Are we really trying to win now or build for the future?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What do you call it when you have one of the best QBs in the entire league and you miss the playoffs 5 out of 6 years?

I call it a league where you need to do more than just pass the ball effectively yourself. You also have to stop the other guy from passing it effectively. Other than last season, where the injuries caught up, the latter has been the problem.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I call it a league where you need to do more than just pass the ball effectively yourself. You also have to stop the other guy from passing it effectively. Other than last season, where the injuries caught up, the latter has been the problem.

Our number one problem is lack of pass rush. Denver lead the league in sacks and won the SB because they knocked the crap out of Cam. We on the other hand, were one of the worst sacks teams in the league and we were dead last in sacks in 4th quarter and OT.

And this is not a one year anomaly, under Garret the team has never been a big sack leader. Considering that Garrett has been the head coach for 6 1/2 seasons, at some point it is on him to fix the pass rush.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Our number one problem last season was a hurt Romo and Dez. We easily win the NFC East with those two healthy.

Sure. But once in the playoffs, the lack of a pass rush would have come to fruition, just like it did in 2014.

Making the playoffs is not that big of a deal, even though we have only done it a few times in the past couple of decades.

If you can keep your team's talent level above water, and you have a decent QB, you really have no excuses to not qualify for at least a wildcard.

If you don't, then there are coaching issues which ahem we don't want to discuss.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Are we really trying to win now or build for the future? because to me honestly as i sit and really think about where we are and how far we got to go as a team taking personal feeling out of it, so if we are really trying to win now then in my mind we've already created a formula in todays game that worked for us and our team the way it is structured and thats the 2014 formula which is run more keep tony from having to make the plays all the time.. Elliot would seem to be the best bet imo because Elliott can score if he get to the open field which is something i look for now a days considering tony and taken some of the burden off him so much................

imo he can save Romo from himself and maybe he can play a whole 16 games (not banking on it tho).. so to me if we are being honest wouldnt Elliott be the best choice for us in the long run for win now mentality? because to me yea yea i understand u can find a good back in the later rounds but normally they are just that, good nothing special so the way i see it u got Dez here Beasley there whoever on outside hopefully and upgrade more consistent wr and an ELITE Oline with that kid behind it after seeing what he did to Alabama Def, which is the closest thing you'll see on a college level to an NFL Defense, he's rookie of the year in my opinion..........

Whats wrong with having an Elite type back behind this line because a good back is all he's gonna be most likely is just good why not have a potential top tier rb behind this really really good oline im thinking about win now (still got to get a lil better in pass blocking but they r developing) .. Because I'm sorry Bosa at 4 history tells me he's not gonna get sacks like that 1st year hardly any rookie pass rushers come out poppin in the NFL like that ........... so thats my question take feelings and ur pet cat and the # 4 pick out of it because to me ur no longer paying these top 10 picks 50 mill 40 mill contracts...

side note i am a fan of Henry so i wouldnt be to mad if we got Bosa (even tho im not a fan of Bosa) if you can guarantee we will getrb Henry in 2nd or end of round 1 cause i think he would be really good in our system too.... thats the only way id agree with that if we are trying to win now

sorry for the long post when i got to typing so much of my reasons of why i feel like this came out and i wanted to be clear where im coming from as an overall just want to know how do yall feel about it

Teams that win are always planning ahead.

Going for it all once every 5 years is no way to live.

Good teams make consistent, smart decisions.

It's why NE/Pitt and others have won a lot over a long period of time.

plasticman

Reaction score
20 of the top 25 RB's in NFL history were #1 draft picks. 16 of them were a top 10 pick overall.

The top 3 RB's in Cowboy history were #1 draft picks.

Yes, you can find good RB's in every round.....if you are extremely lucky. Does that sound like the Dallas Cowboys?

Even if the Cowboys are lucky.....such as picking Murray in the 3rd round......they may not recognize the extent of that luck.

Are the Cowboys building for the future or for now? Well, their philosophy was supposed to be both. You draft players that can contribute today but have the potential to get better in the future.

However, Jerry Jones has been pondering his mortality lately. The future is now when you are not assured of a future later.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Are we really trying to win now or build for the future? because to me honestly as i sit and really think about where we are and how far we got to go as a team taking personal feeling out of it, so if we are really trying to win now then in my mind we've already created a formula in todays game that worked for us and our team the way it is structured and thats the 2014 formula which is run more keep tony from having to make the plays all the time.. Elliot would seem to be the best bet imo because Elliott can score if he get to the open field which is something i look for now a days considering tony and taken some of the burden off him so much................

imo he can save Romo from himself and maybe he can play a whole 16 games (not banking on it tho).. so to me if we are being honest wouldnt Elliott be the best choice for us in the long run for win now mentality? because to me yea yea i understand u can find a good back in the later rounds but normally they are just that, good nothing special so the way i see it u got Dez here Beasley there whoever on outside hopefully and upgrade more consistent wr and an ELITE Oline with that kid behind it after seeing what he did to Alabama Def, which is the closest thing you'll see on a college level to an NFL Defense, he's rookie of the year in my opinion..........

Whats wrong with having an Elite type back behind this line because a good back is all he's gonna be most likely is just good why not have a potential top tier rb behind this really really good oline im thinking about win now (still got to get a lil better in pass blocking but they r developing) .. Because I'm sorry Bosa at 4 history tells me he's not gonna get sacks like that 1st year hardly any rookie pass rushers come out poppin in the NFL like that ........... so thats my question take feelings and ur pet cat and the # 4 pick out of it because to me ur no longer paying these top 10 picks 50 mill 40 mill contracts...

side note i am a fan of Henry so i wouldnt be to mad if we got Bosa (even tho im not a fan of Bosa) if you can guarantee we will getrb Henry in 2nd or end of round 1 cause i think he would be really good in our system too.... thats the only way id agree with that if we are trying to win now

sorry for the long post when i got to typing so much of my reasons of why i feel like this came out and i wanted to be clear where im coming from as an overall just want to know how do yall feel about it

I clearly think you are correct.

Our team will not succeed as long as we do not have the RB in place to spread the offensive threat and aid the QB.

And when we look at teams we need to beat if we are going to return to competing for titles..

such as the Packers and Denver or Carolina or others..

they have RBs that have defined their offenses and anchor what the rest of the offense can do.

Our own history of success shows the same thing..

Dorsett, Don Perkins, Hershel Walker, Danny Reeves, Duane Thomas, Calvin Hill, Ron Springs, Preston Pearson, DeMarco Murray...

Without the guy who can run the rock with definition..

we will not win.

Time to draft him.

I take Elliott and move on.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Because 2016 hasn't played out. I hope this is last shot.

2014 was a "shot"
But then I thought they would build on that for 2015 run. Didn't happen.

Not only did the team not build on 2014 they followed it up with their worst season since 1989. With Romo aging and coming off an injury plagued season and with all the holes the team has defensively 2014 was very likely his last shot at a championship. Without a consistent running and a solid defense Romo was back having to carry the team in the opener. It's going to take a great draft with at least 2 players making a significant impact to keep the team from having a 500 season or worse in 2016.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Not only did the team not build on 2014 they followed it up with their worst season since 1989. With Romo aging and coming off an injury plagued season and with all the holes the team has defensively 2014 was very likely his last shot at a championship. Without a consistent running and a solid defense Romo was back having to carry the team in the opener. It's going to take a great draft with at least 2 players making a significant impact to keep the team from having a 500 season or worse in 2016.

Agreed.

What we all feared was placing the load back on Romo once Dez went down and he folded like a tent.

And there are no players we will bring in on defense that will change that.

We can use every draft pick and FA contract to add to the defense..

but if we have no running attack to go with the passing attack..

all the defensive ads are only going to lower the point differential at the end of the game..

not add any number of wins truely..

Maybe 2 or 3..but that is not enough.

Therefore..I think a top RB at #1..

a top WR to help the passing game at #2..

and defense with the rest of the draft and FA.

I have my doubts about how Dez is going to recover from 2 operations on his wheels.

Terrence Williams can not carry the passing attack and Witten will be triple covered.

Help the offense first as they have to carry any hope of actually winning.

Weaponize them for Romo"s ride into the sunset.