Are the Cowboys considering trading up in the second round?

cowboyec

Reaction score
hope its for DE Jaylon Ferguson,La Tech....or a DT...maybe Dre'Mont Jones,Ohio St.
Ferguson with DLaw would be tremendous...especially if Gregory were to return or Taco wakes up.

Sydla

Reaction score
It all depends on where you think this team is as a competitor.

And if you think we still aren't going to sign any outside players. I would bet we still make a couple moves. And I do think a couple impact draft picks could make a big difference.

We will get Frederick back on the OL. Depth there is good. I like our WR corps...I think Austin and a combo of some of the other receivers can make up for Beasley. On defense, we do need some starting quality players on the DL. As you know, even high first round picks don't always make an impact there, at least not immediately.

I do think that the team is at the point where they should be focusing on quality, not quantity. I am disappointed that they haven't targeted at least one impact free agent from the outside.

The team has clear holes. It makes no sense that you would sit out FA under the mantra that you build through the draft then turn around and trade a couple of the few picks you have in this draft to move up.

It's bizarre thinking.

But as someone noted, it's probably unlikely we trade up anyway.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I could see them moving up a few picks if someone falls, but can't see them giving up their entire draft to move towards thr top.
Even that approach is flawed. The draft does bring value into the 4th round in many cases.

So you give up what could be a depth player to move up four-eight spots? Nine times out of ten that player that is falling is doing so for a reason.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I would trade next year's 1st for as high a pick I could get ...... hopefully low 30s

We need a DE/DT and FS and the Draft is loaded at those positions

Get next year's pick a year early..... worked great for ACooper

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

Why do people even read or listen to all these GUESSES these so called insiders make leading up to the draft. Every team does what's called sportsmanship otherwise called leaking or giving out bogus info. Whether they do it by saying things or hinting things or by pre-draft visit. They do this so the other 31 teams don't know for sure what their true intentions are and these so called insiders gobble it up and report like they have some hot news.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Why do people even read or listen to all these GUESSES these so called insiders make leading up to the draft. Every team does what's called sportsmanship otherwise called leaking or giving out bogus info. Whether they do it by saying things or hinting things or by pre-draft visit. They do this so the other 31 teams don't know for sure what their true intentions are and these so called insiders gobble it up and report like they have some hot news.
In that same respect, Dallas is not like most teams. Often, they telegraph who they are taking via the visits. It is rare they have a first rounder not even take an official visit.

The last time that happened was Claiborne.

The Cowboys' philosophy of "gamesmanship" and "smoke screens" is highly overrated. Nobody in our upper leadership is a very good poker player.

dwreck27

Reaction score
What would it take to move up to the early 2nd?

Our 2nd (obviously)

And a 4th and 6th? Would that do the trick?

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
how do some people complain so much before anything even happens?
does it get exhausting to whine on the internet so frequently?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I would trade next year's 1st for as high a pick I could get ...... hopefully low 30s

We need a DE/DT and FS and the Draft is loaded at those positions

Get next year's pick a year early..... worked great for ACooper

First if the draft is loaded with those positions why give up something to get one that would still be there at the Cowboys pick. Second, comparing a player, Cooper, who already proved he can play in the NFL with someone who's not even had a single snap in the NFL as justification for giving up a draft pick for the player is a foolish comparison.

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
They should be trading down. If you’re not going to be active in free agency, you need the draft picks to fill out your roster. Losing a first round pick is essentially losing more than half your draft value, picking up some additional pieces will serve better than whoever that second round pick would have been.

Nope! I still have nightmares about the 2009 draft.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They should be trading down. If you’re not going to be active in free agency, you need the draft picks to fill out your roster. Losing a first round pick is essentially losing more than half your draft value, picking up some additional pieces will serve better than whoever that second round pick would have been.
Odds of getting impact players is already reduced without a pick until late 2nd round, so I don’t see how postpoingbour 1stnpick until 3rd round helps that

JayFord

Reaction score
Why spend in the draft when you coulda spent in free agency

To move up in the draft probably will cost draft position next season

I’d hate to go 8-8 and draft 29th overall when our original pick would be between 13-16

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
Their approach to free agency (cheap) and the premise of this article (if true) may very well be signs that the Cowboys believe they're going to have to spend a great deal of their cap to re-sign the guys they want that are already on the roster. Giving up draft assets to acquire a player they want doesn't count against their cap.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
First if the draft is loaded with those positions why give up something to get one that would still be there at the Cowboys pick. Second, comparing a player, Cooper, who already proved he can play in the NFL with someone who's not even had a single snap in the NFL as justification for giving up a draft pick for the player is a foolish comparison.
I want 2 good players ....not just one... the value is in 25-40

Next year's pick will be in the 30s so if I can a get a low 2nd this year I would take it in a heartbeat

Did you just say giving up a pick in the draft for someone in the draft is foolish.... that is some circular logic at its best

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

Yup, the lower the better, stockpile on as many 7th rounders as possible!

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score

they are looking for something to whine about before anything happens.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
In that same respect, Dallas is not like most teams. Often, they telegraph who they are taking via the visits. It is rare they have a first rounder not even take an official visit.

The last time that happened was Claiborne.

The Cowboys' philosophy of "gamesmanship" and "smoke screens" is highly overrated. Nobody in our upper leadership is a very good poker player.

Gee it never dawned on you that the Cowboys knowing they have no 1st rnd pick visits with a potential 1st rounder just to do what I said? I'll give you a perfect example of how the Cowboys pulled off what I said. They visited Shawn Merriman and leaked out that he was their guy but come draft day they actually selected DeMarcus Ware. After the draft the Cowboys finally said Ware was their guy from the getgo.