Are You Reality Ready?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From some of the Dakmania I've been seeing, I wonder if fans are ready for the reality of the real season, game planning and a young inexperienced, but talented, QB getting his first taste of real NFL defenses?

I like him a lot and he's been very impressive but I've seen this before in the pretend season with a variety of positions but especially the QB position. Best to tell yourself "it's not real" over and over.

Some may be expecting this young QB to overcome a very suspect defense that may put too much pressure on him to make plays instead of execute plays.

That interview was great, he said all the right things but he hadn't seen what they're going to throw at him. When you think of our young QB, think of how humbling NFL defenses can be to highly touted 1st rounders like Carr, Manning and Luck.

While Dak is stepping into an offense that is loaded with pb players and he'll have a better OL and run game than most QB's, he will still have to overcome this defense.

The odds are every QB that has to play out of this draft class is going to struggle, and ours is no exception, but that is part of the game. NFL defenses humble rookie QB's, I just hope ours can keep them under 30 and let him execute the offense. Dak doesn't just need the offense to help him, he needs the team. And my reality is that defense is actually worse than the last two seasons.

Whatever happens, I am not making any judgments about young Prescott in these first two games, either way, because reality happens when the DC's get enough film.

I am figuring the pass o/u at 25. If he has to make over 25 pass attempts, we lose and are not able to run the offense we were built to run. He has to be a game manager and execute the offense.

Reaction score
The injuries and suspensions on defense are a major concern. If and when the starters are available I think it will perform better than expected,,,

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The offense will be game planning also..now
That's true but those plays are dependent on a rookie to read defenses he's never seen before. There's a very good reason why it takes these young QBs time to grow into the position. Romo and Rodgers got time and benefited from that. These NFL DC's love rookie QBs. They send 300lb men to hug them a lot just to show them how much they love them.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They game plan, we game plan, it works both ways. Yes, Dak will have growing pains, a learning curve. It took DC's quite a lot longer to figure out RG3 his rookie year, like most of the season. And Dak already looks to be better than RG3.
Our suspect D will be better than the last 2 years, one in which was the 2014 season with a dynamic running game, then finished stat wise about the same without Romo & Bryant last year.
They have better players overall this year. Pass rush still a big issue, yes. But I do not expect them to be any worse.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's true but those plays are dependent on a rookie to read defenses he's never seen before. There's a very good reason why it takes these young QBs time to grow into the position. Romo and Rodgers got time and benefited from that. These NFL DC's love rookie QBs. They send 300lb men to hug them a lot just to show them how much they love them.

Uh, we have some of the best 300 pound OL to stop those 300 pound men....in case you haven't heard, we have an OL to counter that.
Not saying there won't be issues, as there will be. But you make it sound like our offense will be mauled.

Techsass

Reaction score
Seems like we're always hoping the D outperforms expectations. I'm hoping Dak is it so we can concentrate the first 3 rounds on D the next couple of drafts. (not all 6 picks, but the majority)

I'm anxious, but excited to see what Dak can do. I'm every bit as excited, but less anxious to watch Zeke hit the stage. The first 4 games seem like a good starting point for our team to get it's act together.

DFWJC

Reaction score
From some of the Dakmania I've been seeing, I wonder if fans are ready for the reality of the real season, game planning and a young inexperienced, but talented, QB getting his first taste of real NFL defenses?

I like him a lot and he's been very impressive but I've seen this before in the pretend season with a variety of positions but especially the QB position. Best to tell yourself "it's not real" over and over.

Some may be expecting this young QB to overcome a very suspect defense that may put too much pressure on him to make plays instead of execute plays.

That interview was great, he said all the right things but he hadn't seen what they're going to throw at him. When you think of our young QB, think of how humbling NFL defenses can be to highly touted 1st rounders like Carr, Manning and Luck.

While Dak is stepping into an offense that is loaded with pb players and he'll have a better OL and run game than most QB's, he will still have to overcome this defense.

The odds are every QB that has to play out of this draft class is going to struggle, and ours is no exception, but that is part of the game. NFL defenses humble rookie QB's, I just hope ours can keep them under 30 and let him execute the offense. Dak doesn't just need the offense to help him, he needs the team. And my reality is that defense is actually worse than the last two seasons.

Whatever happens, I am not making any judgments about young Prescott in these first two games, either way, because reality happens when the DC's get enough film.

I am figuring the pass o/u at 25. If he has to make over 25 pass attempts, we lose and are not able to run the offense we were built to run. He has to be a game manager and execute the offense.
Nice write-up

Overcoming this defense is a huge hurdle...and would be for any team or QB. Rookie or not.

I like the perspective to not too much into Dak's (and the team's really) 1st couple of weeks for better or worse.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
They game plan, we game plan, it works both ways. Yes, Dak will have growing pains, a learning curve. It took DC's quite a lot longer to figure out RG3 his rookie year, like most of the season. And Dak already looks to be better than RG3.
Our suspect D will be better than the last 2 years, one in which was the 2014 season with a dynamic running game, then finished stat wise about the same without Romo & Bryant last year.
They have better players overall this year. Pass rush still a big issue, yes. But I do not expect them to be any worse.
RGIII was a runner, which is harder to game plan against when they take you by surprise. If Dak is going to be a pocket passer, which is what we all hope, he'll make better decisions and be less prone to injury, but he'll be more predictable.

Jinxx13x

Reaction score
I say don't ask Dak to do to much ! Let's give the giants a Heavy dose of EE and company. this offense has the ability to sustain drives chew up clock and score. So let's slowly build a lead while wearing down the giants defense. If the giants cannot protect better then they did in pre-season we may become fortunate enough to get some early stops which will place extra pressure on the Giant D to stop this O. Jones back at safety is really gonna help this team especially with scandrick back. I am always nervous for giant games and nfc east matchups in particular but i have a very good feeling about this game. It wont be easy but this will be a confidence boosting game for sure not to mention the giants will have to prepare for a QB who can do somethings Romo isn't asked to do. I think we are being takin lightly and the giants are in for a bit of a shock.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The offense will be game planning also..now
True!

But Dallas has changed up their offense already tremendously this pre season for Dak. In order to help his transition and confidence they HAVE been game planning with him.
Smart move to, I might add.
It has helped everyone involved.

Primetime42

Reaction score
Just have to try not to make it a shootout. Our defense will give up its share of yardage, but as long as they play soundly on their assignments, they can keep the points under control.

Giving the kid a chance to work is the best we can hope for.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RGIII was a runner, which is harder to game plan against when they take you by surprise. If Dak is going to be a pocket passer, which is what we all hope, he'll make better decisions and be less prone to injury, but he'll be more predictable.

Yes I realize RG3 was a runner at the time, but he had some pretty decent QB stats too. Dak has that ability to take off and run, as to where they knew Tony was most likely not going to run.
That is that factor the defenses do not know, and can be used to our offense advantage. Not run like RG3, but the threat is there.