CFZ Are the Cowboys totally focused on building a championship team?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And this is the reason I will debate anyone who claims Jerry is a good owner. Some say Jerry is a good owner because he has built the most valuable sports franchise on the planet. What exactly had that done for the fans? It's done a lot for Jerry and his family. They will reap the benefits for the next hundred years or more. But it hasn't done a damn thing for the fans and never will.

A good owner gets rid of his incompetent GM. Jerry's refusal to do that says it all.
A good owner hires a good GM or he keeps trying until he does. That is his primary job.

Big_D

Reaction score
The first clue is the runaway nepotism. Hell, even the Mara's, Rooney's and Brown's don't employ everybody. The Cowboys are Duck Dynasty of the NFL, only not as pretty.

And have you ever taken a really close look at the grandson they brought into the scouting department, I think that's the one someone nicknamed Spaulding, a true gem of a nickname. Damn scary looking, I wouldn't leave a pet with him.
I’d make that trade right now, the Jones family for the crew from Duck Dynasty and the team would be better off.

Scottishcowboy

Reaction score
And this is the reason I will debate anyone who claims Jerry is a good owner. Some say Jerry is a good owner because he has built the most valuable sports franchise on the planet. What exactly had that done for the fans? It's done a lot for Jerry and his family. They will reap the benefits for the next hundred years or more. But it hasn't done a damn thing for the fans and never will.

A good owner gets rid of his incompetent GM. Jerry's refusal to do that says it all.
Manchester United are the "biggest" club in the world but their winning days are a good few years ago when they were under possibly the greatest manager of all time. They were bought by an old American guy who's family have milked the club for billions, focussed on marketing the brand and is just about to sell them for more profit than he could possibly have imagined.

anyone seeing a similarity here? sadly not the last part!

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Manchester United are the "biggest" club in the world but their winning days are a good few years ago when they were under possibly the greatest manager of all time. They were bought by an old American guy who's family have milked the club for billions, focussed on marketing the brand and is just about to sell them for more profit than he could possibly have imagined.

anyone seeing a similarity here? sadly not the last part!
Biggest or most valuable? Manchester United is #19 on this list...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoz...t-valuable-sports-teams-2022/?sh=38ee19c4385c

IslandCowboy

Reaction score
We are not focused on championships. Jerry is focused on one thing and that is the number in his bank account. He doesn't give a damn a out winning.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Our owner has made some very candid public outburst in recent weeks which has supported my opinions this era on his priorities.

This is what I’ve always appreciated about our dysfunctional ownership and front office. In order to appeal to fans criticism and the hounding from media he often displays his honest feelings.

In the past he’s said he’d doing everything within his power to win and no one wants to win more than him but he’s unwilling to make any changes at the top even after admitting he’d of fired a GM with his record this era. Basically this means he only wants to win his way.

He’s also stated that remaining interesting and relative is the most important factor in order to maintain the record revenue hyping and promoting our iconic brand.

More recently he’s stated that going All In isn’t worth the risk as it could lead to lean years needing more of an overall rebuild.

The reason I bring this up is I think it’s time we adjust our expectations here. If our owner isn’t willing to make the decisions and moves to build more than an entertainment entity which simply maintains interest and relativity why are we beating our heads trying to figure out how to build a championship team or critiquing them for not building more than they have.

I’m not sure that’s a core priority anymore. Sure, if we stumbled onto another Super Bowl they’d be ecstatic and more than happy to take credit.

I think they are content with this level of success as it continues driving their record revenue enabling the celebrity status he’s pursued. At age 80 he still seems determined to stay the course of status quo regardless whether he’s delegated some responsibility or not.

He’s still intent on being the face of the franchise and where the buck stops . And the meddling with coaching decisions and players contracts persist which all too often influence the atmosphere , culture and potentially the strategic football mentality.

Until we can move on from these unfortunate priorities and distractions it’s very difficult for me to take this football franchise very serious. It’s become more of a sports entertainment venture which I believe is the core intention in order to prevent more serious pressure from the fans and media. Any success beyond that is purely coincidental or sheer chance.

rciAAJU.jpg
Pretty much sums up lot of what we are seeing with this front office.
They are risk adverse to the point of handicapping the team from having any real chance of a SB victory.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In the past he’s said he’d doing everything within his power to win and no one wants to win more than him but he’s unwilling to make any changes at the top even after admitting he’d of fired a GM with his record this era. Basically this means he only wants to win his way.
Jerry Jones owns a privately held company. No one can unseat him as owner unless he is found mentally incompetent or commits an offense so egregious that it forces his fellow owners to strip him of his franchise. He is not an employee. He has 100% control of the direction of the Dallas Cowboys.

The NFL is a business. Providing professional level football entertainment is what separates it from 99%+ other business industries. That's it. Everything else is entirely the same as any other business.

Every business that has seriously sought to improve its future goals takes action. That's every business on Earth. In history. Managerial change is the most commonly committed action undertaken by businesses. It is an accepted action because it forces the adoption of alternate innovative managerial vision for obtaining those goals.

Jones has never been serious about removing himself, hypothetically or not, as general manager. Taking that action would be an admission to himself that a different managerial vision might accomplish the goals he incessantly brags of.

Having the titles of owner and president and divesting himself of the title general manager would still afford him 100% of the glory of winning a Super Bowl--just like any other NFL owner. So, it is important for anyone else on the planet to keep in mind that every single time Jones hints at or flat out says he thinks about not being a general manager is a bold face lie meant for everyone except himself.

The first day Jones stops lying will be if-and-when Jones announces hiring or promoting someone else as general manager. Even then that action may be a partial truth based upon the degree of cooperation and independence he will afford his successor. That said, it would be first time Jones will demonstrate he is willing to do anything to win a Super Bowl and that includes the Jimmy Johnson era.

Scottishcowboy

Reaction score
Biggest or most valuable? Manchester United is #19 on this list...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoz...t-valuable-sports-teams-2022/?sh=38ee19c4385c

That's a difficult question to answer as the NFL is incredible at monetising it's brand. Manchester United are 10-fold bigger than the biggest NFL team - I just made that number up but what I mean is if you travelled through Europe, Asia, South America, Africa even, you'd see 10s of Manchester United shirts every day whereas you'd go 2 months and see zero Cowboys jerseys.

the issue? all the Man Utd jerseys are fakes knocked off in a Chinese sweat shop.

Not meant at a knock at you guys based over the USA but I know a lot of you don't travel outside your borders and you'd be shocked if you could see the reach of the big football teams v the so called big NFL teams.

It's all about market cap which the NFL frankly, does better than any other sport.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
The craziest thing about JJ is he doesnt get how much credit he WOULD get if he brought in a GM/HC and literally said "Your on the clock here is my checkbook make it work or ill find someone who will". If we won people would give JJ all the credit for FINALLY doing this. So does he want to win, YES, does he know how to win, YES, can he win a fight with his ego...NOPE.

kskboys

Reaction score
True about Jerry, not true often at .500.
Since the 5-11 Campo years. They had 6 season of over .500, with one losing season. Until the Wade 1-7 start, before Garrett took over.
then 3 straight win and in seasons at .500. But Jerry being stupid hung onto Garrett.
After that. 4 of 5 seasons over .500, with one losing season as Romo was injured.

Then 3 more winning seasons, before an 8-8, then Dak injured for 6-10, now two 12-5 season, and a playoff win.
You're being too literal.

Jerry's teams often end up as mediocre, due to some major flaws in his design. Counting them doesn't prove anything.

kskboys

Reaction score
This is the major problem, Jerry wants to remain relevant EVERY year and if we get a SB, then great but that's not the goal.

I Googled "most wins in the last 25 years" which let's be honest, is a pretty good timeframe closely mirroring our time out the big game/s.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/most-total-nfl-wins-last-25-years
  • You won't be shocked to know the Patriots (W 279) are at the top and the Browns (W 127) at the bottom.
  • We are 12 of 32 teams (W 216) so not far off top 3rd.....................and that's the problem frankly!
  • significant teams below us who've won or got to the SB / championship game multiple times - Giants (W 192), Buccs (W 189), 49ers (W193), Rams (W 188)

Jerry just cannot grasp that sometimes you need to take 1 step back to take 2 steps forward.

Jerry saying he'd do anything to win another SB is total and utter rubbish, just stop talking pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

He means 1 thing and 1 thing only - if the salary cap was removed even for 1 year, he'd drop a billion on recruiting the best players (I truly believe he would).

However..............he won't do the 2 things he actually needs to do to win a SB in the real world.
  • stand aside and let a proper GM do the job
  • Embrace "down" seasons as part of the process so the rebuild can be strong with a shot at a SB.
Very well stated.

Jerry just doesn't get it. He's not an NFL football guy and keeps proving it over and over.

rambo2

Reaction score
Our owner has made some very candid public outburst in recent weeks which has supported my opinions this era on his priorities.

This is what I’ve always appreciated about our dysfunctional ownership and front office. In order to appeal to fans criticism and the hounding from media he often displays his honest feelings.

He’s also stated that remaining interesting and relative is the most important factor in order to maintain the record revenue hyping and promoting our iconic brand.

More recently he’s stated that going All In isn’t worth the risk as it could lead to lean years needing more of an overall rebuild.

The reason I bring this up is I think it’s time we adjust our expectations here. If our owner isn’t willing to make the decisions and moves to build more than an entertainment entity which simply maintains interest and relativity why are we beating our heads trying to figure out how to build a championship team or critiquing them for not building more than they have.

I’m not sure that’s a core priority anymore. Sure, if we stumbled onto another Super Bowl they’d be ecstatic and more than happy to take credit.

I think they are content with this level of success as it continues driving their record revenue enabling the celebrity status he’s pursued. At age 80 he still seems determined to stay the course of status quo regardless whether he’s delegated some responsibility or not.

He’s still intent on being the face of the franchise and where the buck stops . And the meddling with coaching decisions and players contracts persist which all too often influence the atmosphere , culture and potentially the strategic football mentality.

Until we can move on from these unfortunate priorities and distractions it’s very difficult for me to take this football franchise very serious. It’s become more of a sports entertainment venture which I believe is the core intention in order to prevent more serious pressure from the fans and media. Any success beyond that is purely coincidental or sheer chance.

rciAAJU.jpg
He will want to go all in this year. They are right there at the top. The Eagles are going to lose some players and the 49ers have a question mark at qb. It is wide open for the Cowboys in the NFC. Detroit may challenge , but the Cowboys are certainly in the mix if they play their cards right.

rambo2

Reaction score
You're being too literal.

Jerry's teams often end up as mediocre, due to some major flaws in his design. Counting them doesn't prove anything.
They aren't mediocre now with their excellent drafting over the last 3 years.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Until we can move on from these unfortunate priorities and distractions it’s very difficult for me to take this football franchise very serious. It’s become more of a sports entertainment venture which I believe is the core intention in order to prevent more serious pressure from the fans and media. Any success beyond that is purely coiNoncidental or sheer chance.

rciAAJU.jpg
I don't think we are focused on winning a superbowl. Jerry is focused on increading the value of the franchise. he is content, with a contender, because it generates interest. and value increases. ticket prices go up. when a jersey stops selling or it sales slow down, he moves on from the player to the next. and its getting close on Dak jersey sales, having a down trend and him being pushed aside for the next one. he is going to make one splash signing this off season. just to show the fans, hey we are investing and then its business as usual. we won championships under jerry with Jimmy. everyone knows that was jimmy. I don't think we are going to win another one under jerry. 28+ years and counting

kskboys

Reaction score
They aren't mediocre now with their excellent drafting over the last 3 years.
Correct. I think it is the MM effect. I love what he's done so far. When we dump Zeke and DLaw, then the signs will really be glaring that we're serious about super bowl contention. Unfortunately, Tyron needs to go also. I love Tyron, but it's time to move ahead.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't think we are focused on winning a superbowl. Jerry is focused on increading the value of the franchise. he is content, with a contender, because it generates interest. and value increases. ticket prices go up. when a jersey stops selling or it sales slow down, he moves on from the player to the next. and its getting close on Dak jersey sales, having a down trend and him being pushed aside for the next one. he is going to make one splash signing this off season. just to show the fans, hey we are investing and then its business as usual. we won championships under jerry with Jimmy. everyone knows that was jimmy. I don't think we are going to win another one under jerry. 28+ years and counting
Jerry has actually shown the exact opposite, that a super bowl is not a high priority. (Agreeing w/ you!!!)

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Correct. I think it is the MM effect. I love what he's done so far. When we dump Zeke and DLaw, then the signs will really be glaring that we're serious about super bowl contention. Unfortunately, Tyron needs to go also. I love Tyron, but it's time to move ahead.
Why dump DLaw?

kskboys

Reaction score
Why dump DLaw?
Salary and lack of availability. I like DLaw, good player. Problem thougth is twofold. He's way overpaid and is injured way too often. If he wants to take a pay cut, sure, but you can't keep guys like him on the roster for 20 mil and expect to compete for super bowls.