Are the Cowboys a Superbowl Contender with DLaw signed along with the FA's

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Yes we are. Us, Eagles, Rams, Saints...IMO these are the only NFC teams with a decent chance of getting to the big game. Falcons, Packers, Vikes, Packers, Bears are a tier below.

We will be fighting for the East. I believe we have the best QB, WR (Coop) and O-line in our division, with the Eagles having the best D-line and overall group of receivers (Ertz, Jeffery, Agalor, Goddert, D-Jax better as a group). I want to say if Wentz gets hurt the Eagles won't make the playoffs, but that pesky team almost always seems to find a way to get in.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No. They're the same team that got crap kicked by the Rams. They did nothing in the offseason to change that. Still have a bad QB. Still are weak at DT.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Saints lost their center and haven’t seen any upgrades to a team that scored 19 ppg last 6 weeks. Falcons are more dangerous if their entire defense isn’t wiped out by injury again

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
To me, it's very questionable at this juncture.

Too many "ifs" must be changed into positives this year.

Only then will we see with conviction that we're true SB contenders.

Last edited:
Reactions: CWR

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
this is the same team pretty much that got the dog kicked out of them at the rams until the coaches are better this will never be a superbowl team this team was 3 and 5 on the road last year until they learn to win tough games against good team on the road they are still average team at best trying to get over the hump

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
that's the thing with a lot of cowboys fans the team makes a few moves and then like every year in april and may they start the superbowl talk this team hasn't won a divisional playoff game in over 23 years much less a championship game or a superbowl

davidariust24

Reaction score
I hate to say it...but we still need a proven QB. :rolleyes:

2019 will expose our fraud QB. Kellen Moore will ask our QB to hit intermediate routes in stride...and Dak is poor @ that.

Infact...the Kellen Moore playbook will be all about timing...I see a problem brewing:facepalm:
Dak looked a WHOLE lot better once Cooper got here. You can't deny that. I think his stats nearly doubled once cooper got here and we won 7 out of our last 8 games . That shows you the talent we have. Dak had only 8TDs before Amari and 14 TDs after amari I think it was game 8 when we got amari so almost an equal span. If he had amari cooper for a whole season he could have around 30 TDs and we know he is a threat to run. I've was critical of Dak from that Zeke suspension time until Amari cooper got here. Cooper isnt just a steal his presence showed us Dak is very good if he has a stud to throw to and relieve the pressure off of the rest of the receiving core. I dont feel he is great at the intermediate routes but he isnt poor and he is getting better since cooper got here. Jason Witten and Cobb are going to help a ton in that intermediate area. And if Frederick cam return to pro bowl form and C. William's gets stronger and.bigger watch out for the BOYZ

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
We'll be competitive if WR3 does his job (either one player or a combination of players), we'll be good if Dak and Gallup can connect consistently beyond 10 yards, but we'll be very good if Frederick's return makes a difference for Zeke in the red zone.

Passer rating on Beasley's targets (vs rest of team's targets)
2018 117.3 (95.4)
2017 86.4 (86.7)
2016 110.2 (100.9)

Prescott 10+ yard targets -- WR2 (vs rest of team)
2018 Gallup 84.0 (106.6)
2017 Williams 41.7 (106.7)
2016 Williams 131.9 (117.4)

Elliott's success rate inside 10-yd line (team's rank, red zone TD%)
2018 33% (29th)
2017 65% (7th)
2016 67% (5th)

davidariust24

Reaction score
that's the thing with a lot of cowboys fans the team makes a few moves and then like every year in april and may they start the superbowl talk this team hasn't won a divisional playoff game in over 23 years much less a championship game or a superbowl

We did win 7 out of our last 8 regular season games once cooper got here. Everything improved. Daks numbers, the yards of separation for the other receivers other than cooper went up from 3 to 4 yards. Cooper wasnt here for training camp so they improved on the fly just imagine a whole offseason. Gallup a young player who can easily be forgotten had a good rookie year but showed signs that he will be a future stud. Cobb was a stud a one time but has been fighting a few injuries the last couple of seasons but it's not unheard of that a 29 year old receiver have an injury free season. Witten is back with his saavy . Two things Witten will help with . 1. He will help the run game with his.blocking which we missed a little last season 2 he will help the young guys who improved a ton by the end of the year in Jarwin and Shultz. The defense will be better with Quinn. And up an comers like Armstrong, Taco and LBs like LVE and J Smith. I forgot to even mention Zeke at 23 years old. I think we are ready to contend with a strong draft

davidariust24

Reaction score
We'll be competitive if WR3 does his job (either one player or a combination of players), we'll be good if Dak and Gallup can connect consistently beyond 10 yards, but we'll be very good if Frederick's return makes a difference for Zeke in the red zone.

Passer rating on Beasley's targets (vs rest of team's targets)
2018 117.3 (95.4)
2017 86.4 (86.7)
2016 110.2 (100.9)

Prescott 10+ yard targets -- WR2 (vs rest of team)
2018 Gallup 84.0 (106.6)
2017 Williams 41.7 (106.7)
2016 Williams 131.9 (117.4)

Elliott's success rate inside 10-yd line (team's rank, red zone TD%)
2018 33% (29th)
2017 65% (7th)
2016 67% (5th)

I feel Zekes redzone scoring will return if Frederick returns to pro bowl form, connor William's gets bigger and stronger, and Wittens run blocking is the same. Guys like Gallup, Jarwin and Shultz will be waay better with last year under their belt and a whole offseason. They will be better players which will.make the team better without a draft . With a strong draft.this team will be up there with any team

GenoT

Reaction score
No theyre not lol like 12-15 are every year.
Ask the fanbase of all but a handful of teams in April if they think they can, if not will, contend in the coming season and you’ll get @28-29 yeses.

davidariust24

Reaction score
Ask the fanbase of all but a handful of teams in April if they think they can, if not will, contend in the coming season and you’ll get @28-29 yeses.
Yes that's true, BUT can all those teams say the reason why we go to the playoffs one year and then miss the next all the time was because of injury or suspension of one or more of your top 3 players.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does it matter? Every season a couple of contenders slide and a couple of surprise teams rise. Until we are well into the season, we won't know whether we are a true contender or not.

I discovered a while back that the secret to enjoying the season is to manage my expectations and sometimes that means no expectations. At this point, I do not even consider the Cowboys to be the best in the division, let alone the NFC. Need to see them play first and see how this inexperienced OC does and how well that OL holds up.

visionary

Reaction score
Todd archer (ESPN) says with the Lawrence signing the Cowboys are now Superbowl contenders. If Travis Frederick returns to Pro bowl form and Connor William's improves his size and strength the offensive line will be better and we will have depth. Robert Quinn is going to add a ton of speed and marinelli will get the best pit of him. Cobb along with an improved Gallup and Amari Cooper are going to be fun to watch. Zeke is Zeke. Dak had like 14 TDs after cooper arrived imagine a whole season. LVE and Smith will be better. We will have a very food season especially with a strong draft.

No

Any more questions?

ESisback

Reaction score
Who is the worst HC to ever win a Super Bowl?

Switzer doesn't count....he was simply asked to continue his retirement in Dallas to prove Jerry's point, he was never brought in here to coach.

Ronster, that ”Switzer’s an Idiot” agenda is worn out.

CCBoy

Reaction score
...The Cowboys were not going to find Lawrence's replacement in the draft, even if they had a first-round pick this year. Rookie pass-rushers almost always need time to develop and the Cowboys are not in a position to wait.

They needed Lawrence because of the message it sent to the locker room. The Cowboys boast that their goal is to draft and develop players before signing them to lucrative contract extensions. The list is impressive: Terence Newman, Jason Witten, Bradie James, Tony Romo, Ware, Marion Barber, Jay Ratliff, Doug Free, Orlando Scandrick, Dez Bryant, Sean Lee, Tyron Smith, Tyrone Crawford, Travis Frederick, Terrance Williams and Zack Martin.

Not all of the deals worked out perfectly. Not every decision to let other players walk was correct either. The Cowboys do not want to play in the deep end of the free-agent pool. The risk is too great. They want to know what they are buying, and with a player's track record they can make better assumptions.

It's more than that. Lawrence had two surgeries in 2016. The first back surgery did not correct a disk issue. He could have shut it down that year but opted to keep playing even though it was obvious he was not the same player. He sat the final three regular-season games to be ready for the playoffs that year.

What message would the Cowboys have sent to the rest of the locker room if they let Lawrence walk or play another year on the franchise tag. Especially after proving 2017 was not a fluke with a second straight Pro Bowl appearance? Some would have pointed to the fact he played hurt and the Cowboys turned their back when it came time to reward him...

www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cowboys/post/_/id/4769048/new-deal-for-demarcus-lawrence-was-crucial-for-cowboys

DCowboyz

Reaction score
Wow, a lot of negative people here. If we draft a stud Safety I'd say we are back in the mix. I don't see a NFC team that is miles better than anyone. The Rams and Saints do not scare me. The Eagles are 50/50 with their injury prone QB.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
A lot of people seem to forget that there’s 31 other teams in the league and with a few exceptions, most of them are “improving” their roster as well. If the Eagles stay healthy they may be better than last year. The Commanders will probably still suck but they were also decimated by injuries last year. The Giants may actually be decent, they’ll definitely be better than last year. Why don’t we concentrate on winning the NFCE before this nonsense Super Bowl talk.

Get back to this question midway through the season and we’ll at least have a small idea if it’s possible but even then it won’t be easy to predict.

The have an injury recovered Wentz as their starter. Not scared with him as their qb.