Are there really fans that would rather still have Garrett?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He sucked. He wasn't run of the mill, he was actively detrimental to his team for his entire tenure.

Not getting fired doesn't mean he was good, it means Jerry was bad not to fire him.
Why didn't the team finish last in the division every year? How did the team have winning records, and win more than they lost under him? Come on, he wasn't a strong coach. Most agree on that. But the standard isn't either greatness or he sucks. There are a lot of levels in between, and while he didn't do nearly enough, there were a lot of coaches over the same time frame that did a whole lot less. He was, as blueblood said, average.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
not true its YOUR opinion , the definition of suck would not be Garett's record the last 10yrs..sorry average yes suck NOPE sorry better study up on your.. the most used term for Garetts teams have been mediocrity , well that means middle, but suck would be bottom.. that we were not..
Being mediocre with great talent means the coach sucks. He's like 1-15 in his career without Dak or Romo. 2015 told us all we needed to know about him.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
not true its YOUR opinion , the definition of suck would not be Garett's record the last 10yrs..sorry average yes suck NOPE sorry better study up on your.. the most used term for Garetts teams have been mediocrity , well that means middle, but suck would be bottom.. that we were not..
2 playoff wins in 10 years is the very definition of suck.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think if Jerry could still have Garrett and keep most of the fans he would do it. Garrett was the perfect guy for Jerry’s (false) dreams of being seen as a football genius who has an eye for coaching talent.

Garrett should have been fired either at the end of 2015 or at the latest on the tarmac in Atlanta after that disastrous game with Chaz Green. The only organization that would have kept Garrett as long as Jerry did would probably be the bungles, who kept Marvin Lewis 16 seasons despite never getting a playoff win.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Agreed. Most liked him and he seemed like a stand up guy, the issue is it ran it's course. He had a lot of opportunities, just couldn't get it done.
That’s a reasonable assertion. More than they need medication or idiots.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Garrett objectively is probably in the top 25% of coaches in NFL history... but the mental midgets here don't like to think too hard. Gonna be a real funny place to be here when things don't magically improve just because they replaced the coach... the mental gymnastics will likely become legendary.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Garrett objectively is probably in the top 25% of coaches in NFL history... but the mental midgets here don't like to think too hard. Gonna be a real funny place to be here when things don't magically improve just because they replaced the coach... the mental gymnastics will likely become legendary.
Regular season, maybe.
What's mental are those conveniently leaving that out of the equation.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is one of those threads where the title doesn’t match the thread content very well. Fans can think we didn’t necessarily upgrade the coaching staff but still agree it was time for a change. That’s more likely what the discussion was about.

We kept the OC, swapped DCs for another guy who’s been in the league for decades, and upgraded STs. Everyone’s thrilled with the new HC. I don’t think he’s a particular upgrade, but he’s also a good coach. And the issue in Dallas hasn’t been coaching, as much as all y’all want to believe it has been.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Check back during the season for the answer to that.

Some are seeing McC as the second coming and already announcing this staff is better than Garrett's but there is no proof of that yet. And he was my first choice of the mentioned candidates but I never bought that "this is the most talented team" stuff either.

I was just tired of Garrett and everything about him and most of all discussing him here.

HC's catch too much blame and credit and I've yet to see one throw, catch, run, block or tackle except for Woody Hayes and Mike Tomlin.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy managed a 6 win season with a HoF QB in his prime starting all 16 games. Because he’s better at ‘coaching.’ The next coach immediately won 13 games with that team despite no previous HC experience.

Can you think of a head coach who did worse with a hall of fame QB?

I’m okay with the swap.
Sorry, but this is a garbage assessment. I think you're giving LaFleur too much credit, and the Green Bay FO not enough credit.

McCarthy's main criticism of his tenure in GB was the lack of spending in FA. The first season McCarthy is gone, they get the two Smith pass rushers and it changes the entire dynamic on defense. Rodgers had an above average season in 2019, but it was still pedestrian for his standards. And while we're on the subject, what about the Dolphins of the late 1980s? Shula and Marino went 6-10 in 1988. Both are in the HOF. There have been several teams that have under performed with HOF quarterbacks.

kskboys

Reaction score
Listening to The Fan and here them discussing this and getting fan texts saying this staff is not better than the last one.. LMAO! Are these the same folks who feel the Earth is flat by any chance?
I mean, that shouldn't even be a discussion.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Being mediocre with great talent means the coach sucks. He's like 1-15 in his career without Dak or Romo. 2015 told us all we needed to know about him.

Aside from the fact this is blatantly false - the Cowboys won 4-5 games with Kitna alone.

And aside from the fact the Cowboys are far from the only team that doesn't do as well with it's backup QB than with it's starter …

It appears you are praising Jerry, Stephen (and Garrett) for being great at accumulating talent. Hmm. Interesting you think so highly of our GM, and that you ignore that Garrett weighs in on the talent the team acquires.

So do you want to be on record as talking up the GM skills of Jerry Jones, or would you prefer to acknowledge that maybe there were shortcomings in talent? After all, fans have been wailing on the lack of a pass rush for years, and the lack of focus on the interior D-Line talent, and the lack of talent at safety, and how Witten was declining for several years …

Come on, it's not as if Garrett had the 1985 Bears and led them to 8-8. He was an average coach with solid talent that failed to elevate that talent in the way he was hired to do

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
Great talent is also an opinion which a lot of time is flat WRONG..sorry but Garett did not lead the league in dropped passes, some of those players got rewarded, yet Garett fired, Garett didnt miss tackles or seem to give up plays, Garett didnt constantly throw bad passes to wide open Wrs, Garett did not miss FGs, allow sacks, throw Ints, fumble or jump offsides or get flag and have rekick a made fg only to missat the worst possible time in game. and many more BS narratives on how great coach could have prevented poor execution..

Did garett get paid 20mil only to have an off year in sacks?

Garett was simply not a championship level coach , hes good enough to win more times then not but against the best competition who had answers in games where garett didnt, sure Garett was exposed..sounds like someone else I know about to be rewarded 35mil for being mediocre as was his start WR..

its the cold hard truth, a lot of our issues were players NOT executing and Garett not having an answer for it, hes gone, many for those players are still here..huh ironic how that works..

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is one of those threads where the title doesn’t match the thread content very well. Fans can think we didn’t necessarily upgrade the coaching staff but still agree it was time for a change. That’s more likely what the discussion was about.

We kept the OC, swapped DCs for another guy who’s been in the league for decades, and upgraded STs. Everyone’s thrilled with the new HC. I don’t think he’s a particular upgrade, but he’s also a good coach. And the issue in Dallas hasn’t been coaching, as much as all y’all want to believe it has been.
Exactly. A headline designed to capture attention by suggesting a sensationalized version of what the story actually says. It's an everyday thing in today's tabloid media world.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

:muttley:

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Check back during the season for the answer to that.

Some are seeing McC as the second coming and already announcing this staff is better than Garrett's but there is no proof of that yet. And he was my first choice of the mentioned candidates but I never bought that "this is the most talented team" stuff either.

I was just tired of Garrett and everything about him and most of all discussing him here.

HC's catch too much blame and credit and I've yet to see one throw, catch, run, block or tackle except for Woody Hayes and Mike Tomlin.
Objectively, McCarthy is a better coach. He has a higher winning percentage, more wins, and more playoff wins than Garrett.

Of course, he has also been a worse coach than Garrett, objectively, since 2012 with 2 fewer wins from then until 2018... which certainly seems to indicate that he does not have a magical power to just be good whenever he wants and overcome the limitations of his roster and GM.

Mike McCarthy meet Jerry Jones.

Last edited:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't have the hate for Garrett as some around here but I will say Jason was given more than enough time to get this team over the hump and failed to do so and was justly removed as HC.