CFZ Are the Cowboys totally focused on building a championship team?

Flamma

Reaction score
In the past he’s said he’d doing everything within his power to win and no one wants to win more than him but he’s unwilling to make any changes at the top even after admitting he’d of fired a GM with his record this era. Basically this means he only wants to win his way.
I have adjusted my expectations several years ago based on their standard operating procedure. An SOP that doesn't need changes at the top. It's simple enough that an amateur can do it. He's a bookkeeper doing basic maintenance in the off season.

Like players that have millions of dollars. They have an agent, and if they have a ridiculous amount of money, probably a financial advisor as well. I don't need either of those things. I can manage the few thousand I have. Jerry hiring a GM would be like me hiring an agent. Their jobs would be really easy.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At this point, the obvious conclusion is that it's not about winning for Jerry, it's only about proving himself. If winning happens to happen along the way, so be it.
Absolutely true. He would rather be “relevant“ every year- even if it means just being in the “top 8”- than suffer a rebuilding year or two to put together a championship roster. His definition of “winning” does not have to include a championship.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
There was a rebuild time involved.
There is nothing anywhere that takes 28 years to 'rebuild'. Nothing. The massive devastation of Europe from WWII didn't take 28 years to rebuild, so why should it take Jerry that long?

Jerry isn't rebuilding, he's maintaining. To remain 'relevant' and 'interesting' that's all he has to do. Give the masses the impression that you give a damn when you really don't. And the clueless homers fall for it every season.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So I wonder at times did the fans and media help make Jerry the way he is. Did the success of Jimmy and the 2 SB's, then Switzer with the 3rd SB create the way Jerry is.
Here is what I mean.

Jimmy built a great team as we know. With the help of the Walker ad Walsh trades. Which there is a debate as to who orchestrated that Walker trade. Jimmy said he did, Jerry said it was his idea.
Anyway they, together go and win 2 SB's. As Jerry had no issue getting players Jimmy wanted or needed, just as the trade for Haley. Also, who's idea was that.

Then the rift, Jimmy wanted to leave, and pushed Jerry's buttons. But I do believe if not for that unfortunate incident, Jimmy would have been here a few years longer. Bad timing for Jerry to walk into that table. So Jerry makes his comment, and in comes Switzer. They get screwed in the 3rd straight NFCCG, then win the SB the following year.
Jerry, in his world, won without Jimmy.

However,
The fans and media, and even some players comments, basically said, it was still Jimmy's team, and was so good they didn't need a HC, as supposedly Switzer was just in cruise control. I believe Aikman made similar comments after Barry was gone. Jerry probably did not like that.

So by Jerry hearing this for a long time, decided he was going to do it his way, and get credit. The thing is it has been 28 years, so even if they win, no one is going to say it was all Jerry, no one will care.
It is like holding a 28 year grudge of some kid bigger tripping one while in 2nd grade. Who cares at this point who gets the credit, it has been way too long of the same mess.

Though I still say it is more like 15 to 20 years, but 10 wasted with Garrett. As when the team was no longer, fans must realize you just can't simply replace the triplets, and still be competitive. There was a rebuild time involved.
Great question. I’ve studied Jethro since his inception on 2-25-1989. And believe initially he was a great support system for Jimmy providing all the tools and deals he could muster . And he deserves the credit for agreeing to the blockbuster deals like Herschel. One which I’m not sure Tex would have agreed to . Remember once in Miami, Herzog their owner wouldn’t agree to trade Marino.

I don’t think Jethro anticipated that Jimmy would become the Face of his franchise receiving most of the credit .His ego wouldn’t allow him to play a second fiddle to anyone even if it meant not as much success.

It all goes back to his early attempt to buy the Chargers in which he ultimately backed out cause he wasn’t able to swing the deal alone meaning he might have to answer to someone else.

His dream was always to be a Football Celebrity Guy without the pressure a HC or GM would have. Unfortunately the drama after Jimmy parted ways is what has mainly driven his ambitions to prove he could do it without him. He thought he achieved that with Switzer but it only proved how great of team Jimmy built . That any of 500 coaches could win with it.

Since then , Jethro has inserted himself even more in football operations . To the point it has deterred the success on the field with his meddling.

And his historic and revolutionary revenue streams he speared on enabled him to continue his ways without as much success on the field .

kskboys

Reaction score
Great question. I’ve studied Jethro since his inception on 2-25-1989. And believe initially he was a great support system for Jimmy providing all the tools and deals he could muster . And he deserves the credit for agreeing to the blockbuster deals like Herschel. One which I’m not sure Tex would have agreed to . Remember once in Miami, Herzog their owner wouldn’t agree to trade Marino.

I don’t think Jethro anticipated that Jimmy would become the Face of his franchise receiving most of the credit .His ego wouldn’t allow him to play a second fiddle to anyone even if it meant not as much success.

It all goes back to his early attempt to buy the Chargers in which he ultimately backed out cause he wasn’t able to swing the deal alone meaning he might have to answer to someone else.

His dream was always to be a Football Celebrity Guy without the pressure a HC or GM would have. Unfortunately the drama after Jimmy parted ways is what has mainly driven his ambitions to prove he could do it without him. He thought he achieved that with Switzer but it only proved how great of team Jimmy built . That any of 500 coaches could win with it.

Since then , Jethro has inserted himself even more in football operations . To the point it has deterred the success on the field with his meddling.

And his historic and revolutionary revenue streams he speared on enabled him to continue his ways without as much success on the field .
Remember when poor ol' Wade tried to fine Marion Barber for violating the dress code and Jerry removed the fine?

JayFord

Reaction score
Trying to build a championship team but not knowing how to isnt a sign that a person doesnt care to build a contender

Stephen is building this team not Jerry and imo stephen has no clue what hes doing

It amazes me that fans think Jerry who would go out there sign whoever would be so timid to sign any help...it aint jerry running this show

Big_D

Reaction score
Even if he wanted to, he has no idea how. All in or not all in is nothing more than a ridiculous decision in either direction.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Absolutely true. He would rather be “relevant“ every year- even if it means just being in the “top 8”- than suffer a rebuilding year or two to put together a championship roster. His definition of “winning” does not have to include a championship.
Because he knows he doesn’t have the structure in place like most teams to completely rebuild.

Plus it wears on him publicly with the pressure to make wholesale changes he’s not willing to make.

An average or mediocre competitive playoff caliber team is all he needs to hype and sell his product continuing the revenue streams he led to establish.

We must give him credit. He’s proved Tex wrong who told him in order to have financial success and nationwide popularity success on the field was needed.

Jethro sued the league to gain stadium rights which revenue isn’t shared with the players. He helped change the blackout rules which hurt the Cowboys financially in late 80’s without more success on the field and he also led the way in establishing Salary Cap,

Jethro Jone$ deserves credit for reinventing the priorities to win in the NFL. It’s the only professional sports league where all teams make money regardless of their success.

I’m not sure Tex wouldn’t have created the same sports entertainment entity if he thought it was possible.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Trying to build a championship team but not knowing how to isnt a sign that a person doesnt care to build a contender

Stephen is building this team not Jerry and imo stephen has no clue what hes doing

It amazes me that fans think Jerry who would go out there sign whoever would be so timid to sign any help...it aint jerry running this show
But he signing off on it. The buck still stops with him. And it’s his meddling with coaches and players.

acr731

Reaction score

You're right, Stephen doesn't have a damn clue what he's doing. But I don't think you can blame him alone for the past 28 years of failure. Does anyone know when he really became involved with the day-to-day operations? And what proof do we have that he is the one with the most control? I personally think Jerry is still running things with Stephen more in an advisory role. Jerry still gets the final say in everything.

kskboys

Reaction score

Yes it is. If the one trying to build this contender is insisting on putting people in charge who are incapable of such, then it absolutely does mean that he is not that interested in building a contender.

JayFord

Reaction score
But he signing off on it. The buck still stops with him. And it’s his meddling with coaches and players.
I dont think Jerry is meddling with Coaches or Players anymore and its simply because of age

I truly believe hes just the president and gm in name only and does interviews because he loves the spotlight and tells Stephen do as you please

kskboys

Reaction score
You're right, Stephen doesn't have a damn clue what he's doing. But I don't think you can blame him alone for the past 28 years of failure. Does anyone know when he really became involved with the day-to-day operations? And what proof do we have that he is the one with the most control? I personally think Jerry is still running things with Stephen more in an advisory role. Jerry still gets the final say in everything.
It just doesn't matter. For Jerry to be a good owner, he'd need to hire a competent GM. Since he refuses, Jerry is to blame.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I dont think Jerry is meddling with Coaches or Players anymore and its simply because of age

I truly believe hes just the president and gm in name only and does interviews because he loves the spotlight and tells Stephen do as you please
Believe what you will . That’s certainly not what most think.

It was pretty evident when he wanted to keep Moore when he hired MM. and the fact he continues starting Elliot when Pollard was by far more productive .

JayFord

Reaction score
Jerry running things and not being active in Free agency just doesnt seem like Jerry....yeah hes the owner but Jerry aint the type to just say "oh we have good cap? sit on it"

thats sounds like Stephen....

Scottishcowboy

Reaction score

This is the major problem, Jerry wants to remain relevant EVERY year and if we get a SB, then great but that's not the goal.

I Googled "most wins in the last 25 years" which let's be honest, is a pretty good timeframe closely mirroring our time out the big game/s.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/most-total-nfl-wins-last-25-years
  • You won't be shocked to know the Patriots (W 279) are at the top and the Browns (W 127) at the bottom.
  • We are 12 of 32 teams (W 216) so not far off top 3rd.....................and that's the problem frankly!
  • significant teams below us who've won or got to the SB / championship game multiple times - Giants (W 192), Buccs (W 189), 49ers (W193), Rams (W 188)

Jerry just cannot grasp that sometimes you need to take 1 step back to take 2 steps forward.

Jerry saying he'd do anything to win another SB is total and utter rubbish, just stop talking pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

He means 1 thing and 1 thing only - if the salary cap was removed even for 1 year, he'd drop a billion on recruiting the best players (I truly believe he would).

However..............he won't do the 2 things he actually needs to do to win a SB in the real world.
  • stand aside and let a proper GM do the job
  • Embrace "down" seasons as part of the process so the rebuild can be strong with a shot at a SB.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry refuses to rebuild. That is a major reason why we are so often stuck at 500.
True about Jerry, not true often at .500.
Since the 5-11 Campo years. They had 6 season of over .500, with one losing season. Until the Wade 1-7 start, before Garrett took over.
then 3 straight win and in seasons at .500. But Jerry being stupid hung onto Garrett.
After that. 4 of 5 seasons over .500, with one losing season as Romo was injured.

Then 3 more winning seasons, before an 8-8, then Dak injured for 6-10, now two 12-5 season, and a playoff win.

acr731

Reaction score
It just doesn't matter. For Jerry to be a good owner, he'd need to hire a competent GM. Since he refuses, Jerry is to blame.
And this is the reason I will debate anyone who claims Jerry is a good owner. Some say Jerry is a good owner because he has built the most valuable sports franchise on the planet. What exactly had that done for the fans? It's done a lot for Jerry and his family. They will reap the benefits for the next hundred years or more. But it hasn't done a damn thing for the fans and never will.

A good owner gets rid of his incompetent GM. Jerry's refusal to do that says it all.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The first clue is the runaway nepotism. Hell, even the Mara's, Rooney's and Brown's don't employ everybody. The Cowboys are Duck Dynasty of the NFL, only not as pretty.

And have you ever taken a really close look at the grandson they brought into the scouting department, I think that's the one someone nicknamed Spaulding, a true gem of a nickname. Damn scary looking, I wouldn't leave a pet with him.