Are You Reality Ready?

Kaiser

Reaction score
Uh, we have some of the best 300 pound OL to stop those 300 pound men....in case you haven't heard, we have an OL to counter that.
Not saying there won't be issues, as there will be. But you make it sound like our offense will be mauled.

Are we really that worried about Dak Prescott's ability to hand off to Zeke? Because that is going to be the most common play we see - in "reality".

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
From some of the Dakmania I've been seeing, I wonder if fans are ready for the reality of the real season, game planning and a young inexperienced, but talented, QB getting his first taste of real NFL defenses?

I like him a lot and he's been very impressive but I've seen this before in the pretend season with a variety of positions but especially the QB position. Best to tell yourself "it's not real" over and over.

Some may be expecting this young QB to overcome a very suspect defense that may put too much pressure on him to make plays instead of execute plays.

That interview was great, he said all the right things but he hadn't seen what they're going to throw at him. When you think of our young QB, think of how humbling NFL defenses can be to highly touted 1st rounders like Carr, Manning and Luck.

While Dak is stepping into an offense that is loaded with pb players and he'll have a better OL and run game than most QB's, he will still have to overcome this defense.

The odds are every QB that has to play out of this draft class is going to struggle, and ours is no exception, but that is part of the game. NFL defenses humble rookie QB's, I just hope ours can keep them under 30 and let him execute the offense. Dak doesn't just need the offense to help him, he needs the team. And my reality is that defense is actually worse than the last two seasons.

Whatever happens, I am not making any judgments about young Prescott in these first two games, either way, because reality happens when the DC's get enough film.

I am figuring the pass o/u at 25. If he has to make over 25 pass attempts, we lose and are not able to run the offense we were built to run. He has to be a game manager and execute the offense.

Time to start letting my emotions towards life be reflected on how well the Coboys perform again.....

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
If we utilize screens and quick passing game/back shoulder throws we'll be fine. Anything but being predictable and well be fine. Play action, bootlegs. The complication is kind of overrated to me. It'll only be complicated on 3rd and long with blitzes.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Dak, like most athletes, likes to prove doubters wrong. He's don't it so far every step of the way. I have no reason now to assume he won't continue. Especially, with the talent around him.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Uh, we have some of the best 300 pound OL to stop those 300 pound men....in case you haven't heard, we have an OL to counter that.
Not saying there won't be issues, as there will be. But you make it sound like our offense will be mauled.
Not at all but this is not the best pass protect OL, it is the best run OL and they'll be tested with a lot of 8 in the box to put the game in the rookie's hands. Rookie QBs make mistakes, that's how they learn but some seem to think ours will bypass that based off what they saw in the pretend season.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I am more worried about our Coaches,if they turn Dak into another dink or dunk Qb then i doubt we win any games with him.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Not at all but this is not the best pass protect OL, it is the best run OL and they'll be tested with a lot of 8 in the box to put the game in the rookie's hands. Rookie QBs make mistakes, that's how they learn but some seem to think ours will bypass that based off what they saw in the pretend season.
8 in the box means 1 on 1 outside. If Dak can't handle that with Dez then he's not the one. Simple

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You've never actually seen that before though. No one has.
No, that's true but I have seen this defense in the past with 2 of the 3 missing pieces in and then they were marginal. This is what I do know. In the next two games, we are facing very good QB/Receiver combos and what's our weakness in the past? Pass rush and what have you seen to believe it will be better? They will score and put pressure on Dak to respond, which is exactly what they want from a rookie.

Hey ACF, I am not negative about Dak or our chances, just seeing some unreal expectations for a rookie QB. And I watch a lot of SEC ball and when they began to rattle Dak, that's when the mistakes we're made. I like him but we will have growing pains with him and do not have a good enough team to support him to the degree any rookie needs.

Maybe if posters look at those two picks that were erased they'll lower their bar for him a little? Were those good passes?

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
No, that's true but I have seen this defense in the past with 2 of the 3 missing pieces in and then they were marginal. This is what I do know. In the next two games, we are facing very good QB/Receiver combos and what's our weakness in the past? Pass rush and what have you seen to believe it will be better? They will score and put pressure on Dak to respond, which is exactly what they want from a rookie.

Hey ACF, I am not negative about Dak or our chances, just seeing some unreal expectations for a rookie QB. And I watch a lot of SEC ball and when they began to rattle Dak, that's when the mistakes we're made. I like him but we will have growing pains with him and do not have a good enough team to support him to the degree any rookie needs.

Maybe if posters look at those two picks that were erased they'll lower their bar for him a little? Were those good passes?
Mistakes happen when a qb gets hit :omg:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have a feeling Zeke is going to overshadow Dak with one of the best debut games from a rookie RB.
If that happens, we're in good shape but he'll have to beat 8 man fronts and get to the edge consistently. They know exactly how we're going to try and protect our QB and they're going to do everything they can to stop our run game.

I am excited to see both of these players but I would be more excited for Zeke if we had QB1 in the game. What we're going to miss more than anything is Romo's experience with this offense and his knowledge. The man does not get enough credit for his mental part of the game and that will be a challenge. I like it that we've got Yosemite for the line reads and it's no coincidence that Romo got better at the line once he trusted Yosemite. Dak will need everyone's help, especially Witten.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score

You're all over the place here. Hey the entire premise of my post is off, but look at the defense. And now let me get back to the premise that I just denied?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am more worried about our Coaches,if they turn Dak into another dink or dunk Qb then i doubt we win any games with him.
They may have no choice. If our WRs can't separate fast enough and give him an opening, he'll have to check down or worse, take off running. Considering what's behind him, I'd rather see him throw it away.

Techsass

Reaction score
I was surprised to see Rod using blitzes in the pre(fake)season games. Maybe the other teams asked him to. Maybe he wanted to see how the DBs did with more pass rush pressure. Maybe he's going to change his long held aversion to blitzing.

Whoops didn't get the quote clicked right. Was spurred by CC's comment on our lack of QB pressures.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Our Oline is outstanding at pass protect.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Time to start letting my emotions towards life be reflected on how well the Coboys perform again.....

That is one or the best descriptions I've ever read to the start of the season.

Awesome post.:clap:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL, man, that used to so be me. You would have thought I bet the family farm on the Boys. One thing we learn after this 20 season trail of tears is that it is just a game......and no matter how they play it, Booger keeps making money.