Argument for drafting a RB in RD1

John813

Reaction score
If he's the BPA, and the coaches want that RB, it's a no brainer to draft one in the 1st round.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Here's a list of the top 20 rushers in the NFL and where they were drafted.

Murray__3rd round
L Bell__2
McCoy__2
Lynch__1
Forsett__7
Foster__undrafted
Lacy__2
Hill__2
Gore__3
Miller__4
Morris__6
Forte__2
Ingram__1
J Bell__undrafted
CJ Anderson__undrafted
Ivory__undrafted
Stewert__1
Mason__3

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey, if we've got a hole at RB and a RB is the best upgrade to the team at 27, I could live with it. It's a lot more likely we'll try to position ourselves to get good defensive value there or move back, and that we'll target a replacement RB in the 3rd or 4th round if we need one. This draft's deep at RB, and after the first two, there's a number of guys bunched up that we could choose from.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All I know is if we don't have another great RB on the roster next year (whoever it is), then our defense better be MUCH improved. Imagine our team with no running game and a bad defense.
Hard to imagine we couldn't scratch together some kind of running game behind our OL. I don't consider Murray a great RB.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I would rather trade for a bounty of picks to hopefully hit on an additional lineman or linebacker.

Our problems are definitely with the defensive front. RB at #27 would be a luxury pick.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
in Bizarro World we burn our No. 1 draft pick on a running back (when we already have an NFL-leading RB) and wax content over our defense.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Besides Gurley and Gordon, here are some others.

Ameer Abdullah
Tevin Coleman
Duke Johnson
Jay Ayjayi
TJ Yeldon
David Cobb
Jeremy Langford
Mike Davis
Javorious Allen
David Johnson
Cameron Artis-Payne
Malcolm Brown
Storm Woods

and more

Several of these guys would fit very well in our offense.
Not only that, history says that some (and maybe several) of these guys will end up having better careers than at least one of Gordon or Gurley, and maybe both.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
There's all kinds of arguments that can be made for not drafting an RB in the first round. The Cowboys would be using their top pick to fill what was the strength of the team in 2014 when they need to be using that pick on defense where they have several holes that need to be filled. The Cowboys have had their best luck in recent years finding solid backs in later rounds. They hit on Barber in the 4th round and Murray in the 3rd. Julius Jones who was a second round pick and Felix Jones who was a first round pick showed flashes as rookies but regressed as the years went on.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I dont get the hate for Murray around here, and so many of you are guilty of it too! I guess back in the 90's we should ran off Emmitt cause he was too slow, no big homerun TD's, he is going to want too much money... yada yada.

The ones who say Emmitt didn't have any big homerun TD's need to check his career stats. In another thread I pointed out all the long TD runs he had it would surprise some.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The ones who say Emmitt didn't have any big homerun TD's need to check his career stats. In another thread I pointed out all the long TD runs he had it would surprise some.

He didn't have HR speed, but never got caught from behind

That is how I always remember his description, even going back to FLA.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He didn't have HR speed, but never got caught from behind

That is how I always remember his description, even going back to FLA.

Emmitt had an extra gear when he saw the end zone insight.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Dez is one of those players who plays faster than he times.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Because everyone gets timed in shorts instead of a bulky uniform, all times are bit deceiving.

Some powerful players like Emmitt run about as well in full uniform as they do in the underwear Olympics. In almost all cases, the people chasing him, did not.
So a 4.6 guy in no uni) running 4.6 in uni is being chased by a 4.5 guy (in no uni) running a 4.65 in a real game :)

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Because everyone gets timed in shorts instead of a bulky uniform, all times are bit deceiving.

Some powerful players like Emmitt run about as well in full uniform as they do in the underwear Olympics. In almost all cases, the people chasing him, did not.
So a 4.6 guy in no uni) running 4.6 in uni is being chased by a 4.5 guy (in no uni) running a 4.65 in a real game :)

They should time players in pads on a football field that's where they'll be making their living. It's deceiving having them run 40 times in shorts on a track. Their football gear adds about 20 pounds.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Most people forget how important protecting The QB is. Romo is one good hit away from a wheelchair. How much does a rookie running back protect our #1 guy?

no denying that. but murray played as a rookie. lots of backs play as rookies and they are successful. and lately the first round RBs have all fizzled.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Here's a list of the top 20 rushers in the NFL and where they were drafted.

Murray__3rd round
L Bell__2
McCoy__2
Lynch__1
Forsett__7
Foster__undrafted
Lacy__2
Hill__2
Gore__3
Miller__4
Morris__6
Forte__2
Ingram__1
J Bell__undrafted
CJ Anderson__undrafted
Ivory__undrafted
Stewert__1
Mason__3

no denying that. but murray played as a rookie. lots of backs play as rookies and they are successful. and lately the first round RBs have all fizzled.

Again, misleading, because it's a lot about fit, personnel, and health e.t.c.

Player A could go to Team A and be a huge success while had they gone to Team B, they wouldn't have the same opportunity to excel.

Many players who are drafted early are going to situations where they don't have a lot of help. You have to look at the whole picture.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Alright, so the anti-Murray peeps have a plan:

Let Murray walk... spend 1st pick on RB... go "Madden" in free agency grabbing Suh, Hardy, JPP, dig up Reggie White...
bring in every single player that gets cut for a look-see.

The pro-Murray peeps plan:

Sign Murray... solidify our LB situation (a strength) in any number of choices... Lee/McClain/Hitchens and maybe keep Durant over Carter...
draft DL in the first round... sign a mid-tier FA player and maybe a "bet on me" player or two on defense.

If Murray wants to be the highest paid RB in the league, then I say goodbye and thanks for a great season... but everything he's said and done
tells me he's willing to work with Stephen and Jerry... Dez's deal will be far more concerning to the team than throwing 5-6 mil average to Murray.

We will see them both wearing the star in 2015.