve to win another Super Bowl, many players we've seen come and go over the years did deserve it. And as loyal fans, I think we deserve it as well. I don't care how much it would go to Jerry and Stephen's heads.

gimmesix

Reaction score
This has many parallels to what Tuna did. People were complaining back then also about not signing big FA's. Thing is, is this an actual plan or are we falling into this? And can we continue this route? Do they know what to do next?

Tuna's plan was bringing in vets he knows to supplement the roster while he tried to build the team. I wouldn't say his strategy parallels what we are doing now.

The Dallas Cowboys on Thursday signed defensive tackle Jason Ferguson and guard Marco Rivera, two more needed players to their offseason upgrade.

The Cowboys also signed cornerback Anthony Henry on Wednesday and quarterback Drew Bledsoe last week, filling their four most pressing needs just two days into free agency.

"Our plan was to be very aggressive in free agency," said owner Jerry Jones, who wrote $30 million worth of bonus checks this week. "If you're going to go, go and go quick."

Like Bledsoe, Ferguson is a former draftee of Cowboys coach Bill Parcells. Parcells has often called the massive defensive tackle one of the best picks he's ever made, mainly because he snagged him in the seventh round for the New York Jets.

Ferguson was expected to get a five-year deal worth $21.5 million, with a signing bonus of $9 million.

kskboys

Reaction score
I feel differently about cap management than you do. I believe the Rams (among other teams) have shown that it is very malleable.

Our problem in 2012 was that we had not been drafting particularly well. The 2009 class of 12 players was a complete disaster. Claiborne was our top pick of 2012. Just emphasizes the importance of using all areas of player acquisition well. Carr wasn't a bad player, but we needed to do a better job of putting better players around him. He needed to be a piece of the puzzle, not the grand prize.
No, the Rams have not. What the Rams are doing is the exact opposite, which is paying top of the league players only. They let Brockers, Blythe, Ebukam, Troy Hill, Josh Reynolds and John Johnson walk. And I mean, these are all good players. Meanwhile, they paid Kupp, Stafford, Donald and Ramsey, all guys at the top at their positions. It's all about who they elected to pay.

Rams would have let Carr walk, and/or would not have given him a big contract in FA.

visionary

Reaction score
Or are you just upset that we aren't using FA to sign a couple high priced guys from other teams that will get us over the top?

Only a moron can ask this question and expect a serious response

Yes, fans should live the strategy that gave them 3 playoff wins in 26 years

kskboys

Reaction score
Tuna's plan was bringing in vets he knows to supplement the roster while he tried to build the team. I wouldn't say his strategy parallels what we are doing now.
Drafting tough players, bringing in affordable FAs, building the trenches, paying attention to TOP. Parallels it almost to a T.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yes you cant get in a rut with one philosophy , you have to do what is best at the time and work with a plan.
Jones boys also dont have plans, they ad lib a lot and just fix things and think it is all good now we fixed that.
Which leads to the STs draft, constantly drafting WR's and CB's high and giving up major resources for them, and passing up major talents on the DLine and S.
They have a plan now but fans don't like it...build through the draft.

gimmesix

Reaction score
No, the Rams have not. What the Rams are doing is the exact opposite, which is paying top of the league players only. They let Brockers, Blythe, Ebukam, Troy Hill, Josh Reynolds and John Johnson walk. And I mean, these are all good players. Meanwhile, they paid Kupp, Stafford, Donald and Ramsey, all guys at the top at their positions. It's all about who they elected to pay.

Rams would have let Carr walk, and/or would not have given him a big contract in FA.

The Rams signed 38-year-old offensive tackle Andrew Whitworth to a three-year, $30 million deal in 2020. They signed DT A'Shawn Robinson to a two-year, $17 million deal. They have signed good players, but they also have signed great players, along with making trades and using the draft. That's what it takes.

kskboys

Reaction score
The Rams signed 38-year-old offensive tackle Andrew Whitworth to a three-year, $30 million deal in 2020. They signed DT A'Shawn Robinson to a two-year, $17 million deal. They have signed good players, but they also have signed great players, along with making trades and using the draft. That's what it takes.
They signed good players reasonable. That's what I'm trying to tell you.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Drafting tough players, bringing in affordable FAs, building the trenches, paying attention to TOP. Parallels it almost to a T.

Did you not read that article at all? We paid good money to bring in good players and we went after the ones we wanted early in free agency. We were aggressive. That is nothing like what we are doing now.

kskboys

Reaction score
They have a plan now but fans don't like it...build through the draft.
Sign reasonable FAs only unless they are great players, build the trenches, get tough players.

What I'm hoping is that this is actually the plan, and not something we just lucked into.

gimmesix

Reaction score
They signed good players reasonable. That's what I'm trying to tell you.

And I don't have a problem with that. I totally agree that you have to be smart about how you use free agency and trading. Dallas wasn't doing that so the Joneses pretty much decided to minimize the use instead of trying to get smarter about it.

kskboys

Reaction score
Did you not read that article at all? We paid good money to bring in good players and we went after the ones we wanted early in free agency. We were aggressive. That is nothing like what we are doing now.
What article?

We are doing what we did w/ Tuna. Carbon Copy. To be determined if it continues. Jerry messed up Tuna's plan by bringing in TO, which helped turn a 5 year window into a 1 year window. What did we do as soon as Tuna left? CBs and WRs and stopped drafting tough trench players. STs draft in 09. It was a complete clusterfudge w/ no plan.