Are You Reality Ready?

DFWJC

Reaction score
With the entire offense healthy around him, the QB should do fine.

Big delimna for the Giants if they can't stop Zeke with a semi-normal front.
And Bryant will beast on them if they have to single cover.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yes I realize RG3 was a runner at the time, but he had some pretty decent QB stats too. Dak has that ability to take off and run, as to where they knew Tony was most likely not going to run.
That is that factor the defenses do not know, and can be used to our offense advantage. Not run like RG3, but the threat is there.
True, he does have the ability to run, maybe not as evasively as RGIII, but when necessary he can go...but that's not something we want him to do unless absolutely necessary, IMO. Too much risk. I have no idea how well they'll be able to plan against Dak, or how quickly he'll learn to read defenses, but I expect him to have a lot of rookie moments. The question is, will those moments hurt?

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
First strike will be a play action pass deep..

Boom!!!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I say don't ask Dak to do to much ! Let's give the giants a Heavy dose of EE and company. this offense has the ability to sustain drives chew up clock and score. So let's slowly build a lead while wearing down the giants defense. If the giants cannot protect better then they did in pre-season we may become fortunate enough to get some early stops which will place extra pressure on the Giant D to stop this O. Jones back at safety is really gonna help this team especially with scandrick back. I am always nervous for giant games and nfc east matchups in particular but i have a very good feeling about this game. It wont be easy but this will be a confidence boosting game for sure not to mention the giants will have to prepare for a QB who can do somethings Romo isn't asked to do. I think we are being takin lightly and the giants are in for a bit of a shock.

Eli usually gets the ball out quick in this offense they have now. And seems their suspect OL steps up and plays better against us. But if Jones can make the others around him better, and the DB's and LB's and cover their guys just a second longer, making Eli hold the ball and think. That may give our DL that extra time to get some pressure on him. Either getting a sack, or even just to cause an incomplete pass or an errant throw for a pick. Or even make him fumble.
It won't happen every play, but when needed, it can be a key factor this game, and this year.

glimmerman

Reaction score
From some of the Dakmania I've been seeing, I wonder if fans are ready for the reality of the real season, game planning and a young inexperienced, but talented, QB getting his first taste of real NFL defenses?

I like him a lot and he's been very impressive but I've seen this before in the pretend season with a variety of positions but especially the QB position. Best to tell yourself "it's not real" over and over.

Some may be expecting this young QB to overcome a very suspect defense that may put too much pressure on him to make plays instead of execute plays.

That interview was great, he said all the right things but he hadn't seen what they're going to throw at him. When you think of our young QB, think of how humbling NFL defenses can be to highly touted 1st rounders like Carr, Manning and Luck.

While Dak is stepping into an offense that is loaded with pb players and he'll have a better OL and run game than most QB's, he will still have to overcome this defense.

The odds are every QB that has to play out of this draft class is going to struggle, and ours is no exception, but that is part of the game. NFL defenses humble rookie QB's, I just hope ours can keep them under 30 and let him execute the offense. Dak doesn't just need the offense to help him, he needs the team. And my reality is that defense is actually worse than the last two seasons.

Whatever happens, I am not making any judgments about young Prescott in these first two games, either way, because reality happens when the DC's get enough film.

I am figuring the pass o/u at 25. If he has to make over 25 pass attempts, we lose and are not able to run the offense we were built to run. He has to be a game manager and execute the offense.

Great post Coach. I agree. Dak will have growing pains and we are all along for the ride.

I have seen enough of Dak to know that he is mobile and can throw accurate on the run. He stands tall and poised in the pocket. Scans the field well and seems to make the right choices.

Now let's fast forward to reality. The game is about to speed up big time. What Dak saw in preseason is going to be twice as fast and twice as complex now. I see the giants loading up on every pass play and coming after him. Stunts and delayed blitzes, heck just about every blitz and coverage they can throw at him. That's the part that makes me nervous, I know he can make plays but he is going to have to back them off. And he is gonna have to make certain adjustments at the line and do all the things presnap that Romo is so good at.

I think or hope that we use the run to take pressure off of him. If we can simply line up and run the ball down there throats then it opens up a lot more. If Dak can start to identify the blitzer and can use the hot route early then he will be ok. Beasley will likely be his best friend.

Things I don't want to see.. The WR screens. I hate those plays but we will likely use quick pass plays to get the ball out of his hands early and often. And I don't want to see him trying to run with the ball down field. In the NFL that is just asking for a injury.

Things I want to see... Don't be afraid to use that check down. With them bringing the blitz most every play then there will be a nice little hole left right behind the blitz. Use Elliot or even Morris for those little dump offs. Romo used Dunbar very well like that. I like the fact that he isn't afraid to air it out, I he can hit a few of those it will back a defense off.

Good news is that we only need to simplify the game plan a little. Romo knows the complex stuff but as a game plan Dak will do fine because our Offense is already set up for a mobile QB. I really think that's the reason he has had early success. Use our O-Line to lean on there defense and wear them out. The game will start to slow down for him by mid third quarter. Just move the chains.

Jinxx13x

Reaction score
Eli usually gets the ball out quick in this offense they have now. And seems their suspect OL steps up and plays better against us. But if Jones can make the others around him better, and the DB's and LB's and cover their guys just a second longer, making Eli hold the ball and think. That may give our DL that extra time to get some pressure on him. Either getting a sack, or even just to cause an incomplete pass or an errant throw for a pick. Or even make him fumble.
It won't happen every play, but when needed, it can be a key factor this game, and this year.
I agree --- i think building a lead, controlling the clock, while giving their O less possessions will force them to panic a little and take some risks they normally wouldn't take. Our Db's are gonna come away from this game with a pick or 2 i hope.

Jinxx13x

Reaction score
Yes I realize RG3 was a runner at the time, but he had some pretty decent QB stats too. Dak has that ability to take off and run, as to where they knew Tony was most likely not going to run.
That is that factor the defenses do not know, and can be used to our offense advantage. Not run like RG3, but the threat is there.
i agree the threat of Dak running may give there d-line a moment of pause instead of pinning their ears back and bringing it, sprinkle in a few read options with EE and they should stay off balance enough to give him a extra second or 2. I think Dak has the smarts of when to use the run and when not to and a reminder to Dak dont forget to slide :bow:

Ken

Reaction score
While I agree...rookie QBs struggle with NFL defense....I believe all players and situations are not created equal.

Look at Wentz in Philly....Jumping from low Division 1, run oriented college ball to 1 game against 3rd and 4th stringers where he got his head kicked in, to NFL defenses. In addition, he has a porous OL in front of him and no weapons. Can you say recipe for disaster?

Dak has 4 years of high level college competition with nothing around him. Dak playing against Alabama's defense with his supporting cast was more difficult than anything he will see in the NFL with what he has around him in Dallas.

The game Dak played against Seattle was a regular season game from what I saw. They played there starters and even blitzed him...something they don't do very often even in the regular season.

Dak's situation on offense and his career to this point have prepared him perfectly for this moment, imo. I see a few bumps but mostly success during his time as a starter.

We will see how it unfolds.

CWR

Reaction score
That's true but those plays are dependent on a rookie to read defenses he's never seen before. There's a very good reason why it takes these young QBs time to grow into the position. Romo and Rodgers got time and benefited from that. These NFL DC's love rookie QBs. They send 300lb men to hug them a lot just to show them how much they love them.

Its on Linehan and Garret to do right by this kid. Sure its only preseason and weve seen young qbs flash only to burn out in the regular season, but rarely to the extent of what Dak has done this preseason. The thread posted earlier about preseason rookie qb stats is telling. Dak has been as good as they get. There is plenty of reason to hope for a Cam Newton, Russel Wilson rookie type of season for Dak. The biggest thing that needs to be impressed upon him is that he will need self restraint. We do not have a bus drivers defense. So he will have to play within himself and not force the outcome as Romo did for so many years. Much of Romos criticism has been a result of him attempting to make up for a poor running game and a porous defense. Dak can not attempt to do this so early in his career. Patience and a game plan acknowledging his limits as a rookie qb need to be his saving grace. Of course risks will need to be taken when the game is on the line but these times have to be properly identified by Dak and the coaching staff. Simply put its on our coaches to put him in a position to succeed. I am optimistic heading into this season but wed all be naive not to accept the possibility of a massive let down.

Verdict

Reaction score
I say don't ask Dak to do to much ! Let's give the giants a Heavy dose of EE and company. this offense has the ability to sustain drives chew up clock and score. So let's slowly build a lead while wearing down the giants defense. If the giants cannot protect better then they did in pre-season we may become fortunate enough to get some early stops which will place extra pressure on the Giant D to stop this O. Jones back at safety is really gonna help this team especially with scandrick back. I am always nervous for giant games and nfc east matchups in particular but i have a very good feeling about this game. It wont be easy but this will be a confidence boosting game for sure not to mention the giants will have to prepare for a QB who can do somethings Romo isn't asked to do. I think we are being takin lightly and the giants are in for a bit of a shock.

I disagree. Let Dak play QB. Don't dumb it down too much. Let the horse run and see what happens.

Jinxx13x

Reaction score
I disagree. Let Dak play QB. Don't dumb it down too much. Let the horse run and see what happens.
I don't mean dumb it down per say, i guess i really mean Dak just needs to manage the game and not try to press ex. on 3rd and 20 don't press just realize we get them next series. His poise inspires confidence for sure i really believe he will be fine, but i also believe ball control and the running game are the formula this year.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
The Giants are going to stack the box with 8 man fronts and dare Dak to beat them passing the ball. I don't think they have a prayer if they try to play a 7 man front. We are going to have to stick with run even with them in the 8 man fronts and then take a few shots with play action. Dak has not even been shown as a running threat thus far but he will keep the Giants defense on their toes with his running ability. Double edged sword for the Giants in that 8 man front is that they will be playing Dez and Williams one on one and I feel very confident that we will be able to beat them with that matchup.

jday

Reaction score
From some of the Dakmania I've been seeing, I wonder if fans are ready for the reality of the real season, game planning and a young inexperienced, but talented, QB getting his first taste of real NFL defenses?

I like him a lot and he's been very impressive but I've seen this before in the pretend season with a variety of positions but especially the QB position. Best to tell yourself "it's not real" over and over.

Some may be expecting this young QB to overcome a very suspect defense that may put too much pressure on him to make plays instead of execute plays.

That interview was great, he said all the right things but he hadn't seen what they're going to throw at him. When you think of our young QB, think of how humbling NFL defenses can be to highly touted 1st rounders like Carr, Manning and Luck.

While Dak is stepping into an offense that is loaded with pb players and he'll have a better OL and run game than most QB's, he will still have to overcome this defense.

The odds are every QB that has to play out of this draft class is going to struggle, and ours is no exception, but that is part of the game. NFL defenses humble rookie QB's, I just hope ours can keep them under 30 and let him execute the offense. Dak doesn't just need the offense to help him, he needs the team. And my reality is that defense is actually worse than the last two seasons.

Whatever happens, I am not making any judgments about young Prescott in these first two games, either way, because reality happens when the DC's get enough film.

I am figuring the pass o/u at 25. If he has to make over 25 pass attempts, we lose and are not able to run the offense we were built to run. He has to be a game manager and execute the offense.
I can't be mad at you because this was me a year ago; trying to temper expectations because I had a bad feeling about a Murray-less backfield. But this year is different. No, I do not expect Dak to make it look easy like he did in preseason, but I do expect him to be better than what 31 other franchise fans are allowing there wishful thinking to pass off as belief. There is no denying what Dak did in preseason as a Qb who took more snaps than most QB's and still walked way with the best QB rating in the league. Will he make mistakes? Of course. No one is saying he won't. But with that supporting cast, he'll overcome those mistakes and then some. I honestly don't remember having more confidence in a Cowboys team than what I do now...and if your familiar with my post throughout the years, that is saying something.

RS12

Reaction score
I dont mind Dak having growing pains. I want to know before next draft if he is the future or a backup. Fine either way. The people that keep saying this defense will be improved, I dont see it. I see a few guys who would be starters on other teams, thats it. Schemes are great and all, but it all boils down to talent and I dont see it on defense.

Techsass

Reaction score
The thing I've liked the most about Dak is that he doesn't look rattled at all. How many 'poised' references are out there? The 2 picks he threw in the Seattle game didn't seem to throw him off his game. He bounced right back & kept on track. You take that & add in his physical abilities & things don't seem near as scary to me. Of course that all could change, but even if it does I think he'll recover pretty quickly from it.

The other thing I'm expecting to see is a lot more Zeke threads. We've only seen a few plays so I get that he's not getting as much talk as Dak is, but it's coming. I think they'll feed of each other & cause a bunch of DCs to have ulcers.