Are the Cowboys tanking on purpose?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
There's no way that the Cowboys can get the help they need to be legit SB contenders without being proactive in the veteran free agency. Will McClay can only do so much in the draft but unfortunately, he's helpless to make it possible for the Cowboys to keep up with other teams. Jerry and Stephen like to make noise like they "going all-in" but sadly, that's just a farce that they attempt to create to justify their failures to do enough to be truly competitive for deep plunges into the playoffs. In the end, the facts are obvious that they don't really want Super Bowl contention enough to do what it takes to get there. They're perfectly content to win in the regular season, without any further winnings beyond that. In fact, they might find it quite difficult to equal the success they've seen during the regular season in the past. Their fans will likely have to be content with being entertained and nothing more.

Last edited:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
There's no way that the Cowboys can get the help they need to be legit SB contenders without being proactive in the veteran free agency. Will McClay can only do so much in the draft but unfortunately, he's helpless to make it possible for the Cowboys to keep up with other teams. Jerry and Stephen like to make noise like they "going all-in" but sadly, that's just a farce they create to justify their failures to do enough to be truly competitive for deep plunges into the playoffs.
Yep, but free agency is used for the last pieces in the jigsaw.

First there has to be an internal assessment and acceptance that you cant afford to continually 'add /restructure CAP' indefinitely. Paying ALL our stars is what's killing the depth and bottom end of the roster. ALL-IN isnt an option when you're paying your weekly bills on the Restructure Credit Card, especially when the number of positions to fill

As for the OP, I wouldnt say we're tanking, just being realistic. If the GB game (and subsequent Lions play-off game) had gone differently, i'm sure Dak would already have been extended and we'd of been in FA identifying how to improve (.....probably on the weaknesses following the Championship game loss to SF).

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I am looking forward to the draft to hear Jerry’s new catchphrase. :facepalm: We all bit on “All in”before free agency. I am interested in what he says after the draft.:thumbdown:

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Well I asked an ESPN insider who is a member of my club and he emphatically said NO! He said Jerry thinks he can fill the holes with the draft and some lower level free agents. I also asked him if Dak was being shopped around and he said he has not heard anything that would support his.

Nothing earth shattering but thought I would share.
The Raiders need a QB.

8)

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Yep, but free agency is used for the last pieces in the jigsaw.

First there has to be an internal assessment and acceptance that you cant afford to continually 'add /restructure CAP' indefinitely. Paying ALL our stars is what's killing the depth and bottom end of the roster. ALL-IN isnt an option when you're paying your weekly bills on the Restructure Credit Card, especially when the number of positions to fill

As for the OP, I wouldnt say we're tanking, just being realistic. If the GB game (and subsequent Lions play-off game) had gone differently, i'm sure Dak would already have been extended and we'd of been in FA identifying how to improve (.....probably on the weaknesses following the Championship game loss to SF).
First of all, I never mentioned "tanking" as being the object of what the FO is doing this year. What I'm expecting is for this team to go as far as they can without actually making the concessions necessary for true playoff contention. It seems to me that they're preparing for a season to come in the near future where McCarthy will likely be released, and the process of "retooling" will eventually come clearly into the picture.

Whether Dak might be traded or retained will likely be determined by how he proceeds with his play in the season that lies ahead. In the meantime, Trey Lance figures to be utilized to determine his potential future with the team.

Last edited:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
First of all, I never mentioned "tanking" as being the object of what the FO is doing this year. What I'm expecting is for this team to go as far as they can without actually making the concessions necessary for true playoff contention. It seems to me that they're preparing for a season to come in the near future where McCarthy will likely be released, and the process of "retooling" will eventually come clearly into the picture.
First of all, I never said you mentioned tanking, i clearly referred the Opening Post's mentioning tanking.
There's no way that the Cowboys can get the help they need to be legit SB contenders without being proactive in the veteran free agency.
My post actually agreed with your point. We're not competing in 2024 and if we're not competing, then you dont go into free agency as your first port of call for tallent (as it's overpriced). Fine if he's a bargain/or player you really like that you can got now, for a reasonable price, that will still be around for when we are in a position to compete.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Not all of us fell for it. I called him out as a liar as soon as it was reported because I know how he thinks.
Yep, Jerry momentarily 'forgot' the GB debacle. Im sure the plan, the morning of the GB game was to build on the 12 game winning seasons and then ALL-IN in 2024. A couple of hours later, that plan was binned. Fan's just have better memories and cognitive recall than the Jerry the octogenarian.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
First of all, I never said you mentioned tanking, i clearly referred the Opening Post's mentioning tanking.

My post actually agreed with your point. We're not competing in 2024 and if we're not competing, then you dont go into free agency as your first port of call for tallent (as it's overpriced). Fine if he's a bargain/or player you really like that you can got now, for a reasonable price, that will still be around for when we are in a position to compete.
I would agree that we won't go into free agency, especially so, since we haven't done so in the past. That's not something that I expect to change. The Cowboys FO seems determined to use the coming year to test what they have for future reference. Lance will be used in TC to see if he's capable to lead this team at some point to be determined.

I understand what you're saying, although, you responded to my post before I had a chance to finish my thoughts. I think you felt my intention was to insist upon free agency being used when that wasn't my intent. Just an honest misunderstanding. I think the FO is setting up the stage for the future for a "retooling" to take place. We're cool -- no problem.

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score
Well I asked an ESPN insider who is a member of my club and he emphatically said NO! He said Jerry thinks he can fill the holes with the draft and some lower level free agents. I also asked him if Dak was being shopped around and he said he has not heard anything that would support his.

I would agree with him 100%. Because he probably sees the same thing many of us do. This offseason is no different from the past 10 years. The front office isn't doing anything differently. They fill holes through the draft and lower level FA every year.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I am looking forward to the draft to hear Jerry’s new catchphrase. :facepalm: We all bit on “All in”before free agency. I am interested in what he says after the draft.:thumbdown:
Same things he always says. He is like Garrett with it….uses same few cliches repeatedly….

I won’t type it phonetically so no one becomes offended, although I desperately want to…but here’s what you’ll hear….

“We had a much higher grade on (insert player name) than where we got him.”

“We feel like we got real value there”

“We had several opportunities to move down, but we didn’t want to chance losing (insert name).”

In the end he will boast over each player having a higher grade than where they got them, without a thought to the idea that the board could be off.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Making any kind of sense what Jerry and son are going to do, is an effort in lunacy. If you look back at everything they have said over the last two months, you get absolutely nothing that leads anyone to believe who they are targeting in the draft as well as if they are going to extend Dak (Lamb or Parsons also for that matter), or let Dak play out his last year or trade Dak to a team like Minnesota or Las Vegas. It is nothing but a crap shoot at best.

We know Jerry is a business man, and a damn good one or else the Cowboys wouldn't be the richest franchise in all of sports nor the most talked about. The media lives off the Cowboys literally every single day because no news on the Cowboys is even news. So from just a business point of view, definitely not a football point of view, it makes literally no sense for Dallas to let Dak to play out the year on his contract and get only a 3rd round choice in 2026. Regardless of what fans think about Dak, the NFL and GMs and Coaches see him as a top ten QB so you aren't going to let him go for a 3rd two years down the line from a business point.

So that really leaves just two options, extend him at most likely the top of the market price or trade him draft day to a team that is willing to give you close if not more than you want. And we know that Dak has to agree to that trade or it is a no go and there lies the biggest problem because the trade would only happen if there is a contract in place for Dak (extension). So anyone's guess is just that, a guess.

The only difference I see in the Dak situation than the last time we sign him to a big contract was that his agent let it be known what Dak would sign a new contract for in terms, and this time we haven't heard anything from his agent and really nothing from Dak other than it will get done on a new contract. Don't remember him saying a new contract with Dallas, just a new contract. So the tea leaves are still murky. The only thing that would tell us something, is if any of us really knew what they think of Trey Lance, then pieces could come together rather quickly.

So 10 more days to see what is going on with Dak, but for me, if Dak is still on the Dallas roster after the 1st day of the draft then I believe that they are going to extend him, like it or not. It just makes business sense not necessarily football sense.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't ever believe any "insider" on what they say Jerry is gonna do.... cuz even Jerry himself has no idea or clue what he is doing. He is absolutely frozen in fear with any action he may take that would commit him long term with any of his players, heck even coaches. Not making a decision is making a decision. And how does one semi-tank.? You either all in or you're not. Anyway, this is becoming a lost year fast and depending on the draft to replace all your lost starters is in a way, tanking.

So everyone get your scuba gear and your flippers and ready to go in, all in, deep sea scuba diving.
Not making a decision is making a decision.”……Very well said TC. Every time this front office hesitates and kicks a can down the road it bites them hard in the backside.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Same things he always says. He is like Garrett with it….uses same few cliches repeatedly….

I won’t type it phonetically so no one becomes offended, although I desperately want to…but here’s what you’ll hear….

“We had a much higher grade on (insert player name) than where we got him.”

“We feel like we got real value there”

“We had several opportunities to move down, but we didn’t want to chance losing (insert name).”

In the end he will boast over each player having a higher grade than where they got them, without a thought to the idea that the board could be off.
Then the local media and ESPN will get upset because the Cowboys didn’t draft their recommendations. Our fans will hoop and holler. CeeDee and Dak will get extended. Then the season will start.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
He is absolutely frozen in fear with any action he may take that would commit him long term with any of his players, heck even coaches. Not making a decision is making a decision.
Fear is exactly it, but I'd go to add the 'fear' to make a trade just in case it doesn't work out and his reputation as a football genius is questioned.
Every team are acknowledging they can't just extend every one of their positional top earners. Could you ever see him trading Micah or CeeDee (not that I'm advocating).

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Easy. We have no salary cap room. Any move we made would further hurt our chances of winning in the future.
loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool basically we'll never have success lol, we're too worried about the future

dckid

Reaction score

Why is any of this a surprise? What has Jerry done in terms of shaking up this team to try and win over the past 30 years?
-Signed Deion- 95
-Traded for Galloway & Roy Williams
-Signed TO when Parcells wasn't a big fan

When is the last time Jerry has tried to go all in? 2007 might have been the last year.
For my money that was the best team since 1992-1995.

Bill Wash once famously said, there are only 5-6 teams that are trying to win the SB every year. Thats who you are competing with.
Jerry is happy to be average to good. He does not want to bottom out and go 3-14 as all of his past failures will come up. He has a reputation of being a good drafter, paying his guys while spending in the bottom third of the league and making the most revenue and PROFIT of all NFL teams.

He has 3 Super Bowls, he is HOF inductee, he won against Jimmy Johnson. His ending the Jimmy era was the dumbest move in sports history but so much time has passed that the media has forgiven and forgotten I remember every sports anchor used to make jokes about Jerry being the president and GM now its just understood.