Argument for drafting a RB in RD1

Galian Beast

Reaction score
For the most part I would say that I'm not into putting heavy resources into running backs, given how for the most part you can plug and play running backs in this league, especially if you have the offensive lines to do it.

With that being said, having a legitimate top talent at running back behind a line can obviously have its benefits.

The question then becomes how do you get this. I am staunchly against paying a running back. Just don't want to do it, but I don't mind getting a running back in the first round, though to be honest I'm not a huge fan of that either.

Outside of Dez Bryant, who I think most people would agree, would be pretty difficult to replace cheaply, the biggest free agent expense facing us this year is at running back.

The way I see it is I would offer Murray between 4 and 5 million a year, maybe with the first two years guaranteed, but outside of that, I'm not interested in shelling out more money for him. If he balks and someone wants to pay him 8-9 million a year thinking they're getting our offensive line with him, by all means let them.

That would bring us to Adrian Peterson. Does Adrian Peterson get released? Peterson is reinstated should be eligible by April 15th, well before the draft. I think we'll probably get an answer before then.

The first question is when will Peterson be reinstated, but the second question which is probably more important is what does Minnesota do with him. If they release him, fine, great. If they won't release him, will they trade for him, and how much will they ask for in a trade. I would give up a 5th maybe a 4th round draft pick for him. That also brings up the question of compensation, as I said before I don't want to break the bank for a running back. In signing him or trading for him, we would need to redo his contract and it would need to be team friendly.

Assuming we get neither running back though, I think we can use the money we save from not signing Murray to invest into the defense. I think that investment would afford us the ability to draft a running back in the first round.

Assume for instance that we spend 20 million dollars (per year on average) on defense in this years free agency. We could probably spend upwards of 30 million by not resigning Murray and instead finding his replacement in the draft.

That makes a large difference.

We can also install Ryan Williams, who while many may be tired of hearing about, could certainly help a rookie running back carry the load early in their career.

In closing, I would say that when you realize how difficult it is to build this defense for 2015 through the draft, you realize that we need to make the proper short term investments through free agency, the less you want to spend resources on RT and RB which can fairly easily be replaced in the draft.

If you don't get Gurley or Gordon in the draft, you can try to draft a running back later, and worst case scenario you can go with what you have (depending on if you cut Randle). There are also some free agent running back options that should come much cheaper than Murray would, Ingram or Spiller for example.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I would love for someone who has the all 22 video to tell us more about Murray and what he created versus what he left on the field.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Gurley maybe if he checks out medically. The drop off in talent after him plateaus for the next 4 or 5 backs.

I would rather draft OL or trade down if all the defense is picked off by 27 as opposed to the Wisconsin back. You can get the Miami or BSU kid in the second.

endersdragon

Reaction score
I'm all for drafting an RB in the 1st round if one of the top backs drop, especially if there are no great d-linemen on the board when we pick. If there's a better value at RB, grab the RB and shore up the d-line in fa.

I think there are 4 great backs in the first two rounds for us to pick up. I don't think there will be a good d-lineman who will fall that far and anyone we could take would likely be a reach. So with that being said, I would greatly prefer us to get one of the top 6 DTs and one of the top 6 DEs in FA, and then get BPA, who will likely be a guy like Gurley or Gordon, or Johnson, or Coleman, in the draft.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
We all want to build this defensive line through the draft, but the reality is, it probably isn't realistic at this point.

The guys we draft will take years to develop, assuming they develop, and aren't going to be the best in the draft given our position in the draft. Does that mean we can't get some great players in the draft, or that better players can't develop in later rounds and later positions within rounds? No. What it does mean is that we can't rest the hopes of creating a much better defense next year through this draft. We're setting ourselves up for failure if we do that. And to afford the defensive free agents we're going to need to supplement the draft, we're going to have to say goodbye to Murray and Free.

Fredd

Reaction score
not sure, but if we trade for AP, then we trade for his salary as well? I agree with the sentiment of getting a stud back behind this line

kevm3

Reaction score
Also, we just have to work towards our strengths. First and foremost, we are primarily an offense-based team. We need our defense to be 'enough', but it's impossible to have a super strong o and d in this league. You simply have to pick an identity and run with it and hope the other side holds up enough. Typically, defense-based teams, win, but the Patriots showed you can still do it with O, as long as the defense holds up enough.

I think we simply get a better value proposition taking an RB in the draft and D-Line through FA. RBs are much more plug and play and can contribute immediately. Also, RBs don't have the 'glamor' they used to, so it's possible we get much better value at our pick going for RB. Get someone on the DL in FA where they are much more likely to contribute immediately. Now if we had a top 5 pick as opposed to one in the back end of the 1st round, that would be a different story.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
For the most part I would say that I'm not into putting heavy resources into running backs, given how for the most part you can plug and play running backs in this league, especially if you have the offensive lines to do it.

With that being said, having a legitimate top talent at running back behind a line can obviously have its benefits.

The question then becomes how do you get this. I am staunchly against paying a running back. Just don't want to do it, but I don't mind getting a running back in the first round, though to be honest I'm not a huge fan of that either.

Outside of Dez Bryant, who I think most people would agree, would be pretty difficult to replace cheaply, the biggest free agent expense facing us this year is at running back.

The way I see it is I would offer Murray between 4 and 5 million a year, maybe with the first two years guaranteed, but outside of that, I'm not interested in shelling out more money for him. If he balks and someone wants to pay him 8-9 million a year thinking they're getting our offensive line with him, by all means let them.

That would bring us to Adrian Peterson. Does Adrian Peterson get released? Peterson is reinstated should be eligible by April 15th, well before the draft. I think we'll probably get an answer before then.

The first question is when will Peterson be reinstated, but the second question which is probably more important is what does Minnesota do with him. If they release him, fine, great. If they won't release him, will they trade for him, and how much will they ask for in a trade. I would give up a 5th maybe a 4th round draft pick for him. That also brings up the question of compensation, as I said before I don't want to break the bank for a running back. In signing him or trading for him, we would need to redo his contract and it would need to be team friendly.

Assuming we get neither running back though, I think we can use the money we save from not signing Murray to invest into the defense. I think that investment would afford us the ability to draft a running back in the first round.

Assume for instance that we spend 20 million dollars (per year on average) on defense in this years free agency. We could probably spend upwards of 30 million by not resigning Murray and instead finding his replacement in the draft.

We can also install Ryan Williams, who while many may be tired of hearing about, could certainly help a rookie running back carry the load early in their career.

In closing, I would say that when you realize how difficult it is to build this defense for 2015 through the draft, you realize that we need to make the proper short term investments through free agency, the less you want to spend resources on RT and RB which can fairly easily be replaced in the draft.

If you don't get Gurley or Gordon in the draft, you can try to draft a running back later, and worst case scenario you can go with what you have (depending on if you cut Randle). There are also some free agent running back options that should come much cheaper than Murray would, Ingram or Spiller for example.

question: is a RB going to get us to the superbowl? or investing on defense, specially the DL? I would rather get a RB in mid rounds, as we have proven we can find them, including murray and save the 1st round draft picks for DL or CBs and address our defense. without a defense, chances of getting to the superbowl are less. we have to address our pass rush and ability to get off the field on 3rd downs and not allow teams to extend drives.

as for RBs, I don't devalue having a good RB, but with the running game, its not necessarily about the total yards, but about # of carries in a game, controlling the clock. Minn. had AP, who had 2000 yard season, and they couldn't sniff the superbowl.

lets invest high picks on defense.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
question: is a RB going to get us to the superbowl? or investing on defense, specially the DL? I would rather get a RB in mid rounds, as we have proven we can find them, including murray and save the 1st round draft picks for DL or CBs and address our defense. without a defense, chances of getting to the superbowl are less. we have to address our pass rush and ability to get off the field on 3rd downs and not allow teams to extend drives.

as for RBs, I don't devalue having a good RB, but with the running game, its not necessarily about the total yards, but about # of carries in a game, controlling the clock. Minn. had AP, who had 2000 yard season, and they couldn't sniff the superbowl.

lets invest high picks on defense.

As I said before, I think you need a running back to keep this offense ticking, and I think that has more value high in the draft than picking a lower end defensive player.

Minnesota never had the pieces on offense that we have. They only had AP. When they actually had success they had Favre and some outside options to pare with their defense. They just couldn't make it all the way.

This team will do best when it can win without needing to control the clock, but we still need a running game.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Jay Ajayi. We like Boise State players. He is a three down back. Make it happen.

egn22

Reaction score
I like the OPs argument but I still feel like we have areas we can address in the draft before RB.
Example: sign Suh or Hardy or JPP
Then draft a CB in the 1st

Or if a highly ranked LB slides draft him
It's not like Lee and McClain can't use a solid backup

Or if there's a offensive Tackle avail draft him. Free isn't necessarily the long term solution at RT.

Any of these picks would provide you with a high pedigree player at a position of need.
And I think that provides more bang for your buck in the long run even though it's not as flashy.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I like the OPs argument but I still feel like we have areas we can address in the draft before RB.
Example: sign Suh or Hardy or JPP
Then draft a CB in the 1st

Or if a highly ranked LB slides draft him
It's not like Lee and McClain can't use a solid backup

Or if there's a offensive Tackle avail draft him. Free isn't necessarily the long term solution at RT.

Any of these picks would provide you with a high pedigree player at a position of need.
And I think that provides more bang for your buck in the long run even though it's not as flashy.

You draft a cornerback in the first round and you have to ask yourself, will this player start? What will their learning curve be? What are the odds that they are a bust? If they develop into a player, how long will it take for them to develop?

Can we invest another first round draft pick into a lineman? What does the law of diminishing returns tell us?

Hardline

Reaction score
I foam at the mouth just thinking about Gurley running behind this offensive line.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
As I said before, I think you need a running back to keep this offense ticking, and I think that has more value high in the draft than picking a lower end defensive player.

Minnesota never had the pieces on offense that we have. They only had AP. When they actually had success they had Favre and some outside options to pare with their defense. They just couldn't make it all the way.

This team will do best when it can win without needing to control the clock, but we still need a running game.

compare the lower end of first round DL men to ones in lower rounds. you have a better chance of finding one there , than you do in the mid rounds. compare that to the slew of high performing RBs in the league and which rounds they were drafted. chances of hitting on a RB after 1st round is much higher than hitting on a DL man.

and to you point regarding AP. they didn't have the defense and the rest of the pieces. so the running game is not necessarily the key. all you have to do is look at NE. even seattle, despite mashawn lynch was all about their defense. we need to invest on the defense to get to the big dance. the way you control the clock is by getting off the field on 3rd downs on defense and then the total number of rushes in the game as opposed to a great RBs. so I don't disagree with needing a running game. but I disagree with spending a premium pick on a RB, given our defensive needs specially in a RB deep draft.

CowboyChris

Reaction score

I dont get the hate for Murray around here, and so many of you are guilty of it too! I guess back in the 90's we should ran off Emmitt cause he was too slow, no big homerun TD's, he is going to want too much money... yada yada. Murray was the MVP of this team last year by far, his 25-30 carries a game, took us to a division winning season and a playoff win. not too mention ball control and not over exposing our defense, if anybody should get the big bucks its him!