Are we in a better place with McCarthy?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I can't remember...did anyone else get an interview with Cowboys before deciding on hiring McCarthy?
I will state yes. His first season as HC was bad due to the injury to their QB. Since then team has been successful consistently. But the early playoff exits overshadow them.
The only person I remember interviewing was Marvin Lewis.

Creeper

Reaction score
Better than who? or what? We are certainly better off than we were with Carrot Top. But at this point, what difference does it make? We went into this off season with 2 glaring weaknesses. What did the Cowboys do to fix those weaknesses? I do not believe for a minute the problem was resolved by getting Zimmer as a defensive coordinator. Basically, the front office did nothing. Sure they drafted. But everyone drafted. There has never been a team in NFL history that skipped the draft because they didn't want to add players. But what else did they do? They let a bunch of guys leave. Signed no one to replace most of them. And ignored free agency like they were risking their lives if they dipped into it.

The Cowboys will have a worse season in 2024 and Jerry will blame McCarthy. But it is not McCarthy's fault. Jerry "all in" Jones and his mini-me chose to do nothing. Not even extend their own players. The conjecture is they are planning to blow-up the roster in 2025 when they will have over $100 million in CAP space. For a team that refuses to spend in free agency, that seems pretty silly. Then again I have no better explanation than that for why they did nothing so far.

To me there is only 1 question about Mike McCarthy worth asking. And that is, why is he still willing to work for Jerry when it is obvious he is being set up to fail?

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Better than who? or what? We are certainly better off than we were with Carrot Top. But at this point, what difference does it make? We went into this off season with 2 glaring weaknesses. What did the Cowboys do to fix those weaknesses? I do not believe for a minute the problem was resolved by getting Zimmer as a defensive coordinator. Basically, the front office did nothing. Sure they drafted. But everyone drafted. There has never been a team in NFL history that skipped the draft because they didn't want to add players. But what else did they do? They let a bunch of guys leave. Signed no one to replace most of them. And ignored free agency like they were risking their lives if they dipped into it.

The Cowboys will have a worse season in 2024 and Jerry will blame McCarthy. But it is not McCarthy's fault. Jerry "all in" Jones and his mini-me chose to do nothing. Not even extend their own players. The conjecture is they are planning to blow-up the roster in 2025 when they will have over $100 million in CAP space. For a team that refuses to spend in free agency, that seems pretty silly. Then again I have no better explanation than that for why they did nothing so far.

To me there is only 1 question about Mike McCarthy worth asking. And that is, why is he still willing to work for Jerry when it is obvious he is being set up to fail?
Because he’s under contract for one more season. He can’t go anywhere else.

Flinger

Reaction score
Mac built a stronger franchise than Garrett, especially on all three sides - OFF, DEF and ST.

If team had at least made a game of the GB matchup, I would probably support one more year. Entire team wasn’t ready, and that 12-5 record looks hollow now.

Even the Bucs moved on from Tony Dungy to get to a Super Bowl.
An ex-player for the Cowboys in the 60's who played in the Ice Bowl and still works for the NFL with International promotion - and, was head of player acquisition for the Eagles for about 10 years... (Oh - a fantastic human being who is a very good friend - strong devoted Christian who credits Landry for building his faith)... told me last year a couple of weeks after the game...
  • No coach could have overcome what the Cowboys were facing due to injuries and incompentence of the Front Office.
  • Entering the game, MM knew they had no answers in the running game to get tough yards - he knew they would become predictable
  • Entering the game, MM knew they had no middle linebacker to stop the run due to the incompentency in the FO
  • Entering the game, MM knew they were weak at DT to stop the run due to the incompentency of the FO - reliance on a rookie is not a good strategy
  • Entering the game, MM knew they had undersized linebackers and even DT's. DQ knew that. Both knew if the DE's couldn't get there it would be a long day
  • Entering the game, MM knew they had key injuries that DQ was trying to hide, but couldn't. Said a key that no one is talking about is the injury to Gilmore the week before. He couldn't use his arm due to serious shoulder injury - everyone knew his game is to punch and run, but everyone knew he couldn't punch therefore allowing WR's to run wide open. Diggs out. Van der Esch out. Gilmore wounded. Hankins was injured and didn't practice all week.Tyler Smith was injured, but played.
Basically - it was a perfect storm. In his mind, there was nothing MM could have done. The injuries were too much to overcome. The FO incompentency was too much to overcome. They couldn't run and they couldn't stop the run. And, when Green Bay passed, they know Gilmore wouldn't be able to cover.

One other thing - my friend's wife is very well connected with players - current and of old (they are in their 70's). She said this generation of players are completely different than the older gen players - and, quietly, it appears the Cowboys were flat due to some partying the night before the game... just speculation. But, no longer are the days when the head coach can enforce a "lights out" curfew the night before a game - especially a home game.

The problem is not the head coach.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
This is Mike's record after 4 years.......

DAL20206100.3753rd in NFC East
DAL20211250.7061st in NFC East01.000Lost to San Francisco 49ers in NFC Wild Card Game
DAL20221250.7062nd in NFC East11.500Lost to San Francisco 49ers in NFC Divisional Game
DAL20231250.7061st in NFC East01.000Lost to Green Bay Packers in NFC Wild Card Game

This is Garrett's

DAL*2010530.6253rd in NFC East
DAL2011880.5003rd in NFC East
DAL2012880.5003rd in NFC East
DAL2013880.5002nd in NFC East
DAL20141240.7501st in NFC East11.500Lost to Green Bay Packers in NFC Divisional Game

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I think we are in a better place with McCarthy in general, I think he is a very good HC, but ultimately if this squad still can't get playoff wins either the coach or GM should be on the hot seat....and we all know one of those wont happen.

Where I don't believe that we are in a better place with McCarthy is having him play out his contract. The history of coaches on expiring contracts isn't good. This is more of a GM issue than a HC issue though.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s always the best measurement of a HC or any Mgmt or leadership. Are we in a better place than when you arrived?
I have a better question. Has he accomplished the goal he was hired for? NO.

He wasn't hired to put the Cowboys in a better place. Just the brutal truth.

There is a reason he should have been fired in January. We've seen all the evidence that we need to see.

Brax

Reaction score
That’s always the best measurement of a HC or any Mgmt or leadership. Are we in a better place than when you arrived?

There’s probably an argument to be made for both sides .

When MM came in most fans felt anything would be an improvement from Garrett. And an experienced proven SB winner was definitely what many ordered or had hoped for .

In many ways we are in a better place . 3 straight 12 win seasons. A couple division titles and first time since 90’s 3 consecutive playoff appearances. But only 1 playoff win and still no championship game appearances .

It appears we have built an overall better or more talented team. But the disappointment and frustration in playoffs continues.

So, what is your take. Are we in a better place with McCarthy than 4 years ago?
No not in a better place, 3 seasons used KM Offense still using a good majority of it, brought in MN as DC well we know how that worked out, DQ a JJ hire. Better place no, JG was a coach of the year and I thought he sucked. MM benefits from weak schedules and is a horrible game manager and preparation coach. Playoff success is an upgrade. Maybe Jerry put the curse on HCs, you know saying they can be next Tom Landry. Better place no just the same old circus

Brax

Reaction score
An ex-player for the Cowboys in the 60's who played in the Ice Bowl and still works for the NFL with International promotion - and, was head of player acquisition for the Eagles for about 10 years... (Oh - a fantastic human being who is a very good friend - strong devoted Christian who credits Landry for building his faith)... told me last year a couple of weeks after the game...
  • No coach could have overcome what the Cowboys were facing due to injuries and incompentence of the Front Office.
  • Entering the game, MM knew they had no answers in the running game to get tough yards - he knew they would become predictable
  • Entering the game, MM knew they had no middle linebacker to stop the run due to the incompentency in the FO
  • Entering the game, MM knew they were weak at DT to stop the run due to the incompentency of the FO - reliance on a rookie is not a good strategy
  • Entering the game, MM knew they had undersized linebackers and even DT's. DQ knew that. Both knew if the DE's couldn't get there it would be a long day
  • Entering the game, MM knew they had key injuries that DQ was trying to hide, but couldn't. Said a key that no one is talking about is the injury to Gilmore the week before. He couldn't use his arm due to serious shoulder injury - everyone knew his game is to punch and run, but everyone knew he couldn't punch therefore allowing WR's to run wide open. Diggs out. Van der Esch out. Gilmore wounded. Hankins was injured and didn't practice all week.Tyler Smith was injured, but played.
Basically - it was a perfect storm. In his mind, there was nothing MM could have done. The injuries were too much to overcome. The FO incompentency was too much to overcome. They couldn't run and they couldn't stop the run. And, when Green Bay passed, they know Gilmore wouldn't be able to cover.

One other thing - my friend's wife is very well connected with players - current and of old (they are in their 70's). She said this generation of players are completely different than the older gen players - and, quietly, it appears the Cowboys were flat due to some partying the night before the game... just speculation. But, no longer are the days when the head coach can enforce a "lights out" curfew the night before a game - especially a home game.

The problem is not the head coach.
Please name this player source

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes.
For regular season, getting the team in the playoffs. 3 straight 12 win seasons and playoffs. Making the roster better overall.
And they should push for the playoffs again in 2024 and the NFCE champs.

No.
For the playoffs, they seem to fall apart other than the win over TB, which was not the same TB team that won the SB the year before.
At least they made the playoffs 3 years in a row though. Something that has not happened since the 90's.

Playoff wins, as well getting to the SB was what he was brought in for. I can't say that I wanted him gone after the GB debacle. But if they did replace him, I would have been ok with that also.

However, the direction they are going now with the 1 year left on the coaching staff, as well quite a few players. Really makes a fan wonder the direction going forward is.

Flinger

Reaction score
Please name this player source
Sorry - can't... he does not want me to share his name... but man - I really wish he would... he has incredible stories of the past. Very humble man. He played for the Cowboys from 1967 (played in the infamous Ice Bowl) to 1969 and was traded to Chicago, then Miami... then landed in player aquisition - staying in the NFL.

A truly great man. A honorable man. A gentleman.

His wife is a force. Meet her in the day as a flight attendant. She dated Calvin Hill before my guy and OJ tried to date her... dodged a bullet there...lol... fell in love with my guy... been married around 50 years... 2 daughters who are doctors... Amazing family. Incredible lives...

The two were best friends with Walt Garrison and this wife... where so sad at his death last year (I think)...

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mike should have been fired with his buddy Nolan in his first season. That should have told you everything you need to know. This guy was laughed out of green bay, nobody wanted him, and Jerry found a new pawn.
BYE Mike

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

There’s probably an argument to be made for both sides .

When MM came in most fans felt anything would be an improvement from Garrett. And an experienced proven SB winner was definitely what many ordered or had hoped for .

In many ways we are in a better place . 3 straight 12 win seasons. A couple division titles and first time since 90’s 3 consecutive playoff appearances. But only 1 playoff win and still no championship game appearances .

It appears we have built an overall better or more talented team. But the disappointment and frustration in playoffs continues.

So, what is your take. Are we in a better place with McCarthy than 4 years ago?
The team is talented in the glamour positions but has been weak where it counts. I like MM but that he deserves some blame for that. How much who knows because we really don’t know if he tried to improve those weaknesses. And the complete meltdown against GB is certainly partly MM’s fault. Whomever hired Quinn deserves a lot of blame.

Flinger

Reaction score
The team is talented in the glamour positions but has been weak where it counts. I like MM but that he deserves some blame for that. How much who knows because we really don’t know if he tried to improve those weaknesses. And the complete meltdown against GB is certainly partly MM’s fault. Whomever hired Quinn deserves a lot of blame.
How is MM to blame for player aquisition? Players play. Coaches coach. The players didn't play well. Injuries were a big part - before the game, during the game and during the season. Front Office didn't provide the resources to fill the gaps. Bench wasn't deep enough.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Well, they drafted high picks on the offensive line on to mammoth players with attitude. They fired the DC and hired a proven NFL DC in Zimmer. They drafted a run stopping DE in the 2nd round. They brought Zeke back who will help in short yardage situations. They’ve got 2 starters on defense coming back from injuries last year and training camp hasn’t even started. They still need to address RB and DT and not sure how they’re going to do that.

LOBO7

Reaction score
GB 27 DAL 0 2ND QTR
No one was ready at kick off.
Thats on McCarthy. Should have been fired that day.
No we are not better off, still soft against good teams.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
How is MM to blame for player aquisition? Players play. Coaches coach. The players didn't play well. Injuries were a big part - before the game, during the game and during the season. Front Office didn't provide the resources to fill the gaps. Bench wasn't deep enough.
I don’t know if he is or not. He may have in the past wanted to draft or acquire some talent to improve the DT position or others and JJ said no. Who knows.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the measuring stick is Jason Garrett, the answer is a simple yes.

Garrett went on to flame out in a year and a half as an offensive coordinator. Now the guy can’t get another coaching job.

If you’re still “unsure”, I’d say you’re being willfully ignorant.