CZ POLL Are you happy with the Cowboys drafting LB Micah Parsons with the 12th pick?

Are you happy with the Cowboys drafting LB Micah Parsons with the 12th pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
There really should be middle option for these polls. I think the Cowboys made the best of a bad situation once the two CBs went off the board and bonus points for moving down to pick up the extra 3rd round pick. I also think Parsons has the opportunity to be a very good player. I'm not trilled with taking an off ball LB this high or the fact that he opted out last year.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I wanted one of the two CBs, Sewell or Pitts.
Neither were there for us to take and I did not want to spend the price to move up and get one.

So what was left I wanted Slater or Parsons. We got Parsons and a trade down. I don't care the eagles got D.Smith because if we did not trade with them, the giants would have taken him.

What I dislike in all of this is that there were not Legit DE or DTs worthy of the pick.
:hammer:

Ekspozed

Reaction score
We got the best defensive player in the draft on one of the worst cowboys defenses in history after 2 straight years of people crying about our linebackers.

That's a yes for me.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
The extra pick is the secret sauce. If just Parsons at 12, I would definitely not be happy. With the extra pick and Jabril falling in our lap, Parsons has some learning curve leeway he wouldn't have had otherwise.
However, if the concerns about him turn into real issues, not even those things will make it a good pick.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Even though they are lying about him being their number one target
Fisher said the same thing until Jerry told him for 1000 he would take him to the war room and show him they had Parsons ranked 6. Most of the time Jerry is just saying it but Fisher believes him this time

kskboys

Reaction score
Yes! easy answer .......in fact, I probably would have selected this kid even with Horn and Surtain avail. Why........this kid/selection makes an immediate impact on our run defense, the worst in the league.
We had the rare chance to get a game changer at 12. Absolutely amazing.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, the best defensive player in the draft.
However, many wanted Horn or Surtain, including myself. But out of the teams control they went before we drafted.
Could you imagine in one or both were there along with Parsons, and they still took Parsons. A trade down would have happened still, as they were going to get one of the 3.

Anyway, it worked out, we got both a LB and a CB, with big needs, and got starters at both.
Which is what most wanted, to get 2 starters and some depth.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Was a great pick considering jaycee horn was off the board.

I mean the extra 3rd round pick was icing on top

Clarke82

Reaction score
My only reservation is the fact that he opted out last year.

We don't know if his commitment will be there or if the year off will stunt his growth.

I have been studying the draft since 1982 and I can say without hesitation that Micah Parsons has all the tools to be great.

Dak_N_Zeke

Reaction score
I normally would be against taking a LB this early. I don't believe in taking one in the 1st round unless it's an outside pass rusher.

However, they clearly decided they were going defense, and I give them a ton of credit for pulling off the trade back and still getting the best defensive player available.

Between this guy, Cox, LVE, and Smith, we should be completely set at LB this year. And it helps us big time cap wise because LVE and Smith are both goners now after this year, unless something drastically changes.

I wanted Surtain II, but definitely not in a trade-up, so they did the best they could. I voted yes.

Creeper

Reaction score
I really do not think Parsons is going to move the needle very much at all for this defense. Don't get me wrong, he looks to be a very good player. But LB is a position that succeeds or fails based on the play of the DL. I don't think LVE suddenly became a bad player, or Jaylon Smith for that matter. But, like Parsons, had great college highlight videos. I think the Cowboys DL does not protect the LBs from offensive linemen getting out and blocking them.

My first choice would have been to trade down further if possible. I would have loved the deal the Giants wade with Chicago. Then at 20 they could have taken Newsome or Stokes, or even Farley. If they couldn't work out a trade down, then I would have taken Slater, who would bolster the Cowboys OL more than Parsons will help the defense.

conner01

Reaction score
I don’t think anyone had Horn and Surtain going 8th and 9th, so the Cowboys had to act fast and make a decision that may have even caught them a bit off guard because I really don’t feel like they felt like they’d have to move up to 7th or 8th to ‘reach’ for a corner (trust me... people on the board & media would’ve lost their crap and DOGGED the Cowboys if they moved up and took one of those 2 corners without hindsight being 20/20 because EVERYONE would’ve said Horn or Surtain would’ve surely been there at pick 10 so why did they move up and “waste” a 2nd or 3rd rounder [at best] to move up - when they “didn’t have to”).

With that being said - they ended up picking a guy that has a real chance to become the greatest linebacker in franchise history (that’s how good this kid could be). To me - It shows that Dan Quinn sees what a lot of us see when it comes to Jaylon Smith and he probably would’ve saved the Cowboys quite a bit of money and cap space had he been the D-coordinator 2 years ago. Parsons will be our Bobby Wagner and he’s bigger, faster, and potentially has better coverage skills than Wagner.

Can you really be mad about this pick considering the circumstances? The way the board fell it came down to Slater and Parsons - so your answer should depend on who you’d rather have on this team. To me Parsons’ size and speed in the middle of the field simply makes this team better than adding an offensive guard.

BTW - Nick Saban wanted Parsons BADLY and Parsons chose Penn State over Alabama.
Actually some did have both being gone
I posted about it the day before the draft as my worst nightmare
I didn’t see it as a given but mostly because this draft didn’t have high end pass rushers, I felt teams would go for coverage

conner01

Reaction score
I normally would be against taking a LB this early. I don't believe in taking one in the 1st round unless it's an outside pass rusher.

However, they clearly decided they were going defense, and I give them a ton of credit for pulling off the trade back and still getting the best defensive player available.

Between this guy, Cox, LVE, and Smith, we should be completely set at LB this year. And it helps us big time cap wise because LVE and Smith are both goners now after this year, unless something drastically changes.

I wanted Surtain II, but definitely not in a trade-up, so they did the best they could. I voted yes.
I get the thinking
I too felt CB was the best pick
But once they were gone it quickly became a no brainer
One good point of LB here was as you pointed out, cap management
People say you can’t pay a QB and still keep talent around him
Well you can if you keep churning guys at other positions when they get expensive
My dream draft would have been a real impact DT but that wasn’t an option
I wanted CB but that option evaporated
We took lemons and made lemonade
Atleast with the first pick
And welcome to the board

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
This is a no brainer. Many fans don't realize Parsons opted out of the 2020 NFL season after a consensus All-American campaign in 2019 during which he notched 10 tackles in six of his final seven games.

In a bowl game performance against Memphis, Parsons exploded for 14 tackles, including two sacks. The site of the game: AT&T Stadium, now Parsons' home. BOOM! "WE ARE PENN STATE"

HungryLion

Reaction score
This is a no brainer. Many fans don't realize Parsons opted out of the 2020 NFL season after a consensus All-American campaign in 2019 during which he notched 10 tackles in six of his final seven games.

In a bowl game performance against Memphis, Parsons exploded for 14 tackles, including two sacks. The site of the game: AT&T Stadium, now Parsons' home. BOOM! "WE ARE PENN STATE"

I agree.

that’s another thing that is hard for people
To kind of remember. The opt out due to covid really kind of changed things.

But Parsons was getting better and better and better his entire time at Penn State.

he want from a guy who never played LB his freshman year. Still led the team in tackles, and then his sophomore year was an all American, winner of best Lb in the Big Ten, and as the season progressed he got better just about every game. His final game,
Against Memphis was his best game of his career.

So you have a guy who is an ELITE athlete.
Has excellent production
And was steadily improving with each game
His college career.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
We had to do something w/ Lee retiring.....And in reality....He's an upgrade. We weren't gonna find an upgrade later in the draft....so I have no problem w/ the pick. And after seeing Jaylon play the week side..and filling the wrong hole on zone runs...time and time again....I don't see how you go wrong w/ this pick. Love the player.....I just hope he doesn't bring off field baggage to the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.