Are we in a better place with McCarthy?

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
Absolutely.

We actually outcoach teams and Dak is clearly better for being with McCarthy.

But

Dak or McCarthy should’ve been gone after the playoff debacle.

The Cowboys have a big problem about being terrified of change.

Continuity is not a good thing in the NFL unless you’re actually winning.
Before one calls me a hater please hear me out..... Dak's first year, I thought he was the greatest since sliced bread. I was on the Dak train when the arguments were made about making Dak the permanent starter or keeping Romo as the starter. Today, I still feel if Dak doesn't have pressure, he can play lights out... When you see the scared look in his eyes, that's when it goes to hell in a handbasket... Knowing what we know now, he's not ready to be a QB that can get us beyond regular season. He just isn't.

fivetwos

Reaction score
An ex-player for the Cowboys in the 60's who played in the Ice Bowl and still works for the NFL with International promotion - and, was head of player acquisition for the Eagles for about 10 years... (Oh - a fantastic human being who is a very good friend - strong devoted Christian who credits Landry for building his faith)... told me last year a couple of weeks after the game...
  • No coach could have overcome what the Cowboys were facing due to injuries and incompentence of the Front Office.
  • Entering the game, MM knew they had no answers in the running game to get tough yards - he knew they would become predictable
  • Entering the game, MM knew they had no middle linebacker to stop the run due to the incompentency in the FO
  • Entering the game, MM knew they were weak at DT to stop the run due to the incompentency of the FO - reliance on a rookie is not a good strategy
  • Entering the game, MM knew they had undersized linebackers and even DT's. DQ knew that. Both knew if the DE's couldn't get there it would be a long day
  • Entering the game, MM knew they had key injuries that DQ was trying to hide, but couldn't. Said a key that no one is talking about is the injury to Gilmore the week before. He couldn't use his arm due to serious shoulder injury - everyone knew his game is to punch and run, but everyone knew he couldn't punch therefore allowing WR's to run wide open. Diggs out. Van der Esch out. Gilmore wounded. Hankins was injured and didn't practice all week.Tyler Smith was injured, but played.
Basically - it was a perfect storm. In his mind, there was nothing MM could have done. The injuries were too much to overcome. The FO incompentency was too much to overcome. They couldn't run and they couldn't stop the run. And, when Green Bay passed, they know Gilmore wouldn't be able to cover.

One other thing - my friend's wife is very well connected with players - current and of old (they are in their 70's). She said this generation of players are completely different than the older gen players - and, quietly, it appears the Cowboys were flat due to some partying the night before the game... just speculation. But, no longer are the days when the head coach can enforce a "lights out" curfew the night before a game - especially a home game.

The problem is not the head coach.
“The FO incompentency was too much to overcome. They couldn't run and they couldn't stop the run.”

That about sums it up. Couldn’t run and couldn’t stop the run. What was done about it since? Bring back a RB that was cooked years ago and a 7th round DT.

I realize players nowadays want to get paid more than win, but I would seriously consider getting out of here if all else is about equal.

The FO has absolutely no idea how to build a winner and don’t seem interested in even trying. The poverty they claim isn’t due to anything besides their own past mistakes.

I don’t mind losing. I’ve certainly gotten used to it, but losing because these two insist on running everything themselves because they think they are smarter and better than everyone else and so they can be public figures is beyond maddening and frustrating.

I’ll still watch because I don’t know any other way, but it’s sad and depressing to know that you have no chance to win on the foreseeable future, nor are you at least building toward getting there.

I really do wonder how much longer they are going to be able to sell this same act….and before anyone mentions 12 wins, I truly hope you thoroughly enjoyed all that, because that was the absolute peak with these two, and there was no ability to recognize that within that window and make the necessary moves to get over the top…or at least act as if you’re trying.

Wont even get into the ridiculously dumb things that the two of their mouths consistently spew.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
McCarthy has failed. We haven’t gotten any further with him than we have the rest of the head coaches Jerry has brought in. We’ve seen the same problems under him that we saw with all the others. We won more playoff games with Garrett despite the fact he was a head coach in training and we were competitive in all our playoff games under him. The beating we took to the Packers in the playoffs was the most embarrassing playoff beating in franchise history. This fat head can’t even beat his old team minus Aaron Rodgers. He should have been fired immediately after the game.

Flinger

Reaction score
“The FO incompentency was too much to overcome. They couldn't run and they couldn't stop the run.”

That about sums it up. Couldn’t run and couldn’t stop the run. What was done about it since? Bring back a RB that was cooked years ago and a 7th round DT.

I realize players nowadays want to get paid more than win, but I would seriously consider getting out of here if all else is about equal.

The FO has absolutely no idea how to build a winner and don’t seem interested in even trying. The poverty they claim isn’t due to anything besides their own past mistakes.

I don’t mind losing. I’ve certainly gotten used to it, but losing because these two insist on running everything themselves because they think they are smarter and better than everyone else and so they can be public figures is beyond maddening and frustrating.

I’ll still watch because I don’t know any other way, but it’s sad and depressing to know that you have no chance to win on the foreseeable future, nor are you at least building toward getting there.

I really do wonder how much longer they are going to be able to sell this same act….and before anyone mentions 12 wins, I truly hope you thoroughly enjoyed all that, because that was the absolute peak with these two, and there was no ability to recognize that within that window and make the necessary moves to get over the top…or at least act as if you’re trying.

Wont even get into the ridiculously dumb things that the two of their mouths consistently spew.
100%

Back to WHERE the blame should rest...

Coaching is not the problem.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Of course we're in a better place. There can be no denying that Garrett was holding the team back before McCarthy came to town. Obviously the playoff failures loom large but I think it is taking McCarthy time to figure all that out so he can address it. The playoff failures are a product of the Cowboys dysfunctional culture and McCarthy has to fix that or this will be his last year in Dallas. Problem is, nobody is going to be able to fix that dysfunction if Jerry won't let them. He allowed Parcells to put his imprint on the culture for a minute but Jerry quickly moved in and cut Tuna off at the knees so Tuna bailed. If he got a Belichick or someone of that ilk would Jerry allow THEM to do their thing? I think he would initially but I don't know if Jerry would be able to contain himself from meddling for very long.

Flinger

Reaction score
McCarthy has failed. We haven’t gotten any further with him than we have the rest of the head coaches Jerry has brought in. We’ve seen the same problems under him that we saw with all the others. We won more playoff games with Garrett and were competitive in all our playoff games under him. The beating we took to the Packers in the playoffs was the most embarrassing playoff beating in franchise history. This fat head can’t even beat his old team minus Aaron Rodgers. He should have been fired immediately after the game.
McCarthy has not failed.

Stop the extremist statement. In NO way has he failed, other than winning a couple of more playoff games to advance.

He is an excellent coach. Not perfect. But very good.

Try to enjoy watching the games sometime. His team is fun to watch play.. even with a dysfunctional GM

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
McCarthy has not failed.

Stop the extremist statement. In NO way has he failed, other than winning a couple of more playoff games to advance.

He is an excellent coach. Not perfect. But very good.

Try to enjoy watching the games sometime. His team is fun to watch play.. even with a dysfunctional GM
Are you being serious? :rolleyes: He was brought here to win a championship and we still haven’t won a divisional round game after four seasons with this mouth smacking buckethead. We had won 16 straight at home and ended up getting blown out at home in the playoffs to a 9 win team. McCarthy has failed!

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We’re coming off an embarrassing loss at home in the playoffs where we gave up 48 points to a 9 win team. We’ve lost our last two home playoff games to lower seeded teams that we were favored against. How could we be in a better place with McCarthy?

Flinger

Reaction score
Are you being serious? :rolleyes: He was brought here to win a championship and we still haven’t won a divisional round game after four seasons with this mouth smacking buckethead. We had won 16 straight at home and ended up getting blown out at home in the playoffs to a 9 win team. McCarthy has failed!
Absolulety being serious. He is doing a very good job. Things happen in a game. But he puts the team in the best position to win that he can.

Have you ever played organized sports in your entire life? If you have, think about what you are saying. I've played many types of team sports when the better team didn't win. Things happen within the course of a game... injuries, weird plays, mis-communications...

He wasn't brought here to win championships. He was brought here to coach the Dallas Cowboys. His goal is always to win a championship. Sometimes, the team isn't good enough to win a championship. That isn't on the coach - it is on the front office. I appreciate the hard journey he and the team are on. They are fun to watch and win a whole lot more than they lose.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All coaches are brought in to win championships. How many have failed their teams as well.
So they are all failures as well until they win?

Andy Reid failed time and time again until they drafted Mahomes. So he was a failure up to that point?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
All coaches are brought in to win championships. How many have failed their teams as well.
So they are all failures as well until they win?

Andy Reid failed time and time again until they drafted Mahomes. So he was a failure up to that point?
We brought in an experienced head coach who had won a championship in Green Bay and he was brought here to do the same thing. We were in a WIN NOW mode after spending almost 10 seasons trying to develop a younger head coach. We still haven’t won a divisional round game after four years with McCarthy. We’ve lost our last two home playoff games to teams we were favored against. We’re coming off the most embarrassing playoff loss in franchise history. When Andy Reid went to KC they brought in a journeyman QB. Rarely do you win a Super Bowl with a journeyman QB. He was a stopgap until they found their franchise QB. McCarthy has been a failure. We have the most penalized team in the league that can’t get motivated for playoff games. There’s been no difference with the teams under McCarthy than the teams we had under the previous head coaches. We begin to sputter out in December which leads to an early exit in the playoffs.

cowboyec

Reaction score
than when garrett was coach...yes.
but i expected more or better post-season results.
but we're a better team than under garrett.

none of that matters.
it's about the playoffs.
and his teams look no different than garrett's.
over-matched.
un-prepared.
no energy.

sadly.
the same guy who hired the last two will hire the next one.
and he won't be liked anymore than jg or mm.
and won't get any different results.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
He should have been fired.

That playoff loss was an epic fail.

Jerry likely thought about it.

Someone talked him off the ledge.

Likely Stephen or Jimmy.

Odds are Big Mike doesn’t survive the QB1 transition to Lance.

fivetwos

Reaction score
100%

Back to WHERE the blame should rest...

Coaching is not the problem.
Even if it was, the front office hires the coaches. Jerry wants to be the man and he is going to literally die trying.

I’ve got some bad news for him though…it’s quite clear at this point that if he refuses to share the spotlight there will be no spotlight to share.

Let’s see how the kid warms up to being in charge in his own as the media gets tougher. That’s what our hopes have been reduced to.

75boyz

Reaction score
As a Cowboys HC he's been nothing more than his QB.

Which is a good regular season guy but truly poor at his job against playoff level competition.

Like his QB again, his ceiling has been reached and it is time for his replacement.

But it would not surprise me to hear Jerry extending him and Prescott both.
That's just the current Cowboy reality we live in.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Absolulety being serious. He is doing a very good job. Things happen in a game. But he puts the team in the best position to win that he can.

Have you ever played organized sports in your entire life? If you have, think about what you are saying. I've played many types of team sports when the better team didn't win. Things happen within the course of a game... injuries, weird plays, mis-communications...

He wasn't brought here to win championships. He was brought here to coach the Dallas Cowboys. His goal is always to win a championship. Sometimes, the team isn't good enough to win a championship. That isn't on the coach - it is on the front office. I appreciate the hard journey he and the team are on. They are fun to watch and win a whole lot more than they lose.
Me having played organized sports has absolutely nothing to do with what’s been going on with this organization the past 30 years. There’s a lot of people who get paid to talk NFL football that thought McCarthy should have been fired after the debacle in the playoffs. How can you be doing a very good job when your team shows up flat for the playoffs? How can you be doing a very good job when your team is leading the league in penalties? He was absolutely brought here to win a championship. His resume in Green Bay that included a Super Bowl win got him the job with the Cowboys.

When the Joneses were both asked why McCarthy still has a job after what happened in the playoffs, they keep bringing up that damn Super Bowl win he had 13 years ago. That was the selling point Jerry used during his presser when he announced McCarthy as the head coach four years ago. When your team is showing up flat for the playoffs and it leads to an embarrassment especially at home that’s on the head coach. There’s no excuse for a 12 win team to look as bad as we did in the playoffs.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Don’t know how we could be in a better place with McCarthy with only one playoff win in four seasons. Don’t know how we could be in a better place with McCarthy when we’re leading the league or close to leading the league in penalties every season. Don’t know how we could be in a better place with McCarthy losing our last two home playoff games to lower seeded teams. We’re still laying an egg against at least one bad team every season where we decide not to show up and play. We’re seeing the same crap under him we saw under the previous head coaches.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We’re in the same place we have been and it probably won’t change regardless the head coach until the Joneses change. It all starts with them.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
That’s always the best measurement of a HC or any Mgmt or leadership. Are we in a better place than when you arrived?

There’s probably an argument to be made for both sides .

When MM came in most fans felt anything would be an improvement from Garrett. And an experienced proven SB winner was definitely what many ordered or had hoped for .

In many ways we are in a better place . 3 straight 12 win seasons. A couple division titles and first time since 90’s 3 consecutive playoff appearances. But only 1 playoff win and still no championship game appearances .

It appears we have built an overall better or more talented team. But the disappointment and frustration in playoffs continues.

So, what is your take. Are we in a better place with McCarthy than 4 years ago?
Until Jerry steps down, I don't know what HC can have any success.