Are we so much better than 2014, 2016, 2007?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson is now a talking head. Hes just like all the other media types who are now LOVING the Cowboys because they see their ratings exploding when the Cowboys play like this.
Yea, to me it’s bad luck to be already hyping this Cowboy team to a SB. The fall is just going to be harder.

They’ll all be looking for scapegoats.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
It's not that they are better per se.

It's the mental toughness. The attitude. Playing as a team. Relying on one another. Expecting good play from one another. From what I've seen, this team plays every snap like it's the last snap they are ever gonna get. They simply expect to be in a position to win in the end regardless. And they generally are.

You have to go all the way back to the Cowboys teams of the 70s to get the feeling I get from this team. Even the teams of the 90s had some pretty severe prima donnas on it.

The Cowboys teams of the 90s were famous for their "swagger". This is a much more working class, grind it out, do your job team. They project confidence, preparation, and just being "ready".

Very refreshing.

lol all so subjective. Mental toughness? Attitude? playing as a team???????
Let this team win back to back SB titles and lets see if they have that same swagger. By the way, I think that swagger is a good thing.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
That 2014 team was closet IMO of reaching a championship game. And that offense was the most effective with Murray pounding the rock and not relying so heavily on Romo.

And we were basically a bad call away from reaching our first championship game this era. That to me was the most heartbreaking loss this era.

After I attended that Lion playoff win I truly thought that team had a good shot to break thru. My favorite team this era.

Unfortunately Romo and those Triplets never took the field together again. I really thought that core could be a force for several years to come .
I was at the Packer game. It was crushing and if it happened today, that would be ruled a catch. Thats how close the difference is between winning and losing.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I dont have a bias..just a disdain for JG..if that makes your point, your welcome.
Absolutely it does.

I hate JG.. thus this team is better than any team in the past 20 years... bahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahah. Even last years Mike McCarthy team was better than any JG coached team... because I hate JG...lol

quickccc

Reaction score
We won't know that we are really any better than the 2007, ..2014 ...or 2016 team ..until we prove it come Playoff time.

- That's when all the hype,.. all the fireworks,.. all the sensationalism and Cinderella stories in regular season, does not matter when all the season- stakes are on the line.

- You either beat Aaron Rodgers (per 2014 and 2016) .. or you get beat by Aaron Rodgers, and you are sent home to watch the SB in the living room,.

- Opponents try to scheme and expose your flaws and tendencies at playoff time - just as it's assumed we will try have our scheme against the Rodgers, Murray, Brady, Stafford, and Wilson.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I wasnt going there. I wasnt looking at the rest of the NFC. I wasnt trying to say what this team MIGHT due compared to what we know the others did. I was simply trying to point out the ridiculousness of saying this current team is so much better than the others AFTER LOOKING AT ALL 4 TEAMS AFTER 7 GAMES. I get it, we are all excited, and recency bias is a real thing. Thats why I pointed out the numbers.
Some Cowboy fans are just so desperate to become a serious contender . They don’t realize we’ve had similar type teams this era as you have pointed out accurately.

But they’ll still want to argue this looks or feels differently. In the end the success we have in the playoffs will determine .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Absolutely it does.

I hate JG.. thus this team is better than any team in the past 20 years... bahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahah. Even last years Mike McCarthy team was better than any JG coached team... because I hate JG...lol
Yea I said from the get go that some fans would enjoy the disappointment of losing in playoffs more with McC than JG. Lol

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Absolutely it does.

those teams all had talent..and should have done something. There was only 1 common denominator in the incredible let downs...right? The thing is its no secret JG would not change plans during a game....Is this roster better than those probably not...but this team looks better so far and thats coaching staff related.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Yea I said from the get go that some fans would enjoy the disappointment of losing in playoffs more with McC than JG. Lol

So that insinuates that if they dont win a SB then its a let down for MM. But I'll ask you this, do you feel like the JG staff gave those rosters the same chance to win (just see the Rams playoff game) as this one has? Again we can all say cool your jets and be on the right side of the line because its the halfway point. But it is not in any way far fetched to say "I see a diference in HOW this team plays compared to when JG was here"....again you dont have to agree but most analyst paid to watch tape would tell you this.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
those teams all had talent..and should have done something. There was only 1 common denominator in the incredible let downs...right? The thing is its no secret JG would not change plans during a game....Is this roster better than those probably not...but this team looks better so far and thats coaching staff related.

Im up for the discussion. AFTER 7 games, how does this team look better than 2014? 2016... ok, Ill give you. Rookie Dak was absolutely a bus driver, unlike the Dak we have today.
In 2014 we opened up with a BAD beat down at home to the Niners. That team was crucified in the media. I specifically remember on ESPN hearing how this might be the worst defense in the past 20 years. You dont think the team didnt hear all that talk? Then they went out and won their next 6 games, including in Seattle stopping there very long home win streak.

I just dont see how anyone can come out and say AFTER 7 games this team is so much better. We needed OT to be a 4-4 Pats team.

Big_D

Reaction score
Absolutely it does.

.. and the end result was crap. And no one was ever surprised by it. Even if Dez catches the ball there's 2 more games to win. lmao Not that difficult to figure out. You bring up 2007 a team that should've been on the way up instead fizzled out in a year. JG sucked and McCarthy already makes today's team better. Thats the difference. An actual coach instead of a puppet. Competition at every level on defense. Young and up and coming talent. accountability... adjustments, preparation. Are you seriously asking this question? It's hilarious after the past decade and a half of waiting for the Heimlich maneuver on a regular basis.

You're only fooling yourself!

And lets not forget the rash of injuries and suspensions that would've devastated those Garrett coached teams.

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score
The 07 team had more talent. It’s not really close to be honest. But the hope is this team is tougher and mentally stronger.

i don't get as frustrated with the 2007 team ..as it was the same Giants team that pulled off an SB upset over high powered scoring Tom Brady Pats team. i eventually got over it more than the
other playoff games.

- But the 2014 team,.. no pass rush vs one legged Rodgers - did not throw him off his game, and AR rallied a drive to finish us.

- 2016 team - no pass rush, .rallied up a huge half time lead, despite our big effort to comeback to cut lead down in last minute of the game . but a failure by defense (ala Byron Jones at FS) to stop Rodgers on final drive , en route to game winning FG.

it wasn't like the superlative 2007, 2014 or 2016 teams, ..but i was so deflated with the 2009 Romo vs Vikes team that led to a blowout loss to Favre-led Vikes
as well as Rams running ball down our throat for almost 300 yards rushing. and fat CJ Anderson taking a seat on our bench in a taunt mode.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
So that insinuates that if they dont win a SB then its a let down for MM. But I'll ask you this, do you feel like the JG staff gave those rosters the same chance to win (just see the Rams playoff game) as this one has? Again we can all say cool your jets and be on the right side of the line because its the halfway point. But it is not in any way far fetched to say "I see a diference in HOW this team plays compared to when JG was here"....again you dont have to agree but most analyst paid to watch tape would tell you this.
So you pull the Rams game out? They just flat ran the ball down our throat. How bout the 2 losses to the Packers in 2014 and 16. It wasnt the game plan that lost those games. DeMarco Murray's fumble on what should have been a long touchdown cost us that game... not a game plan.

2016, Jeff Heath had a blind side sack on that last drive and instead of stripping the ball, he was content to get a sack. Then we know Rodgers had that 3rd and 55 to go and completed a miraculous pass. Was that game plan that cost us the game.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s all hype. Nothing more. I refuse to get all caught up in it. Until late January .

Regardless how good we think we are there are a few other teams as good or better and with more proven playoff experience in our way. I’d be more apt to lean on them advancing than us.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
.. and the end result was crap. And no one was ever surprised by it. Even if Dez catches the ball there's 2 more games to win. lmao Not that difficult to figure out. You bring up 2007 a team that should've been on the way up instead fizzled out in a year. JG sucked and McCarthy already makes today's team better. Thats the difference. An actual coach instead of a puppet. Competition at every level on defense. Young and up and coming talent. accountability... adjustments, preparation. Are you seriously asking this question? It's hilarious after the past decade and a half of waiting for the Heimlich maneuver on a regular basis.

You're only fooling yourself!
wait..... I just read a few days ago Jerry still calls down to Mike and tells him what to do. Even making the decision on if Dak played against the Vikings. Isnt Mike a "Puppet?"

And you are looking at end of year results. Im comparing all these teams AFTER 7 games.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Im up for the discussion. AFTER 7 games, how does this team look better than 2014? 2016... ok, Ill give you. Rookie Dak was absolutely a bus driver, unlike the Dak we have today.
In 2014 we opened up with a BAD beat down at home to the Niners. That team was crucified in the media. I specifically remember on ESPN hearing how this might be the worst defense in the past 20 years. You dont think the team didnt hear all that talk? Then they went out and won their next 6 games, including in Seattle stopping there very long home win streak.

I just dont see how anyone can come out and say AFTER 7 games this team is so much better. We needed OT to be a 4-4 Pats team.

I'm not arguing the roster is better, I do feel like this coaching staff gives us a less chance to be outcoached in a playoff game based off what they have done with the games so far...they have faced adversity and won by outcoaching teams on both sides of the ball. Again all thos teams had great rosters also....I just have a better feeling we are not out manned at the headset now.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
It’s all hype. Nothing more. I refuse to get all caught up in it. Until late January .

Regardless how good we think we are there are a few other teams as good or better and with more proven playoff experience in our way. I’d be more apt to lean on them advancing than us.

Thats fine and totally within reason....the question was why would anyone give this team a better shot than the others and my reason is the coaching staff.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Thats fine and totally within reason....the question was why would anyone give this team a better shot than the others and my reason is the coaching staff.
But that’s purely a speculative opinion. One I could see a valid argument. I’m not saying this team doesn’t look formidable. And can see they could be a tough out.

We were a tough out in those other seasons in playoffs as well coming down to last possessions.

Im not prematurely waving any SB banners yet. I see some more proven coaches, QB’s and teams awaiting in the playoffs.

In the end the result will determine final analysis.