Are we the team to beat in the NFC East?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
We were the division champs last season. Everyone especially the media tends to paint the narrative that every move the teams in the NFC East are making, are to beat the Cowboys. Now we know these teams only play the cowboys twice, and they play whatever teams they have on their schedule. This can't only be about the Cowboys, or can it? Have we made enough moves to win the NFC East again? Please give your thoughts

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
isn't every team the team to beat when you're playing them?

if you mean best in the division - highly debatable. if we are its only because of last years rankings, not this years potential.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Tough call but maybe. The only other favorite you can put forth is Philly but after last years monumental collapse and the disaster their locker room seemed to be it's hard to say they will be enough better than the team that lost 6 of their last 7 games when it mattered most last year and now lost Kelce and Cox who were leaders on and off the field to offset some of what they added. Basically the division stinks.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Tough to really say. Personally I would go with Philly, but they have their own issues from 2023 they need to bounce back from as well. With the Cowboys I just think there are too many questions to crown them as the team to beat. I like their draft, but its fair to question how plug and play ready these guys are. How does the personnel on defense align with what Zimmer wants to do? I mean we basically handed him DQs players + Kendricks. Will there be locker room drama with the lack of contracts being handed out? All these free agents on 1 year deals, coaching staff on 1 year deals...your QB still on a 1 year deal. Can a guy like Steele bounce back another year removed from injury? Is it realistic to expect much from Diggs/Overshown?

Tough to say that anyone is the 'team to beat" in this division this year. My heart would never allow it, but if I weren't a fan this would be a division I would throw a small amount of cash on one of the long shots to win it. This may be one of those years where you have 4 teams just racing to get to 10 wins for the division instead of a 12-13 game champion which gives the other teams a punchers chance if they come out swinging.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Hard to tell right now. I would say the Eagles are the favorite. The Commanders and Giants both got better. Dallas is probably number 2. They won’t win 5 games out of the division this year.

Sydla

Reaction score
I mean as the reigning champs, sure.

But are we the best team, at least on paper right now? I'd say no. Philly collapsed last season but did everything in their power to significantly improve their roster and fix some clear weaknesses. We, as the division champs, basically did the bare minimum this offseason while our owners cried about being cap poor. You'd be hard pressed to find any unbiased observer/pundit that would claim right now that we have the better the roster and did more this offseason to address our clear needs.

Who knows what can happen come the 2024. Shoot, maybe the Commanders find lightning in a bottle and make a run.

Redline360

Reaction score
Tough to say.

Eagles...Talented team overall with their secondary being trash at end of season. They also fell apart as a team too. Will be tough to beat if the secondary help they picked up plays well and if Hurts hasn't lost the team.

Washington....All dependent on QB play but talented

Giants....yea still a disaster

All depends if the Eagles have put it back together and how well Washington's QB will play. We could very well win the division again

Fmart322

Reaction score
Well, we were the NFC East Champs, so yeah.
Until they get overthrown they are the team to beat.

jujoboys

Reaction score
Eagles have the best talent but Sirianni completely lost that team at the end of last year. They were abysmal. Can the changes at the DC and OC help them rebound? I believe they have the most talent in the NFC East but if they start stumbling again how do they respond? I think Sirianni's seat is about as hot as McCarthy's right now. Dallas has the toughest schedule (playing the first place division schedule) and they will, rely on a lot of rookies and 2nd year guys stepping up. I give the Eagles the edge over the Cowboys right now. I think Washington leap frogs over the Giants. I have zero faith in Daniel Jones and he is coming back from a major injury. I am just hoping that new Washington QB doesn't end up being a stud. If he plays lights out this year then Washington is going to be tough with all of their additions.

SackMaster

Reaction score
I don't expect the Cowboys to win the NFC East this year as there hasn't been a repeat NFC East Champion since 2004.

So unless Dallas can break a 20 year trend, another team will win the East. My only questions are:
  • Will the Eagles epic collapse in 2023 continue in 2024?
  • Does Dan Quinn motivate the Commanders enough to be contenders in the East?
  • Can the Giants overcome Daniel Jones and win the Division?
It will be an interesting year in 2024. The NFC East might not be a Top Division, but I expect it to be a dog fight for the Top Spot.

JMHO

Ken

Reaction score
We were the division champs last season. Everyone especially the media tends to paint the narrative that every move the teams in the NFC East are making, are to beat the Cowboys. Now we know these teams only play the cowboys twice, and they play whatever teams they have on their schedule. This can't only be about the Cowboys, or can it? Have we made enough moves to win the NFC East again? Please give your thoughts
Yes we are the team to beat in the NFC East.

The Eagles made a lot of moves...both in coaching and players. Are they better though? i don't think so.

They lost some of their best players...Kelce was an absolute problem in the middle of their line...they will regress there big time. Cox was one of their best players on defense. Reddick was their biggest pass rush threat and one of the better defenders in the league.

Scheme change on offense to Kellen "I pass pass pass" Moore. Remains to be seen what he can do with Hurts as his passing is what is his achilies.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
YES, we are.

I go by what ever team won the division the previous year, are still the team to beat. As last year I said Philly was the tam to beat. And we were close enough to do it, and did.
Unless there are significant changes to make me think otherwise. I don't think Philly improved that much nor did we fall that much to say they are the favorites.
As it is all on paper for now.

NYG and Washington did not improve enough either. Though I think Washington seems to have improved the most.

Dallas, Philly pretty much equal, Washington, then NYG.