Are you more worried about the offense or defense for this postseason run?

blueblood70

Reaction score
I’m not sure yet. Don’t know how to make a poll after so many years in here, but what’s your takes?
In my opinion the most inconsistent part of our team this year has been the defense particularly the run defense and we're meeting a team that has two really good running backs that if they decide to do with the Buffalo Bills did it could be a long game... So I gotta vote I'm more worried about the defense what I've seen this year is if teams decide to do what Buffalo did and Arizona did and other teams have did if they just are patient and run the ball a lot this defense is gonna have a hard time....

Scotman

Reaction score
Defense. While the running game isn't great right now, our run defense seems to disappear when it's time to get teams off the field. And, believe it or not, I'm worried about Micah. He seems to run out of gas late in the season. Maybe because he's small for the position he's playing. If we want our defense to look like a playoff defense, guys like Micah have to blow up opposing offenses.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Exactly this.

It isn't 1985 any longer and with the rules all geared towards scoring, the concern is how many points the offense score against the elite teams. The D will show up.
I can’t believe people still think defense wins championships haha.

Football is played completely different now days.

blueblood70

Reaction score
The Cowboys are one of only three teams that held their opponents to less than 20 points ten times. They are one of only two teams that held their opponents to 10 points or less six times.

It is the defenses that are inspired by the homefield advantage.

This defense pressures the quarterback constantly, creating mistakes and turnovers.

However, if the offense cannot get things going and stalls out to where the defense is spending too much time on the field, they will grow fatigued and falter.

The offense must be productive and should against this Packer defense. However, with the health of the offensive line you have the possibility of undrafted free agents playing significantly in a playoff game. This is much different than playing against a D-line that is just waiting for the season to end. A playoff defense will be performing at it's highest level and it's difficult to imagine a young, inexperienced backup matching that intensity.

There is also the significance of the running game in the playoffs. You definitely want to control the clock and a reliable running game plays an important role. The Cowboy's running attack is almost a novelty. There is very little power running and that might cost the Cowboys in a close playoff game.

One dimensional offenses rarely get oiut of the divisional round.
Really ??

I see it a different way they built those leads against the lesser teams and the defense has been the problem and the five losses....

they were the better teams against teams that were willing to run the ball and be physical this defense folded and by the way you stay at home well what happened in the Seattle game where was the pressure where was the sacks where were the turnovers where was this big time home defense..

I'm telling you in my opinion I trust the offense more then I do the defense because of what I saw we're not in the regular season anymore where the law averages give you those holding opponents under 20 points that was against inferior teams, that was not playoff caliber teams.. this defense in the five losses were against better teams except for Arizona and they got ran over in every one of those games... Guess what Green Bay does the best they have two running backs that can literally run all day they're big and they're used to running a lot I'm telling you just starting with game one I don't care what happened in the regular season our offense has a better shot at putting up a lot of points against the Green Bay defense but our defense is gonna be a bigger mismatch against that run oriented offense that's what we have to look at not just this regular season or past occurrences in the playoffs I don't trust our defense at all...

blueblood70

Reaction score
Defense. While the running game isn't great right now, our run defense seems to disappear when it's time to get teams off the field. And, believe it or not, I'm worried about Micah. He seems to run out of gas late in the season. Maybe because he's small for the position he's playing. If we want our defense to look like a playoff defense, guys like Micah have to blow up opposing offenses.
Exactly I agree with you that's what I see in the bigger games against teams that are willing to be patient and run the ball not only did they run well but if they do those short Sprint outs on the outside with running backs tight ends screens our defense doesn't hold up very well they give up these long drives they eat up time of possession and I can't believe in here people are saying how great our defense is and they kept the scores down low no those were in games against inferior teams but teams that were patient in recent history we're talking about go back to the Seattle game and that was at home the defense couldn't stop a cold for 58 minutes of that game and then you go back to the Buffalo game and to some extent the Miami game the defense to me is the part I don't trust right now against this particular opponent who can run the football with two dudes... Don't think their head coach hasn't been watching

CCBoy

Reaction score
Hold them to 3 and the Cowboys walk with a win.

slick325

Reaction score
More worried about the offense. If the Cowboys offense starts slow or gets behind early, the team is in trouble and generally doesn't play well or win.

This team is built to play with a lead and score a lot of points. It allows the defense to deal with a one dimensional offense and let those pass rushers and ballhawks make plays. That only happens if the offense is clicking and scores early and often.

Creeper

Reaction score
I just worry, period. First worry is who will be available? Is the plague going to take down anyone else this week?

Then I guess we have to worry about the defense. Can they stop a quality offense when it counts in a close game. They couldn't stop Miami or Detroit. If we get into a close game, and they lead by one score will they be able to stop their opponent from scoring in the last two minutes? My confidence level is under 10% right now.

I think the offense will be okay at home. But man they are capable of committing stupid penalties at the worst times. They overcame them against Washington, but there are no Washingtons in the playoffs.

If they win their first 2 games and go to San Francisco for the NFC championship game, I think the worry goes over to the offense, although not far behind is the defense because neither played well the last time they played.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
The QB. He's been the worst player on the field the last two times we were eliminated.
I'm actually similar-minded, to a degree.

Against the vast majority of the NFC playoff field, I'm more concerned about the defense holding serve than I am the offense or QB.

But if we are fortunate enough to advance to play SF again? That's where my concern squarely focuses on Dak.

Bagman

Reaction score
I'm most worried about COACHING. That means both McCarthy and Quinn. Gotta be on their A game and also be quick to change ANYTHING that's not working. This is now a 1 and done thing. Can't fix anything NEXT week if they lose.

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
Just goin off this year, defense.

Goin off of the past two years, offense.

Our defense in the playoffs these past two losses has been really good or at least decent, our offense in those games has been abysmal.

deerhunter11

Reaction score
Yeah I agree that could definitlely be the case on the offensive side of things .But stopping the run is our weakness,but when Hankins gets back it will be improved.Dallas running game was a weakness,but they may be improving we will see.

hopemsu

Reaction score
playing in AT&T stadium, then a trip to San Fran at worst. Therefore our superbowl doesn't go through cold or rainy weather at all which is a huge plus.

Therefore in order of concern:

Inability to stop the run
Inability to generate a run game.

Basically defensive line and offensive lines in order.

if we lose, i know there has to be a face to blame, and that face is the highest paid person on the team. But if we lose it will have very little to do with Dak. Give him time and he will make the throws. Agreed with an earlier post, if Dak has to throw 3 touchdowns to win, our defense isnt playing great.