Are the Cowboys considering trading up in the second round?

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
They should be trading down. If you’re not going to be active in free agency, you need the draft picks to fill out your roster. Losing a first round pick is essentially losing more than half your draft value, picking up some additional pieces will serve better than whoever that second round pick would have been.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
They should be trading down. If you’re not going to be active in free agency, you need the draft picks to fill out your roster. Losing a first round pick is essentially losing more than half your draft value, picking up some additional pieces will serve better than whoever that second round pick would have been.

Meh....we have plenty of depth guys. We need a few more good players, not a roster full of scrubs.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Stephen Jones says they stay away from free agency because you never want to think you want to be thinking you are a player away.

Yet, when it comes to the draft, it is okay to give up the very resources you value to get one player?

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score

No. That gets you the 2009 draft class

slick325

Reaction score
This has always been my expectation. Seriously doubt they sit and wait hoping for someone they like to be there.

I'm all for them moving up to get a 3Tech that can make an immediate impact on the defensive line.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
More likely speculation to get clicks.
How many times in past drafts have they, or any team have visits with players above where they pick.

It is preparation in case an opportunity comes along to trade up or down. Or the player may fall to pithing their range.
nothing to be concerned about.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I would personally look to fill a couple holes with guys from the AAF that are excelling. There are some safeties and corners that are doing well and I would definitely pursue Garrett Gilbert as a backup. THese guys are going to be as cheap as most rookies and they have more game tape against NFL level talent. They will be just as good as depth as a bunch of late round draft picks IMO. In the draft, stay where you are are or move up slightly to get the BPA. We can use upgrades at S, DT, DE, QB and RB. MIght be able to fill the last two with AAF or vets.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So we sign no one of significance in FA.

Then plan on trading some of our only 6 picks to move up as if we are just one player away?

LOL.

It won't happen. IMO anyway. Which means nothing. :laugh:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would personally look to fill a couple holes with guys from the AAF that are excelling. There are some safeties and corners that are doing well and I would definitely pursue Garrett Gilbert as a backup. THese guys are going to be as cheap as most rookies and they have more game tape against NFL level talent. They will be just as good as depth as a bunch of late round draft picks IMO. In the draft, stay where you are are or move up slightly to get the BPA. We can use upgrades at S, DT, DE, QB and RB. MIght be able to fill the last two with AAF or vets.

Didn't Manziel just sign with an AAF team?
There ya go Jerry. :muttley:

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
So we sign no one of significance in FA.

Then plan on trading some of our only 6 picks to move up as if we are just one player away?

LOL.

It all depends on where you think this team is as a competitor.

And if you think we still aren't going to sign any outside players. I would bet we still make a couple moves. And I do think a couple impact draft picks could make a big difference.

We will get Frederick back on the OL. Depth there is good. I like our WR corps...I think Austin and a combo of some of the other receivers can make up for Beasley. On defense, we do need some starting quality players on the DL. As you know, even high first round picks don't always make an impact there, at least not immediately.

I do think that the team is at the point where they should be focusing on quality, not quantity. I am disappointed that they haven't targeted at least one impact free agent from the outside.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Didn't Manziel just sign with an AAF team?
There ya go Jerry. :muttley:

Yeah, what a trainwreck Manziel has become. I honestly think he has no shot. The Canadian Football League should have been perfect. Open field, more ability to freelance...and he didn't do very well. So now he is going to come in to a team that isn't very good, and with a week of practice try to put up some good tape. I don't see it happen. This just might be the end for Johnny Football.

conner01

Reaction score
More likely speculation to get clicks.
How many times in past drafts have they, or any team have visits with players above where they pick.

It is preparation in case an opportunity comes along to trade up or down. Or the player may fall to pithing their range.
nothing to be concerned about.
If a team wanted a particular guy they may consider trading up but you can plan it since you won’t know if he’s there
I could see a small trade up if a guy fell they had a high grade on but honestly 6-8 spots is about all I could see
Say sweat fell and was there at 50, I could see moving up, but you can’t plan anything like that
You would likely have discussions on who is worth a slight move up

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I could see them moving up a few picks if someone falls, but can't see them giving up their entire draft to move towards thr top.