Are we going to be seeing a lot more of Dak running?

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
I see Dak as more of a bridge to our next era.

Once this OL needs rebuilding and we let Zeke walk this supporting cast Dak thrives on will more expose his weaknesses.

I’m just hopeful we dont extend him more than 3 years. That will be about the time we need to revamp this entire offense.
I disagree there.. Our defense is young, and strong. It's top 5.

Our offense is young, and with a strong TE and WR, it's top 10 / 12, if not higher.

This team can be salvaged and turned into a winner.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We're on the same page, but yes, I do think the Cam comparison is pretty appropriate. Dak is never going to be Drew Brees or Tom Brady, but can he be Cam Newton? Yep, I'm pretty darn sure of it.
Cam has not only more speed and size but a better arm with a deeper threat downfield.

There’s really no one in NFL I’d compare Dak too. I get the comparisons to Cam while the talent level isn’t comparable.

After what we’ve seen the last two seasons I’m not sure Dak would be starting too many other places?

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Cam has not only more speed and size but a better arm with a deeper threat downfield.

There’s really no one in NFL I’d compare Dak too. I get the comparisons to Cam while the talent level isn’t comparable.

After what we’ve seen the last two seasons I’m not sure Dak would be starting too many other places?
Dak's a top 12 / 15 guy, with room to improve.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I disagree there.. Our defense is young, and strong. It's top 5.

Our offense is young, and with a strong TE and WR, it's top 10 / 12, if not higher.

This team can be salvaged and turned into a winner.
Our Pro Bowlers OL strength is not young anymore all on their second contract. We might be losing our center , our LT doesn’t appear himself after injuries last year and our All Pro RG is apparently nursing injuries.

And until we have that strong WR and TE that’s just speculation. Zeke only has 2 years left on his rookie contract and we still have Dak at QB. We have about 2-3 years left with this core before starting over.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I absolutely loved Dak taking off and running last night. That made the difference and won us the game. Looked a lot like he picked up something from watching Cam in week 1.

Do you think this is a new dynamic we are going to add to our offense?

At most, 4 more times per game than last year.

The more that is on film, the more the threat of him running helps even if he does not run much in some games.

Praxit

Reaction score
...im telling you its in the books. He will be running from now on. They saw what happens when he does. Extra weapon on offense.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Me too, and yes defenses can adjust and stop it with a QB spy, but that opens up the receiving game, and then when Austin burns them on a long play, they remove the spy, Dak and Zeke can have a field day.

That's the key - using it at the right times, and recognizing the opportunities when the opposing defenses adjust.

jsb357

Reaction score
maybe but a QB must realize he'll get hit and sometimes he might not get up

running increases the chance of taking a BIG hit.

Ask Cam and Eli

glimmerman

Reaction score
He did what cam did to us the week before. The more he does it the less he will have to later. Teams will start game planning for it and spy him. That’s ok because they watch him and it’s one less in coverage. Play action works well for our team.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hope so because DC's hate that.

Just ask Saban about running QB's, he's struggled with them and has the best D every season. They create the wild card effect on the defense.

While there is a risk with that, what's the risk without it? Does he look like the prototypical pocket QB to you? He's always been his most effective when allowed to be that dual thread but I would like to see those 6-7 carries a game countered by 6-7 passes to the RB's.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
If this staff has taught me anything, it's that just because something works well doesn't mean you'll see it regularly. This staff like to out coach themselves.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I absolutely loved Dak taking off and running last night. That made the difference and won us the game. Looked a lot like he picked up something from watching Cam in week 1.

Cowboys QB Dak Prescott is now 9-2 when he’s rushed the ball at least five times in a game. He’s now 4-0 when rushing at least seven times.

Wood

Reaction score

Cowboys need to make decision this year on how they see Dak. Clearly trying to make him Aikaman & Romo in the pocket isn't working. But if they run him alot they know he will get banged around alot (he is not built like Cam Newton who is tank). It will play out.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Cowboys need to make decision this year on how they see Dak. Clearly trying to make him Aikaman & Romo in the pocket isn't working. But if they run him alot they know he will get banged around alot (he is not built like Cam Newton who is tank). It will play out.
Now, why isn't he built like Cam in terms of durability? He hasn't missed a game yet....

Wood

Reaction score
Now, why isn't he built like Cam in terms of durability? He hasn't missed a game yet....

6'5" 255
6'2" 229

is pretty big difference. I also saw Dak taking on defenders and that won't work long term. He will get hurt.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
To me it looks like Dak gets into a better flow of the game by letting him use his abilities. I agree with Deion Sanders when he said let Dak be who he is, he is not a Rodgers or Brady but he can do things to help this team win.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Rushing QB’s have a limited shelf life in NFL. While agree it opened up our offense and creates havoc for defenses it won’t last long.

Maybe we have realized Dak isn’t our long time answer and might as well get all we can while we can. I’m ok with that . Good strategy !!