Are we in a better place with McCarthy?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That’s always the best measurement of a HC or any Mgmt or leadership. Are we in a better place than when you arrived?

There’s probably an argument to be made for both sides .

When MM came in most fans felt anything would be an improvement from Garrett. And an experienced proven SB winner was definitely what many ordered or had hoped for .

In many ways we are in a better place . 3 straight 12 win seasons. A couple division titles and first time since 90’s 3 consecutive playoff appearances. But only 1 playoff win and still no championship game appearances .

It appears we have built an overall better or more talented team. But the disappointment and frustration in playoffs continues.

So, what is your take. Are we in a better place with McCarthy than 4 years ago?

Yobwocs

Reaction score
Maybe not, but he had 1 playoff win in his first 4 years at Green Bay too. 1 Hall of Fame veteran Quarterback at the helm and a young up and coming QB in his early developing years.

Just wanted to lay this out there. I'm not excusing him.

kskboys

Reaction score
That’s always the best measurement of a HC or any Mgmt or leadership. Are we in a better place than when you arrived?

When MM came in most fans felt anything would be an improvement from Garrett. And an experienced proven SB winner was definitely what many ordered or had hoped for .

In many ways we are in a better place . 3 straight 12 win seasons. A couple division titles and first time since 90’s 3 consecutive playoff appearances. But only 1 playoff win and still no championship game appearances .

It appears we have built an overall better or more talented team. But the disappointment and frustration in playoffs continues.

Absolutely one thousand percent.

However, we continue to be dogged by horrendous personnel decisions made by our GM. You are NOT going to beat playoff teams w/ 200 lb LB's and rotational DT's starting. That is a well known fact, but w/ Jerry, it takes him several years to learn anything, so now we're in the middle of yet another learning curve of Jerry's. Took him what, 5-7 years to learn the value of an OL? I'm not sure he even has a clue how much S's mean to a D. And I'd love to hear his answer if someone asked him to define "lateral agility" and "burst". I doubt he even knows what it means or how it relates to the NFL game.

Jerry: "He catch pass good, draft him high."

And his analyzations don't go beyond that. Look at Schooner. We've already had him on the roster, Schooner is a James Hanna clone. Has some pretty good physical traits but cannot translate those to his play. In Schooner's most awesome "breakout year", he caught all of 35 passes for 418 yds. Yeah, when I saw that I too thought it had to be a misprint. 2.9 catches/game. 34 yards/game.

Really? That's worth a 2nd round pick?

As usual, Jerry continues to sabotage any coach he hires. It would be interesting to see what MM would've done had he been able to pick the players.

Flinger

Reaction score
Absolutely one thousand percent.

However, we continue to be dogged by horrendous personnel decisions made by our GM. You are NOT going to beat playoff teams w/ 200 lb LB's and rotational DT's starting. That is a well known fact, but w/ Jerry, it takes him several years to learn anything, so now we're in the middle of yet another learning curve of Jerry's. Took him what, 5-7 years to learn the value of an OL? I'm not sure he even has a clue how much S's mean to a D. And I'd love to hear his answer if someone asked him to define "lateral agility" and "burst". I doubt he even knows what it means or how it relates to the NFL game.

Jerry: "He catch pass good, draft him high."

And his analyzations don't go beyond that. Look at Schooner. We've already had him on the roster, Schooner is a James Hanna clone. Has some pretty good physical traits but cannot translate those to his play. In Schooner's most awesome "breakout year", he caught all of 35 passes for 418 yds. Yeah, when I saw that I too thought it had to be a misprint. 2.9 catches/game. 34 yards/game.

Really? That's worth a 2nd round pick?

As usual, Jerry continues to sabotage any coach he hires. It would be interesting to see what MM would've done had he been able to pick the players.
100%

It is pure foolishness to think this coach is anything but an excellent coach. Coaching is not a problem for the Dallas Cowboys.

kskboys

Reaction score
100%

It is pure foolishness to think this coach is anything but an excellent coach. Coaching is not a problem for the Dallas Cowboys.
Yup.

MM got paid a pile of money to do the best he could and shut up. Don't blame him a bit. While I don't put him at the top of the list or anything, he's a competent, middle of the pack HC.

Flinger

Reaction score
Yup.

MM got paid a pile of money to do the best he could and shut up. Don't blame him a bit. While I don't put him at the top of the list or anything, he's a competent, middle of the pack HC.
Agreement, in degrees... he is much more than competent and middle of the pack. He has made a very good turnaround from the Red days. Mostly, he's figured a way to deal with a mostly incompetent GM and son - while building a solid team that performs for one another and performs well. 12-5. 3 times. Enjoy the journey.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Of course we're better off. OP regurgitates this thread every few months to defend his boy Garrett.

Mike hasn't had the best OL in the league, nor an experienced Tony Romo, nor the Cheap Dak Window like the Red Fraud did.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Mac built a stronger franchise than Garrett, especially on all three sides - OFF, DEF and ST.

If team had at least made a game of the GB matchup, I would probably support one more year. Entire team wasn’t ready, and that 12-5 record looks hollow now.

Even the Bucs moved on from Tony Dungy to get to a Super Bowl.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Absolutely.

We actually outcoach teams and Dak is clearly better for being with McCarthy.

But

Dak or McCarthy should’ve been gone after the playoff debacle.

The Cowboys have a big problem about being terrified of change.

Continuity is not a good thing in the NFL unless you’re actually winning.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Of course we're better off. OP regurgitates this thread every few months to defend his boy Garrett.

Mike hasn't had the best OL in the league, nor an experienced Tony Romo, nor the Cheap Dak Window like the Red Fraud did.
Yeah.

Jason Garrett was beyond awful. I can’t believe I actually had to argue that point on this forum.

He is single handedly the worst thing that ever happened to the Cowboys franchise and easily Jerry Jones worst decision as an owner and he’s had some doozies.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If continuing to get dog walked by the 49ers and then embarrassed by Green Bay is a better place then sure.

He has 1 playoff win in Dallas. It was against a team with a losing record.
You’re both right.

Hes done a good job and we are clearly a much better team on Sundays.

Mike McCarthy is a legit NFL coach.

But…

Lack of playoff success should cost any coach their job.

gtb1943

Reaction score
We have a REAL coach not a Jethro so called wonder boy
Sadly the problems due to Jethro are still the BIGGEST problems we have

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To me the better question is, “Does it matter who is head coach in Dallas the way this franchise is run?”

Mike McCarthy is the 8th head coach hired in the Jerry era. Only Jimmy Johnson had the freedom and authority to do what normal head coaches do in an NFL organization and he had it written in his contract to have that authority. No head coach in Big D has had it since. Barry Switzer had two years of success with the core Jimmy built. We have four wild card wins since Barry left.

Since the playoff glory days of the 90s, we‘ve had six head coaches, 8 offensive coordinators, 8 defensive coordinators, multiple offensive and defensive schemes, and one GM. And this franchise has been in the desert regarding playoff success for nearly three decades.

It’s no secret why this team struggles when it matters most. It starts in the owners box. Every HC since Jerry’s first hire has been undermined and micromanaged and we have receipts to prove it. Three decades of evidence is crystal clear.

I have stated before that I would have fired Big Mac after the packers loss last January for two reasons:
  • It’s hard for a team to recover mentally from a humiliating playoff loss like that with the same head coach.
  • Having a HC in the last year of his contract with a tough schedule early in the year and with apparently little roster improvement is a recipe for disaster. Hope I’m wrong.
Back to my question that started this- Does it really matter who the head coach is when the main cause of our problems stays in complete control with no accountability for failure?

Motorola

Reaction score

I can't remember...did anyone else get an interview with Cowboys before deciding on hiring McCarthy?
I will state yes. His first season as HC was bad due to the injury to their QB. Since then team has been successful consistently. But the early playoff exits overshadow them.