Are the Cowboys just a better defense away from being contenders?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Offense was amazing..

I wish that amazing offense would’ve shown up against the Rams or Giants with Dak instead of showing up against 3 terrible pass defenses that had our team down by multiple scores before they decided to just be uh mazing.

Rams, you mean the #1 defense in the NFL? Tough defense to play first game of the year. Dalton would have been shut out.

I dont hear you complaining about Dalton. My god, the red rifle could barely average 21 points a game against scrub teams.

Cowboys were up 14-7 in the first quarter against the Browns and we lost 50-41 bozo.

Everything you say is either wrong or a lie.

Sorry bozo, you cant keep up.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Oh it does?

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/max-qb-sb-ring-facts-data-ryan-mccumber

Of the last 15 Super Bowl winners the average winning quarterback salary was 8 percent of their team’s overall cap. Conversely the average of the top five quarterback salaries averaged 15 percent of the team’s cap of the same year. Three times in those fifteen years did the winning QBs salary rank amongst the top 5 and one-third of the winning QBs were on their rookie contract. Average Super Bowl winning QB’s salary applied to the cap for this period was $10.9 million. The top five QBs salary applied to cap was $18.8 million compared to the average top 5 running back’s salary applied was $8.2 million, and the top 5 wide receiver salary applied was $12.1 million.
Again your confusing winning championships with contending for championships .

And using a stat in this brief period of time to support your spin. Typical troll rhetoric.

Let me guess, you’re suggesting all NFL teams not sign their Elite and or Franchise QB’s for a second contract unless it’s a bargain ? Lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
th

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Rams, you mean the #1 defense in the NFL? Tough defense to play first game of the year. Dalton would have been shut out.

I dont hear you complaining about Dalton. My god, the red rifle could barely average 21 points a game against scrub teams.

Cowboys were up 14-7 in the first quarter against the Browns and we lost 50-41 bozo.

The Browns got up big on us and Dallas offense sputtered nicely while they did it.

You always try to leave out some key detail or you just simply aren’t aware of it which is probably the reality.

Dalton got hurt and we had to play some games without him. Had he not missed a game we probably make the playoffs.. Instead we missed the playoffs like we did the season before when Dak had his great performance against Philadelphia.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Again your confusing winning championships with contending for championships .

And using a stat in this brief period of time to support your spin. Typical troll rhetoric.

Let me guess, you’re suggesting all NFL teams not sign their Elite and or Franchise QB’s for a second contract unless it’s a bargain ? Lol

No I’m for signing elite QBs.. I’ve made that very clear.

I just wouldn’t sign the Dak’s like they are elite players. That’s just silly.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This troll is suggesting all NFL teams not resign their Elite and Franchise QB’s cause Brady is only one in last 15 years to win multiple Super Bowls since extending their Rookie contract. Lol

HungryLion

Reaction score
Cowboys offense averaged 15 points in the first half, during the games that Dak played in 2020.

obviously averaging 15 points per half would equal out to 30 points per game.

either way. 15 points in the first half isn’t really “starting slow”

it shows the absolutely unrealistic expectations that some fans have for how many points you can expect the offense to score. Especially when the defense is forcing almost no turnovers at that time.

It’s also hard for the offense to score points, when the opposing team is running all over your defense, controlling the clock and keeping the ball away from your offense.

now the offense did have too many turnovers. Of course, that was uncharacteristic for how Dak usually performs and part of that is due to the offense playing very aggressive because they were watching the defense her boat raced up and down the field.

The offense is likely going to be top 5 again. Anyone who is expecting perfection, just isn’t being realistic.

the issue is the defense. It’s clear as day to anyone that knows football.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No I’m for signing elite QBs.. I’ve made that very clear.

I just wouldn’t sign the Dak’s like they are elite players. That’s just silly.
Your little link you provided to support your troll like narrative didn’t distinguish that .

Yea, let’s start releasing all of our Elite and or Franchise QB’s. Lol

Any idea why most NFL teams aren’t following your ridiculous narrative?

Or is it just Dak you wouldn’t resign? Busted troll !!

Sully

Reaction score
We had a top offense last year with Dak and have secured our franchise QB and multiple weapons with a proven OL if it can stay healthy .

But what must improve is a defense which was statistically one of the worst in our franchise’s history

How much better does our defense need to be for this team to become more of a contender ? Will average be enough assuming our offense is top 5? Your thoughts !!

How about an OL that can stay on the field? RB that doesn't fumble. Jarwin that can stay healthy. Cooper that doesn't disappear in clutch moments. And let's hope Prescott can have the confidence in his leg that has now healed.
BTW, the defense was mentioned right

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Cowboys offense averaged 15 points in the first half, during the games that Dak played in 2020.

obviously averaging 15 points per half would equal out to 30 points per game.

either way. 15 points in the first half isn’t really “starting slow”

it shows the absolutely unrealistic expectations that some fans have for how many points you can expect the offense to score. Especially when the defense is forcing almost no turnovers at that time.

It’s also hard for the offense to score points, when the opposing team is running all over your defense, controlling the clock and keeping the ball away from your offense.

now the offense did have too many turnovers. Of course, that was uncharacteristic for how Dak usually performs and part of that is due to the offense playing very aggressive because they were watching the defense her boat raced up and down the field.

The offense is likely going to be top 5 again. Anyone who is expecting perfection, just isn’t being realistic.

the issue is the defense. It’s clear as day to anyone that knows football.

The offense has slow start problems.. They’ve gone like 20 something games without scoring first.

Defense is a problem but the offense is a slow starting bunch.

I also have no faith in our offense against decent competition like the Rams.

HungryLion

Reaction score
The offense has slow start problems.. They’ve gone like 20 something games without scoring first.

Defense is a problem but the offense is a slow starting bunch.

I also have no faith in our offense against decent competition like the Rams.

Slightly slow starts isn’t an issue when your offense is top 5 and averaging a lot of points.

it’s just bull crap nitpicking.

that’s all it is.

“the offense isn’t perfect and doesn’t score every possession”.

It’s a stupid narrative or place to assign fault when you are fielding one of the worst defenses in team history.

Most offenses struggle against the Rams defense. That’s why it’s the #1 defense in the league.

Anyway I think the point is. The offense is more than good enough to be competitive. When healthy they are literally top 5, even top 3 in the entire league.

Even the best offenses have bad games here and there too.

the defense is what needs improvement overall.

Last edited:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Slightly slow starts isn’t an issue when your offense is top 5 and averaging a lot of points.

it’s just bull crap nitpicking.

that’s all it is.

“the offense isn’t perfect and doesn’t score every possession”.

It’s a stupid narrative or place to assign fault when you are fielding one of the worst defenses in team history.

Most offenses struggle against the Rams defense. That’s why it’s the #1 defense in the league.

It’s not only that.. The offenses disappears and gets behind against teams that don’t suck.

They make a living on bad teams since after 2016.

They don’t go out and take things like they did that year. Unless of course we’re playing a trash Giants team or something then we’ll score 5 TDs and 500 yards offense and pad some stats.

HungryLion

Reaction score
It’s not only that.. The offenses disappears and gets behind against teams that don’t suck.

They make a living on bad teams since after 2016.

They don’t go out and take things like they did that year. Unless of course we’re playing a trash Giants team or something then we’ll score 5 TDs and 500 yards offense and pad some stats.

Dude I’m not going to buy into your lame repetitive argument. You’re arguing things that show a lack of football knowledge. Like you expect the offense to go out and put up 30+ points every game even against good teams and good defenses. It’s just not realistic.

But by all means keep striving for a perfect offense and let’s not worry about one of the worst defenses in team history. Yeah. We will just build a perfect offense that scores every possession.... that’s the key to winning championships in the NFL.........

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The Cowboys are a competent front office away from contention. Unfortunately, they've had the same FO for 25 years and they haven't contended for anything.

But THIS year they'll get it right. :rolleyes:

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
The Cowboys are a competent front office away from contention. Unfortunately, they've had the same FO for 25 years and they haven't contended for anything.

But THIS year they'll get it right. :rolleyes:
Yep

DandyDon52

Reaction score
You continue to confuse winning a championship as some kind of ultimate measurement these QB’s after their Rookie contract aren’t still winning and contending for championships.

This attempt to spin paying your QB prevents a team from contending for championship is a Troll like behavior using a stat to promote such bull crap.

Theres a reason teams sign their QB to extended contracts because it provides them their best opportunity to continue contending.
lol how long did brady "contend" at Tampa ???? 0 years, he just went straight to SB.
The ravens won a SB paid flacco, and havent been back since, and flacco faded away, so did that team.
I think it is very rare that a team pays a qb huge contract, and then wins a SB soon after that.

Contending is cool and all, but GB has contended since 2011 now and never got back to a SB
NO contended last 2 years, but couldnt win the big games in playoffs.

And that is good, better than not contending, but only a few teams each year are really contenders.
Last year it was GB, NO, and TB, those were the real contenders, the rest were just sub contenders, who are not really contenders.

A team needs to have the right coaching staff, and last year TB had the best staff. Bowles was very good as DC and the OC forget his name,
but he was pretty good too. I think at mid season they became more brady friendly and catered to what he does best. They then won 8 in a row,
and then same thing in playoffs.

I think TB has a good chance to repeat in 21, Brady will help keep the team focused on not thinking they can just show up and win.

jnday

Reaction score
I do think that the Cowboys and Washington have a chance this season. Do you really believe that the Cowboys haven't improved with the players returning from injury and around 18 new players?
At this point, nobody knows. Rookies, especially rookies on defense, usually have very little impact. The FA signings are far from being top tier players and it is entirely possible that some of them will not make the final roster. Others are coming back from injuries and they may not return to form. After these last few years of FA signings, I think that Dallas gets less help out of FA than any other team in the league. Stephen is incredibly cheap when it comes to FA signings. The players returning from injury, excluding Dak, are getting to the point where injuries are a yearly thing. Tyron is a good example. Dak’s return may not have the impact expected. Fans seems to forget that Dallas was really bad and was losing games while Dak was starting. Hiring Quinn as the DC is the biggest question on the defense. Atlanta sure hasn’t looked good on defense.

jnday

Reaction score
The Cowboys are just a healthy Dak away from being contenders. They could have made no changes to the defense and just getting Dak back would win this division.
They was really stacking the wins up when he was healthy last season.

jnday

Reaction score
That was one of the arguments for having to pay Dak.. He’s just a winner.

Guy has won nothing and he’s just a winner.
It’s amazing how how his accomplishments have grown to legendary status with some fans. He doesn’t have the legendary accomplishments of a $40 million a year QB, or even a $20 million a year QB. Maybe it’s those personal stats that hasn’t translated to wins that impresses so many people.

jnday

Reaction score

Dalton put together some wins last season which was more than Dak could do.