Article blasts Stephen Jones on missing Derrick Henry

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://fansided.com/posts/stephen-...s-botching-derrick-henry-pursuit-unacceptable

In a direct and straightforward way, this linked article from FanSided blasts Stephen Jones for his comments about why the Cowboys did not pursue RB Derrick Henry when he was available at a reasonably low price. The author just cuts to the chase that Jones’ explanation is simply “unacceptable”.

The sentence from the article below pretty accurately sums up the philosophy of SJ and his father:
“What this all means is the Cowboys would once again rather be in the headlines than field a serious Super Bowl contender.”

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
...Bullet, I dont feel Henry ever wanted to come hear. So its kinda mute.
And you could be 100% correct there. I think there is a good chance that Henry always had his eye on Baltimore and that was the rumor since back during the regular season trade deadline. I think the bigger issue though is the Cowboys logic around not even giving the guy a phone call. Using pending contract extensions as an excuse to not pursuit free agents is a joke of an excuse and a slap in the face both to the fans and these guys up for extensions. If I'm Dak Prescott right now and Stephen is refusing to help build the roster in free agency, telling the media it's because of my contract situation, and on top of that he isn't negotiating with me on that contract that would help lower the cap number? Yeah that wouldnt be setting right with me.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Signing Henry would have had to be part of several other free agent additions for it to make sense.

Henry himself would not have put this team over the top.

I waffle between this guy using excuses to be cheap vs him having zero understanding of windows under which to win.

birdwells1

Reaction score
And you could be 100% correct there. I think there is a good chance that Henry always had his eye on Baltimore and that was the rumor since back during the regular season trade deadline. I think the bigger issue though is the Cowboys logic around not even giving the guy a phone call. Using pending contract extensions as an excuse to not pursuit free agents is a joke of an excuse and a slap in the face both to the fans and these guys up for extensions. If I'm Dak Prescott right now and Stephen is refusing to help build the roster in free agency, telling the media it's because of my contract situation, and on top of that he isn't negotiating with me on that contract that would help lower the cap number? Yeah that wouldnt be setting right with me.
Well said, Henry lives in Dallas and said that he was shocked that the Cowboys didn't even give him a call. Sounds like he was interested.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
https://fansided.com/posts/stephen-...s-botching-derrick-henry-pursuit-unacceptable

In a direct and straightforward way, this linked article from FanSided blasts Stephen Jones for his comments about why the Cowboys did not pursue RB Derrick Henry when he was available at a reasonably low price. The author just cuts to the chase that Jones’ explanation is simply “unacceptable”.

The sentence from the article below pretty accurately sums up the philosophy of SJ and his father:
“What this all means is the Cowboys would once again rather be in the headlines than field a serious Super Bowl contender.”
Can you imagine Henry running behind the Cowboys road grader offensive line?

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
This was accidental good fortune. I wanted a great rookie RB, but a quick, younger veteran signed after game one will do, and Zeke is a progress stopper.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Another question would be "why would Derrick Henry prefer Baltimore?".

Or better yet, "Why would Dallas no longer be a prime destination?"

Fingers point back at the ownership

fivetwos

Reaction score
You would think that they would scramble to try to win while Lamb and Parsons are still on rookie deals, but instead for the last two years they have been talking about having to be conservative so they can keep them long term. Backhandedly blaming Daks contract while that was their botch job.

Our best hope is when Jerry is finally gone, he tries to spin it and claim he wanted to hire a GM all along but Jerry refused.

If this clown is going to continue to run football ops for the rest of ever, there’s no real hope. He is in WAY over his head.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score

Stephen Jones is not only "Capboy" but I consider him as the "man with a million lies." He is worst than his Dad. At least he doesn't lie as much as Stephen.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Not signing a veteran DT was more of a head scratcher to me.

I wanted a young pair of fresh legs at RB but it didn’t happen.

Im actually happy they didn’t reach for need in a RB poor draft. Im discouraged because they should have prepared to lose both Elliott and Pollard years ago and been ahead of it, or at least along side of it.

Now they are reduced to bringing a cooked Elliott back? That would never have happened elsewhere. It’s either about the personal relationship or Jerry wanting to feel vindicated by having him play cheap.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
...Bullet, I dont feel Henry ever wanted to come hear. So its kinda mute.
It makes you wonder though…moved out here to Dallas…seems like for family reasons it would make sense to be here. But yeah we don’t know if he wanted to come here….seems like he did though.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Little Enos’ incompetence aside, I’m good with not signing Henry. Putting $ or draft capital into the RB position is foolish.
I mean if the options are spend money on Royce Freeman and Zeke or overpay for Henry? I’d much rather overpay for the position.

I thought Henry would bring a much needed physicality and leadership to this team. Some stuff outside of just playing running back.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If I were Dak, Cedee Lamb or Micah Parsons, if getting a championship ring was very important to me,I would think long and hard about staying with a team that is led by guys that have proven they don’t know how to build a championship roster in the cap era.

Those players could still make a ton of money in free agency somewhere else. But if they want something more than money - like a ring - why stick around for the excuses you’re going to hear from the entitled son of the owner? Or some lame attempt at excuse humor like “we’ve found the secret sauce“ or “that silly oblong ball just didn’t bounce our way”.

Seriously, if I were those guys I would really think long and hard before signing here again.