Are you still a Garrett supporter?

Reaction score
I'm curious to get a read on how many fans still have faith that Jason Garrett is the right man for the job or how many fans are ready to move on?

Just your own opinion on what you would like to see happen going forward, and not what you expect Jerry Jones to do.

I'm interested to get a read on how opinions and overall confidence stands at this point.
I believe a change is definitely needed. I have supported Garrett longer than most, but I no longer believe he can take us where we want to go.

Who would I want in a best case scenario? Josh McDaniels.

No way that will ever happen though. With Jerry around and the control he demands over the team, there are very few who want the job. Options are very limited.

Garrett isn't going anywhere.

mrmojo

Reaction score
I didnt like the way he was "given" the HC position, so I was turned off to him immediately. But I was ready to give him his due after last years regular season but then came the playoffs, and it was same old. This year I said this would be his test without Zeke, so far 0-1.

He is our Cowboy coach so I have to support him, I just don't think he will ever win us a SB.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Did you have them at 8-8 before Tyron and Lee became damaged goods and Zeke was suspended for 8 games?
Elliott is gone for 8 games now?

And yes, well, with a bad back Tyron and a waiting to get hurt Lee, I still expected 9-7 or so.

Last year's team was magical, but let's not pretend it was nearly as good as their record.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I didnt like the way he was "given" the HC position, so I was turned off to him immediately. But I was ready to give him his due after last years regular season but then came the playoffs, and it was same old. This year I said this would be his test without Zeke, so far 0-1.

He is our Cowboy coach so I have to support him, I just don't think he will ever win us a SB.
Check your history; he was given the head coach position because he led our offense as OC to the 2nd best offense in the entire NFL, he'd been a finalist for head coach one year and then Jerry had to make him the highest paid assistant in the NFL because he had two head coaching offers on the table. Jerry didn't want to lose him, right or wrong.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Peyton went 7-9 each of the last 3 seasons despite having Drew Brees. If he was doing that in Dallas no one on this board would be singing his praises.
Payton's issues have been a lot like Garrett's. Gets too pass happy and has a bad defense, he does not go more than .500.

Funny how he gets a better defense and a more balanced offense, he wins.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I'm curious to get a read on how many fans still have faith that Jason Garrett is the right man for the job or how many fans are ready to move on?

Whether or not I support Garrett doesn't really matter, but for me the question of whether I "have faith" is more about trusting Jerry to hire someone better.

Do I want to move on? That depends on what we're moving on to. Jerry's likely to go after someone like Mack Brown.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
Interesting question. One could take the same set of facts and spin it in opposite directions. I think Garrett has been a better coach than his harsher critics suggest. I think he's been a worse coach than his staunchest defenders suggest. I'm in the minority, but I'd like to see what he can do over the next couple of years. This is a young team with a second-year QB who has played beyond expectations.

I am fearful of coaching carousels. There are many more strikeouts than home runs. Stability generally pays off in the long run. It's also true that at some point there must be results. Sign me up for another year or two, but I understand I could wind up with egg on my face.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course. There are coaches out there I like better, but not a ton of them, and not many of those are guys I think would work well with Jerry, which is a huge issue in Dallas.

With a few notable exceptions, I almost never switch positions on any coach based off of gameday play calls. For one, fans massively overweight the importance of what happens on gameday, and for whatever reason don't every consider that the communication is networked across the entire staff for both offense and defense. There are a lot of smart people on every team in position to give input on game plans and play calls.

For yesterday's game...a lot of people are pretty worked up about the play of Chaz Green and about the staff not giving him more support. I expect as the week goes on here, we're going to get more info about how much help he was actually given. Both in terms of extra blockers, and in terms of what they were trying to do getting the ball out faster and in rolling or running away from that left edge pressure. It's pretty obvious they didn't just ignore the issue on the left side. I do think they were also concerned with Cooper over there, given that he stalled two drives with holding calls and was getting beaten at times himself. There were probably limits to what they felt they could do over there with personnel (note, Frederick, too, took some responsibility for blowing protections after the game. That was just him covering for a teammate, but there's more to what the team was supposed to do to adjust to that pressure than we know right now).

What yesterday reinforced for me that I do hold the staff responsible for was two things. Primarily, it ticks me off that we went into the season with a gaping hole at backup MIKE and nobody saw it in camp. Jaylon cannot play and should not be active. I don't know how that fact was hidden throughout the preseason, and I don't understand why they didn't address the problem before the Rams exposed it. Somebody blew it, and that goes from the position coach on up.

The other thing I wasn't happy about with the coaching yesterday was they kept Dak in down three scores with 5 minutes to play and with him needing to throw every down and under a blindside assault. We're lucky he didn't get hurt, and there was no chance of winning that game given that we couldn't protect the passer and couldn't stop their offense.

That said, I also don't think the sky is falling in Dallas just because we're 5-4. It sucks, but 10-6 does probably get us a WC berth. As bad as we looked yesterday, we looked just that good against a better team the week before. And I have no doubt we win that game yesterday with Lee and Smith in the lineup. If they're not out long, I still like this team as a WC contender until Elliott gets back. And after that, who knows.

slick325

Reaction score
To answer Stash's original question, yes I am.

That doesn't mean that he is above reproach or I agree with all decisions he makes. But his run 1st, control the LOS mindset he got from his days under Jimmy Johnson and Nick Saban, works in Dallas.

mrmojo

Reaction score
Check your history; he was given the head coach position because he led our offense as OC to the 2nd best offense in the entire NFL, he'd been a finalist for head coach one year and then Jerry had to make him the highest paid assistant in the NFL because he had two head coaching offers on the table. Jerry didn't want to lose him, right or wrong.
And therien lies theproblem, we can whine aout JG all we want but he isnt going anywhere, Jerry invested way too much in him already, and Jerry will go down with the ship to prove he was right. Thanks for the history lesson, still doesn't change my opinion.

wssaustin

Reaction score
Done with him when he freezes our own kicker. He goes brain dead too often at the most critical moments.

vlad

Reaction score
My big thing is I don't personally feel he makes players better, definitely not the sum of their parts. He make them more disciplined or organized, but I don't see the product on the field being anything additional to what the talent is capable of.

I want to like the guy because he represents stability, but his output, his treatment and handing of adverse situations, particularly with regards to selling out his own hires, I just don't see it. Finally I am a big Romo fan and I would have loved to see him with a Sean McVay or Shanahan type (sure that's asking a lot) as offensive coordinator or head coach, but definitely at least at o-coordinator I would loved to see Romo w/someone that had actually earned the job rather than be Jerry's handpicked Superbowl 90s reminder.

In other words, I suspect if Garrett was not a part of those teams he would have actually been forced to work his way up the ranks and get better as a result...it is a process after all :) but as it stands I think he was gifted a job he didn't earn, and he hasn't shown me personally anything that says "oh, well I see why they tabbed him as the next thing"