CFZ Are the Cowboys totally focused on building a championship team?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Our owner has made some very candid public outburst in recent weeks which has supported my opinions this era on his priorities.

This is what I’ve always appreciated about our dysfunctional ownership and front office. In order to appeal to fans criticism and the hounding from media he often displays his honest feelings.

In the past he’s said he’d doing everything within his power to win and no one wants to win more than him but he’s unwilling to make any changes at the top even after admitting he’d of fired a GM with his record this era. Basically this means he only wants to win his way.

He’s also stated that remaining interesting and relative is the most important factor in order to maintain the record revenue hyping and promoting our iconic brand.

More recently he’s stated that going All In isn’t worth the risk as it could lead to lean years needing more of an overall rebuild.

The reason I bring this up is I think it’s time we adjust our expectations here. If our owner isn’t willing to make the decisions and moves to build more than an entertainment entity which simply maintains interest and relativity why are we beating our heads trying to figure out how to build a championship team or critiquing them for not building more than they have.

I’m not sure that’s a core priority anymore. Sure, if we stumbled onto another Super Bowl they’d be ecstatic and more than happy to take credit.

I think they are content with this level of success as it continues driving their record revenue enabling the celebrity status he’s pursued. At age 80 he still seems determined to stay the course of status quo regardless whether he’s delegated some responsibility or not.

He’s still intent on being the face of the franchise and where the buck stops . And the meddling with coaching decisions and players contracts persist which all too often influence the atmosphere , culture and potentially the strategic football mentality.

Until we can move on from these unfortunate priorities and distractions it’s very difficult for me to take this football franchise very serious. It’s become more of a sports entertainment venture which I believe is the core intention in order to prevent more serious pressure from the fans and media. Any success beyond that is purely coincidental or sheer chance.

rciAAJU.jpg

shabazz

Reaction score
“More recently he’s stated that going All In isn’t worth the risk as it could lead to lean years needing more of an overall rebuild”

this one statement you referenced in your post speaks volumes….Niners and Eagles sensed blood in the water when they realized that Rodgers and Brady weren’t gonna be a factor this season and they both went all in while our BIG signings were “15 plays a game Hankins“ and TY Hilton off the couch

superonyx

Reaction score
The answer so many here don't want to accept is Yes. Jerry would do anything and give anything to win it all.
As long as he gets credit and validation externally and internally for winning.

He is about to die and would cash in so much of his fortune to relieve that weight from his mind. The question of him vs Jimmy.

Now here comes the angry people who refuse to empathize with a billionaire and will bash him for making money and pretend its all here cares about.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
If your not all in, you are not trying hard enough and likely to reside on the outside looking in.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The answer so many here don't want to accept is Yes. Jerry would do anything and give anything to win it all.

He is about to die and would cash in so much of his fortune to relieve that weight from his mind. The question of him vs Jimmy.

Now here comes the angry people who refuse to empathize with a billionaire and will bash him for making money and pretend it’s all here cares about.
I agree. As I state he wants to win badly. But only his way. And not enough to get out of the way. And why he parted ways with Jimmy. Winning wasn’t enough unless he received the credit he was pursuing.

But the revenue provides him the opportunity to continue his ways without more success on the field. If the revenue was effected greatly by lack of success on the field he might have to reevaluate his involvement. Unfortunately the fans have never forced the issue .

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Maybe we define what going "all in" means. IMO the Eagles didn't go all in. The Rams and Giants a few years ago did but not the Eagles.

kskboys

Reaction score
As long as Jerry is GM, the Cowboys cannot possibly be focused on building a championship team. Championship teams don't draft the Kelvin Josephs of the league. They don't horribly misevaluate the #2 CBs of the league such as Brandon Carr. They don't make kneejerk trades for players such as Cooper. They make wise trades and often end up w/ extra picks in the top 3 rounds. They don't play players grossly out of position and don't insist on coaches that are not getting it done.

Jerry does not want to win. That is a lie perpetrated by those who don't comprehend what Jerry is, an ego driven monster who doesn't give a crapp about anything outside of his own self aggrandizement.

kskboys

Reaction score
Maybe we define what going "all in" means. IMO the Eagles didn't go all in. The Rams and Giants a few years ago did but not the Eagles.
That's how obtuse Jerry is. The Eagles are well set up to replace parts w/ extra picks in the top 2 rounds in the next draft, along w/ some nice young players already developing on the roster.

Jerry tried to replace Center Gurode w/ a UFA. The Eagles already used a 2nd round pick at this ultra important position to be ready when Kelce retires. That's how you build a championship roster.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Now here comes the angry people who refuse to empathize with a billionaire and will bash him for making money and pretend its all here cares about.
Hate to say it, but by definition the statement, “Jerry would do anything and give anything to win” is not true.

Because we all know he will NOT let someone else be in charge of the front office. So he will NOT do anything to win. Sure he wants to win, but not badly enough to make the changes needed to win..

lukin2006

Reaction score
No. The Jones boys only care about $$$…winning is no a priority…

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Booger wants to win, the problem is he doesn't need to win. 30 other GM's need to win or find another job.

In order to change a behavior, that person has to buy in that they need it, not want it.

The Cowboys are giving him everything he needs now, wanting another ring is not enough motivation to do what is necessary to bring that about.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. As I state he wants to win badly. But only his way. And not enough to get out of the way. And why he parted ways with Jimmy. Winning wasn’t enough unless he received the credit he was pursuing.

But the revenue provides him the opportunity to continue his ways without more success on the field. If the revenue was effected greatly by lack of success on the field he might have to reevaluate his involvement. Unfortunately the fans have never forced the issue .
So I wonder at times did the fans and media help make Jerry the way he is. Did the success of Jimmy and the 2 SB's, then Switzer with the 3rd SB create the way Jerry is.
Here is what I mean.

Jimmy built a great team as we know. With the help of the Walker ad Walsh trades. Which there is a debate as to who orchestrated that Walker trade. Jimmy said he did, Jerry said it was his idea.
Anyway they, together go and win 2 SB's. As Jerry had no issue getting players Jimmy wanted or needed, just as the trade for Haley. Also, who's idea was that.

Then the rift, Jimmy wanted to leave, and pushed Jerry's buttons. But I do believe if not for that unfortunate incident, Jimmy would have been here a few years longer. Bad timing for Jerry to walk into that table. So Jerry makes his comment, and in comes Switzer. They get screwed in the 3rd straight NFCCG, then win the SB the following year.
Jerry, in his world, won without Jimmy.

However,
The fans and media, and even some players comments, basically said, it was still Jimmy's team, and was so good they didn't need a HC, as supposedly Switzer was just in cruise control. I believe Aikman made similar comments after Barry was gone. Jerry probably did not like that.

So by Jerry hearing this for a long time, decided he was going to do it his way, and get credit. The thing is it has been 28 years, so even if they win, no one is going to say it was all Jerry, no one will care.
It is like holding a 28 year grudge of some kid bigger tripping one while in 2nd grade. Who cares at this point who gets the credit, it has been way too long of the same mess.

Though I still say it is more like 15 to 20 years, but 10 wasted with Garrett. As when the team was no longer, fans must realize you just can't simply replace the triplets, and still be competitive. There was a rebuild time involved.

kskboys

Reaction score
Hate to say it, but by definition the statement, “Jerry would do anything and give anything to win” is not true.

Because we all know he will NOT let someone else be in charge of the front office. So he will NOT do anything to win. Sure he wants to win, but not badly enough to make the changes needed to win..
At this point, the obvious conclusion is that it's not about winning for Jerry, it's only about proving himself. If winning happens to happen along the way, so be it.

kskboys

Reaction score
So I wonder at times did the fans and media help make Jerry the way he is. Did the success of Jimmy and the 2 SB's, then Switzer with the 3rd SB create the way Jerry is.
Here is what I mean.

Jimmy built a great team as we know. With the help of the Walker ad Walsh trades. Which there is a debate as to who orchestrated that Walker trade. Jimmy said he did, Jerry said it was his idea.
Anyway they, together go and win 2 SB's. As Jerry had no issue getting players Jimmy wanted or needed, just as the trade for Haley. Also, who's idea was that.

Then the rift, Jimmy wanted to leave, and pushed Jerry's buttons. But I do believe if not for that unfortunate incident, Jimmy would have been here a few years longer. Bad timing for Jerry to walk into that table. So Jerry makes his comment, and in comes Switzer. They get screwed in the 3rd straight NFCCG, then win the SB the following year.
Jerry, in his world, won without Jimmy.

However,
The fans and media, and even some players comments, basically said, it was still Jimmy's team, and was so good they didn't need a HC, as supposedly Switzer was just in cruise control. I believe Aikman made similar comments after Barry was gone. Jerry probably did not like that.

So by Jerry hearing this for a long time, decided he was going to do it his way, and get credit. The thing is it has been 28 years, so even if they win, no one is going to say it was all Jerry, no one will care.
It is like holding a 28 year grudge of some kid bigger tripping one while in 2nd grade. Who cares at this point who gets the credit, it has been way too long of the same mess.

Though I still say it is more like 15 to 20 years, but 10 wasted with Garrett. As when the team was no longer, fans must realize you just can't simply replace the triplets, and still be competitive. There was a rebuild time involved.
Jerry refuses to rebuild. That is a major reason why we are so often stuck at 500.