Are the Cowboys considering trading up in the second round?

glimmerman

Reaction score
Picking at the bottom of the second then we would have to give up a bunch to get back in the first round...

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The higher they pick, the more skill trumps luck. They need a player to start or at least get the reps because they did not add a starter in FA and if we think they can go forward with the team as is, I think we're in for disappointment. They cannot have another Charleton top pick.

If they stick at 58, will there be DT's or S's available that are an upgrade over what they have now as starters? With this team, I would always go for the quality pick over quantity picks, how good are they after the second day? And other than talking a flier on Gregory and Smith, how good are they after day 1?

I think some might get seduced into thinking they are master drafters just because they're better then they used to be but that cat is still there that pulled that 2009 embarrassment. That was all Idiot Boy Child's draft.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Picking at the bottom of the second then we would have to give up a bunch to get back in the first round...
They might just move up in the 2nd round but Booger sitting on his hands on Day 1 and having nothing to do seems a bit odd.

And they might be trying to trade Lawrence and that's why they're looking at players higher up than the 58th spot. But I still don't see a team giving up a 1st for Lawrence.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
The higher they pick, the more skill trumps luck. They need a player to start or at least get the reps because they did not add a starter in FA and if we think they can go forward with the team as is, I think we're in for disappointment. They cannot have another Charleton top pick.

If they stick at 58, will there be DT's or S's available that are an upgrade over what they have now as starters? With this team, I would always go for the quality pick over quantity picks, how good are they after the second day? And other than talking a flier on Gregory and Smith, how good are they after day 1?

I think some might get seduced into thinking they are master drafters just because they're better then they used to be but that cat is still there that pulled that 2009 embarrassment. That was all Idiot Boy Child's draft.

Have you ever seen the mile long list of players taken as high as #1 pick that turned out to be busts in the NFL? To say that a high or higher pick is some kind of guarantee of not getting a bust is just goes against that mile long list.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If there is a player they really like and it requires them to use a pick to move up and get him then do it. I would not expect Dallas to move up unless they really liked the player they were interested in. I think the job that the scouts and Will McClay have done gives me confidence in their judgement.

glimmerman

Reaction score
They might just move up in the 2nd round but Booger sitting on his hands on Day 1 and having nothing to do seems a bit odd.

And they might be trying to trade Lawrence and that's why they're looking at players higher up than the 58th spot. But I still don't see a team giving up a 1st for Lawrence.
Depends on how bad the team needs a edge rusher. We need him ourselves.

Mobinvans

Reaction score
The year you dont have a 1st round pick is when you sign a good FA...

Thats football GMing 101

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They should be trading down. If you’re not going to be active in free agency, you need the draft picks to fill out your roster. Losing a first round pick is essentially losing more than half your draft value, picking up some additional pieces will serve better than whoever that second round pick would have been.
They did this crap in 2009.....it bit them hard.

cern

Reaction score
not likely we'll know until draft day. we don't have a lot of picks. hope they're used judiciously.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I hope it's not for Jaylon Ferguson.

I do not see what people see in him. He's a 4th/5th round, rotational player to me. Please no.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Trading up was the difference between DeMarcus Lawrence and Kony Elay. It was also the difference between Mo Claiborne and Brockers and Wagner

Not trading up was also the difference between Max Unger and Jason Williams( I had to look him up)

Im not against moving on the player you want. But you need to be very certain about what you are getting

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I haven't been following the draft at all, but isn't there a stud DT they were high on a while back.
If that's the case I give a later round pick to move up a few spots. It's one thing if you're building, it's another if a guy can come right in (DT) a fill a huge hole and impact the whole defense.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can turn that 2 into an3 and a 4 and maybe even a 5 with it. That would greatly increase your chance of bringing in good players.

No, people have analyzed probabilities of draft success and iirc the 2nd round provided the best probability for the value.

I saw an analysis that used trade chart values as a reference to equate picks.

Example:
#26 value = #54 + # 55 value (approximately)

The probability was better with the two 2nd round picks than the one first round pick.

However the same was not true when equating two 3rd round picks to a 2nd round pick.