Are the Cowboys tanking on purpose?

Saltycowboy

Reaction score
Well I asked an ESPN insider who is a member of my club and he emphatically said NO! He said Jerry thinks he can fill the holes with the draft and some lower level free agents. I also asked him if Dak was being shopped around and he said he has not heard anything that would support his.

Nothing earth shattering but thought I would share.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Well if your ESPN insider is correct, then my opinion of Jerry has just turned further south than it was to begin with.
I'd love to be able to make some kind of sense out of Jerry's craziness this off season, but chances of that are looking increasingly unlikely. Jerry's "all in" statement was such utter nonsense it's pathetic.
So if he's not "all in", and if he's not tanking, then what in H-E double hockey sticks is he doing?

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
Well if your ESPN insider is correct, then my opinion of Jerry has just turned further south than it was to begin with.
I'd love to be able to make some kind of sense out of Jerry's craziness this off season, but chances of that are looking increasingly unlikely. Jerry's "all in" statement was such utter nonsense it's pathetic.
So if he's not "all in", and if he's not tanking, then what in HE double hockey sticks is he doing?
Easy. We have no salary cap room. Any move we made would further hurt our chances of winning in the future.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Let's all hope last year's draft wasn't an absolute 0 worth for even backups. This year if they don't absolutely nail it, that is a death knell for them and a rebuild upcoming.

Reaction score
Well I asked an ESPN insider who is a member of my club and he emphatically said NO! He said Jerry thinks he can fill the holes with the draft and some lower level free agents. I also asked him if Dak was being shopped around and he said he has not heard anything that would support his.

"Jerry thinks he can fill the holes with the draft and some lower level free agents"

lol, surely that can't be! Our owner doesn't rely on the draft and shop the bargain bin throwaway FAs,,,, he'd never do that.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Easy. We have no salary cap room. Any move we made would further hurt our chances of winning in the future.
Well since Dak is the cap's biggest offender, maybe Dak could play QB and LT both to help earn his keep. Give him a chance to prove his elite value. :laugh:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is beyond clear at this point that without major help from a strong HOF type head coach at his side, Jerry Jones is literally incapable of putting together a nucleus of players that can win in the playoffs. Even more true in the modern cap era. Tank on purpose? I’m not sure the Jones boys would even know how to do that right.

Jerry has hired some decent help. Will McClay is an outstanding scout of talent. But he doesn’t draft the players and he doesn’t develop a roster building strategy. Jerry and Stephen Jones are the be all-end all architects of what this team does every year. Without accountability for failure or the oversight of an owner who puts winning championship first and foremost. That says it all. They not only don’t know how to build a championship roster, they aren’t that driven to do it anyway.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Well since Dak is the cap's biggest offender, maybe Dak could play QB and LT both to help earn his keep. Give him a chance to prove his elite value. :laugh:
Well that is impossible, but he could play special teams, and NT on defense lol
That way they get 3 players for the 60 mil.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
"Jerry thinks he can fill the holes with the draft and some lower level free agents"

lol, surely that can't be! Our owner doesn't rely on the draft and shop the bargain bin throwaway FAs,,,, he'd never do that.
Jerry has a special arrangement with Home Depot. He can get all the jags he needs cheap.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
They aren't fully tanking, but best believe this is a prove it year for Dak for sure, and McCarthy to a lesser extent.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score

We have been trying this same theme since B. Carr and it’s still not working.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Let's all hope last year's draft wasn't an absolute 0 worth for even backups. This year if they don't absolutely nail it, that is a death knell for them and a rebuild upcoming.
Last years draft was an F after the first year. We better hope it moves up to at least a C- this upcoming season.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Don't ever believe any "insider" on what they say Jerry is gonna do.... cuz even Jerry himself has no idea or clue what he is doing. He is absolutely frozen in fear with any action he may take that would commit him long term with any of his players, heck even coaches. Not making a decision is making a decision. And how does one semi-tank.? You either all in or you're not. Anyway, this is becoming a lost year fast and depending on the draft to replace all your lost starters is in a way, tanking.

So everyone get your scuba gear and your flippers and ready to go in, all in, deep sea scuba diving.